Author Topic: Crites FE Headers.,... in stock now  (Read 1191 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Crites FE Headers.,... in stock now
« on: January 29, 2021, 04:00:18 PM »
I got a call the other day and they say my Galaxie headers are ready to ship!  Huh??  I told the lady on the phone that I was told they won't be available til like April....but not complaining.  Looks like I won't have to build my own for now.

I won't be coating them, since the last set didn't last very long and were getting pretty rusty all over(not including the smashed tubes on the bottom LOL).  I think some KBS coating will do the trick for now.  Then just touch them up when needed.  My first set of Crites headers lasted nearly 20 yrs on spray bomb black paint.
Larry

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Crites FE Headers.,... in stock now
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 10:06:14 PM »
I've wondered these days, now that bead/walnuitshell/media blasting is readily available to us mere mortals, if doing so on now headers prior to spray-bombing them with say VHS paint, would they last longer?
Bob Maag

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:09:49 AM »
Just good degreasing would allow adequate paint adhesion on new pipes.  I don't think roughness would make it better??

When I used to pull the engine ever few years, I would wire brush the tubes and bomb them again.  They only started to get kinda thin on the ends of the tubes, so I replaced them since they were "old".  The local coater apparently didn't do a very good job on the new set as they rusted much too quickly.   I'll go back to painting them.

Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 05:08:50 PM »
Well, finally got around to getting the headers fit into the wagon.

When the box showed up last week, it looked like it went through a metal shredder!!  I was like..."oh, no".   They were okay, no real damage.  A quick evaluation had me concerned about fitment.  The drivers side looked like it would in NO way bolt into the car.  The pipes and flanges just looked way out of whack.

Today was the day, I got the old ones off and slipped the new drivers side in.  Wow, they fit.  I won't say perfect, but more then well enough.  Nothing hits anything and the collector does fit back on the end of the pipes with just a touch of finesse.  The passenger side fit even better and the four pipes were near dead on for the collector.

Whew.....

Now to pull them and get them painted.  I think I will go with the KBS high heat paint and see how that holds up.  Prep work is a bit involved, but I have time.
Larry

StarlinerRon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 05:50:28 PM »
I've found that a light media blast makes the paint adhere better after you clean off the makers oily flim.

My Starliners exhaust system is still good, it was installed in 1968.

Ron.