Author Topic: Power- Solid Roller vs Hydro Roller ?  (Read 6177 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Power- Solid Roller vs Hydro Roller ?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »
It's an advantage when your job is to say "What happens when we do this?"  No matter the consequences. 

Sure would make my days at work be a LOT less stressful!!
Larry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 04:12:17 PM »
IIRC, Hot Rod/Engine Masters has a show about running solid rollers on a hydro roller cam.  And the conclusion was, yes - it made more power.  Had to tighten the lash way up as I recall.

Frieberger is a HACK and yes I would say it to his face because he admits it on TV! Just like when he experimented with less oil in the pan making more HP. Heck take ALL the oil out for one pull! KABOOM!!!! But it was worth 10 HP 'til she blew! He is a Darwin award winner for sure.

Didn't know he did that. Not engine related but......

Long ago, we saw Glidden's crew drain about 1qt. of oil from the Lenco and totally drain the gear lube from the 9" rearend (!) just before the final run at Union Grove in WI on a late Sunday afternoon. He beat Nicholson (both in 351C powered Pro Stockers) by the slimmest of margins. They told my bro' the lessened drag on both units was worth a tad of e.t. but admitted doing so was rare. Talk about doing all can to win! 
Bob Maag

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 11:11:54 AM »
   When thousandths of a second were on the line , we did some questionable stuff like pure ATF in the diff for ONE pass. ( still dumb to this day) Yes it ruined the ring and pinion. The Glidden story is true. He isn't the only one to pull some oil out of a Lenco OR have lightened internals in one.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 04:46:08 PM »
IIRC, Hot Rod/Engine Masters has a show about running solid rollers on a hydro roller cam.  And the conclusion was, yes - it made more power.  Had to tighten the lash way up as I recall.

Frieberger is a HACK and yes I would say it to his face because he admits it on TV! Just like when he experimented with less oil in the pan making more HP. Heck take ALL the oil out for one pull! KABOOM!!!! But it was worth 10 HP 'til she blew! He is a Darwin award winner for sure.

LOL - Never meant it as a recommendation, just noting that I saw the test and results.  It's for sure a cludge.  I'd rather run the correct setup.

I'd tend to agree about Frydaddy, having watched those guys on the Roadkill thing.  In general, I've seen them do things that any slightly more competent car person would have done way better.  Watched them do the engine swap in the Summit Racing parking lot.  We used to do swaps and upgrades behind the Wedgwood Bowling Alley in a single evening.  Updated the drivetrain in a Z-28 one night starting about 6 and they were doing test burnouts in the alley by midnight.  They did one show using a 351C and they were completely clueless about all of it.  Didn't watch much after that one.  Remembering that Roadkill and the like are primarily entertainment and not technical references or education. 

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 04:59:56 PM »
...Just like when he experimented with less oil in the pan making more HP. Heck take ALL the oil out for one pull! KABOOM!!!! ...

You do things for knowledge.  He does things for ratings.  While they aren't mutually exclusive by rule, the don't normally coincide.  He is by no means the worst of the lot.  Some of these guys (and gals, now) go by what they think they know.  And never let the facts get in the way of a good story line. 

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 05:22:32 PM »
Anytime RK,RKG and now Faster With Fineigenn get near a Ford engine install they forget the rear block plate....
Lance H

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 11:34:23 AM »
Anytime RK,RKG and now Faster With Fineigenn get near a Ford engine install they forget the rear block plate....

100%.  The Chevy-centric knowledge base sticks out.  Had to explain that to my friend that told me I needed to fab a full rear plate for the dragster.  Using the block plate and the half motor plate as a pattern, then will have to route out the new plate to let the starter pass through .250 worth of aluminum to bolt to the block plate/bell combo for a 157 tooth small block.  He's like "That's crazy stuff".   ;D

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »
Anytime they get NEAR a Ford I want to buy it before they destroy it.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 12:09:19 PM »
   Please don't misunderstand me, Dave is a nice guy and I see him often at local swap meets. My issue is with the chewing gum and bailing wire approach. Making a junkyard engine run is NO great accomplishment. Building death traps isn't either.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »
Totally get it. Hey I’m employed by the TV industry. He has his schtick and it’s all good. And he seems to be a great guy.
BUT damn cars like that 63 or 64 Gal that they pulled out of a yard to “fix”. That one hurt. I wanted to buy that car so badly to give it the care it deserves.
But we all get it Randy, no worries, btw my pistons look awesome.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 01:24:56 PM »
I was just about done with the show when they found the Mach 1, used a giant forklift to pick it up, proceeded to get it running, then practically destroyed the car running the dog$@#* out of it before they even left the parking lot. It's bad enough when they destroy average junk just for ratings, but when they were doing that to a desirable car, I was ready to call it quits. I just wasn't going to watch idiots destroy valuable cars.

To my surprise though, and to Frieburgers credit, he actually rescued the car after the show and has put a lot of money into it and made it a very respectable street car. Probably nicer than any other car he has, and which he readily admits is his favorite driver now. Not long after that episode aired, he actually came up to me at Drag Week to look over my car and talk about it, getting ideas for what he wanted to do to his Mach.

He does seem like a nice guy, and he's probably just trying to make a decent living by taking advantage of the opportunities given to him. Hard to blame a guy for that.

Finnegan seems to be able to blow up any engine that he has, no matter how well it's built, or by whom. That always smacks of somebody with more money than brains. But hey, if you can afford to toss another $30k+ for another new engine, for the umpteenth time, then I guess why not?  ::)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:28:45 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 01:30:51 PM »
It's an advantage when your job is to say "What happens when we do this?"  No matter the consequences. 

Sure would make my days at work be a LOT less stressful!!

LOL! I have to admit, when working with/on old junk at my job, I've done that a time or two when nobody was around. Usually with a fire extinguisher handy  ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 02:56:13 PM »
When Stock Eliminator cars were first trying to get in the 9's one A/SA Hemi Mopar ran and there was a bang and parts on the track at 1000 feet (still went 10.10 as i recall) No smoke and no oil on the track. The track cleanup consisted of picking up a smoking hot connecting rod and half a Hemi piston off the track which they sat on the guardwall near the starting line. I grabbed it and took it to the guys pit area. He was towed back and jacked the car up and there was a huge gash in the bottom of the oil pan sump.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 06:06:36 PM »
When Finnigan and Co. destroyed that 64 Galaxie I wanted to kick both of them in the junk for what they did. The fix could have been so easy but nooooo...They had to "See what happen if they did [fill in the blank] Then when they did that "engine swap" in the parking lot, that was just over the top stupid. IIRC it was a trade school class lesson on engine rebuilding 101. Did they preoil it, nope. They didn't even bar the engine over to see if it was able to spin. Nope. It didn't help either when one of them made a negative comment about "having to work on a Ford POS or something to that effect and how Mopars/GMs were more to their liking. Good...Go destroy those and leave the Fords to people who care.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2021, 07:36:31 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:11:54 PM by 427HISS »