Author Topic: Oil Pump Dyno  (Read 39549 times)

DubyaTF

• View Profile
Re: Oil Pump Dyno
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2021, 05:32:40 PM »

Yet more reasons to just read every single post on this forum- it'll make me think and learn something every time. I truly appreciate the access and shared knowledge here!!

It seems to me that you'll always end up with scarring on the cover from the main shaft and rotor just due to gravity being on at all times. Would it be possible to spring load the extended shaft to alleviate the weight of the rotor onto the cover? Maybe a Torrington in the cover? Maybe an ever so slight helical cut to the rotor as to create "lift" inside the pump so these rotating parts don't drag? What about a small groove on the main shaft with clip or pin to hold it up off the cover?

I also wondered about trying different progressive rate springs on the bypass.

Bill, have you tested it with a longer rear sump pickup yet? It'd be interesting to see different i.d. and length pickup tubes too.
Jeff

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2021, 05:48:27 PM »
Jeff -

I'd have to totally tear up my test rig in order to test a long pickup tube.  If you check out the photos in my first post, the pump drive fixture is designed to surround a reservoir pan and hold the pump / pickup in that space.  I guess it would be possible to put a really long reservoir pan on there to handle the long pickup. 

I never intended to look at the effects of long pickups.  The real purpose of this rig is to develop an advanced pump design I'm working on.  That uses a standard front sump pickup for now.  The testing of production pumps provides a baseline to measure my new pump against.  Sharing these results is a bonus!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2021, 09:45:10 PM »
This needs some cleanup but this is the gist of it.

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2021, 12:19:09 AM »
Sweet!  How hard was it to bore into that rotor?  Looking good  :D

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2021, 01:02:15 AM »
Oddly enough that shaft is like butter... I was shocked at how soft it is....Doing it in that fashion isnt what you would do long term of course but for these purposes it should work just fine  . I dont think it will explode on you.    8)

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2021, 01:16:44 AM »
Good to know  :)  It will be interesting to see how much you can reduce deflection with that setup.  I wonder how easy it will be to get everything centered up before cinching the cover bolts down.

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2021, 04:50:41 AM »
I understand that this is what you are supposed to say  , but , I dont think this thing can or will hit the cover any longer or deflect. This one will be dead centered as I will do these four cover bolt holes and then once they are installed use a drill guide I am making to go right down main street and drill the hole for the bushing using the upper bore to locate it.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2021, 08:08:12 AM »
Well, late to this party, but thinking out loud, some questions that I have always wondered about:

1. Inlet shape of the pickup tube bell.  A vortex forms at the entry which can entrain air into the oil.

There were some articles years ago about using a square shaped pickup as some aftermarket oil pan manufacturers use.
The Chevy LS (sorry about that) has an oval shaped inlet.

2. Does a gerotor oil pump create harmonics which backfeed to the distributor and cause spark scatter?

3. Wondering how closely the 429CJ dual entry oil pump cover fits the FE pump. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2021, 08:57:33 AM »
You can also heat the object orange, rub it with Cow hooves and quench in water. Thats the old blacksmith way,and it does not smell like strawberries. The burning hooves carburize the surface. It is most practical to remove hooves from the cow first ;D

LOL, I knew this thread was going to get good. You can always count on Heo! ;D

When it comes to metals and heat treating, Japanese sword makers had incredible knowledge centuries ago that we still can't figure out today. Scientists have been researching that stuff for decades...to no avail. The closest anyone came to matching the hardness and pliability of certain 'established gold standards' in vintage Katana making was an American farmer who did the stuff as a hobby. After 20 something years, he came across a process that he thought was as close as anyone had gotten. After a very in-depth investigation, the scientists agreed. The process was very long and drawn out, using old methods of ceramic pottery in coal fired kilns, and requiring multiple heat treatments (with certain additives added at very specific times and temps) that nobody, short of a mental patient, could dream of. There was a very good 2 hour documentation made just on his processes, but I never saved the link.

Not that any of that has anything to add to this thread  ::)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2021, 09:25:11 AM »
OK so now you are going into either A" Using a good sharp Katana so take the life out of a cow or
B: Using a good sharp Katana to cleave the hooves from said cow...
Or both I guess.
Which begs the Question , Did it have to be a cow and not a bull ?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2021, 09:52:27 AM »
1. Inlet shape of the pickup tube bell.  A vortex forms at the entry which can entrain air into the oil.

There is probably something significant to that comment.
A lot of (most?) aftermarket oil pickups seem to use a square or rectangular inlet and sometimes use a piece of perforated sheet metal instead of a screen.  Yet I cannot remember ever seeing an OEM pickup as being anything other than round with a fairly open mesh screen.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2021, 11:50:33 AM »
Oh- my - gawd,

So just when I thought this epic post by an epic guy on this epic forum couldn’t get any better,

Ya had to go and throw in the cow hooves.

This is, without doubt, the best forum on the internet.

So, I haven’t had a chance to catch up on this thread, but I’m wondering if anyone has brought up the new Ford 7.3L oil pump? Looks like a small version on the oil pump used in the GM 700r4 trans.
But what’s cool about the Ford pump is that it’s a variable displacement pump. Seems like a really good idea. Would be super cool if someone could adapt that style pump to use in any old engine.

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2021, 12:23:53 PM »

But what’s cool about the Ford pump is that it’s a variable displacement pump. Seems like a really good idea. Would be super cool if someone could adapt that style pump to use in any old engine.

Joey - Stay tuned.  That is a vane-type pump which is fairly expensive and not as tough as a geroter pump.  You do hear Brian Wolfe touting the benefits of variable displacement oil pumps in the video though.  They were able to hit their fuel economy targets without resorting to cylinder deactivation, simply by going to a variable displacement oil pump!  Clearly it's worth something...

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
Oh - Heo, Let's hope the cows aren't reading this Forum!

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2021, 01:31:13 PM »
To be fair , thats a Bull , we arent clear on if they are safe or not.....