Author Topic: TFS or Cobra Jet Heads  (Read 4986 times)

410bruce

• View Profile
Re: TFS or Cobra Jet Heads
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2021, 01:53:57 PM »
I have to give 67xr7cat a huge thank you for prompting me to sonic check the block. It appears you were right.
I did a quick check on the more important areas and came up with dismal readings. The thinnest I hit was .042 and a bunch between .050-.060.
So, won't be doing a 428 now! lol.

I may be back to 410bruce. Just rechecked some areas on the 410 block and am coming up with every reading so far between .139-.196.
Taking it down to the machine shop as soon as I get off of here. Will recheck after block is cleaned.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2021, 02:31:07 PM »
Is the 410 block std now?If so or if already oversize and the .139 reading is the thinnest you may be able to get to 4.13 with some creative boring.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »
I used a D3 or D2 block ( been 21 years)on my 410/416 and had plenty at .030 ,  still beating on it to this day

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 04:24:45 PM »
I have one relatively inexpensive guy I use for quick machine work of iron FE heads, machine labor only, I put them together   

Cores - for this coverage, call them free
Labor for shot blast, pressure test, bronze guides, valve job, cut for spring seats, cut deck and exhaust face - 478 (no seats)
Set of 11/32 SI CJ valves - 255
Set of valve guides - 115
Set of springs, cups and locks - 300
Set of Manley Viton seals - 38

That's 1186 for a pair stock unported head not counting a handful of shims.  If you add 500 in porting, which is cheap, you are at 1686.  All it takes is having to buy a set of CJ cores and you are above the TFS for less flow

I really like building stout iron head engines, but it's not a money saver unless you don't care about the light parts and more power

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2021, 05:27:51 PM »
Bruce sorry to hear the bad news on the 428 block. Glad you caught this sooner rather than later, like many have.

I am a factory iron fan, but mainly because I am putting my 427 and 428CJ cars back as they were. If I was building something "not correct" I would not spend money on damaged iron. If I had a nice set to work with may make it a tougher decision.

Additionally, with the news on your 428 block makes going with the TFS heads much easier, to get closer to your goal.

410bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2021, 06:38:06 PM »
Again, thank you all.
As much as I like running factory iron, I think going new aluminum is the correct way at this point--especially after Ross itemized the needed parts etc.

427John--I have a set of NOS .030 TRW forged pistons already for the 410. It would be neat to take it out to a standard 428 bore but at this point, I don't want to chance it. Plus, I think I'd rather have the thicker cylinder walls and a few less cubic inches.

Gregwill16--Thanks man. Yeah, it's kind of a kick in the Jimmy but like you say, better to find out now.
I'm just glad it didn't sell. I would have hated for something to go bad on whoever bought it.

Edit to add, the 410 block is at standard bore and sonic checked again after cleaning at the machine shop--still good readings.  8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 06:41:13 PM by 410bruce »

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2021, 09:30:10 PM »
Oh nice,I didn't know TRW made a forged piston for 410's sounds like your set.As far as the labor for machining the heads I guess that depends on where your at and the shop you use.The guy I use will usually charge me 300 for guides,3 angle valve job,spring seat cut as necessary,mill and assemble.If I'm going to larger valves then its a little more for larger seats and throat cut.While I'm not doing  full race max effort engines, I've yet to be disappointed by his work.I do have to be patient and let him fit my stuff in when he can because he is continually swamped with guys wanting him to do their high boost turbo diesel and turbo ricer import heads ,he shows me some of the torched stuff they bring in because they had their tune wrong,hoping he can save it because they had a ton of money in the porting,its surprising how much of the stuff he can fix.He likes doing my non run of the mill stuff like FE and chevy 348-409 stuff,but mostly its 429-460 heads.