Author Topic: TFS or Cobra Jet Heads  (Read 4982 times)

Ghoughton

• View Profile
Re: TFS or Cobra Jet Heads
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »
I like the idea of using iron too. If it’s in the budget, I’d keep the CJ heads and have Craft CNC them.
They have some pretty good programs for iron heads. I think cost is $600ish

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 05:21:09 PM »
TFS is a good head but on a street car is overkill unless you run cal tracks and slicks. Eddy is still a good stock replacement head for a cj its lighter you should find used ones at a good price now. 600 hp is nice to talk about if your car will handle it set the car up first then if you think you need more h/p go for it.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 06:10:04 PM »
I have done two almost identical 461s, one with trick flows and one with craft ported iron heads. The iron is down approximately 40 hp.  In fact the TF had 2 degrees less intake lobe

If you do go with craft ported heads, make sure you talk to him about chamber size because they end up at about 84 cc if you go to the full Monte. He can port them without doing the chamber as well but you lose a little benefit

There are some advertised figures out there but craft heads have been showing to be about 295 CFM. FYI I have used two sets absolutely nothing wrong with them but in a completely different league than trick flows.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 08:04:59 PM »
What do you feel the CJ heads are worth in their current condition? Not asking because I wish to buy them but to help you to think about a cost analysis. They are in hand and might be worth more to you to continue investing in them. You have lost some of the market ( as you have realized due to the illegible numbers). What I’m saying is you might be ahead(dollar wise) to keep and build the CJ heads as opposed to selling them. JMHO
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 10:09:50 PM »
Timing is everything when buying or selling FE parts.  Right now, the TFS heads are on BO until sometime in March from Summit.  They are listed at $1919.00 for a pair that is CNC ready and flow upwards of 330 cfm.  A pair of Edelbrock RPM heads are available at $1539.00, but only flow about 260 cfm, which would be about 70 hp down from the TFS on a typical 428 build.  Rather than spend big money to repair cracked heads, do all the machine work, and that would take time, order the TFS heads now, and by the time you get ready to assemble the 428, the heads should be available, and you will be first in line by the Back Order.  The price difference between the Edelbrock and TFS makes them a "no brainer" because of the flow advantage and horsepower potential.  Remove any logos you don't want, paint them, and only a few people will be able to tell the difference when showing off your CJ valve covers.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2021, 11:59:12 PM »
I agree with earlier advice of making a plan and sticking to it,another thing to keep in mind is the car you are putting into,is the suspension set up to handle that kind of power and can it put 500hp to the ground.If this engine is going into a mostly stock street car, I can't honestly say I can tell the difference between a car with 400hp spinning its tires and a car with 500hp spinning its tires.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 12:44:56 AM »
I find it oddly amusing that apparently nobody had fun or ran hard in their cars when running old junk iron heads.  Well, except for the guys who actually raced. ::)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 01:26:38 AM »
A question I've got about the aluminum heads,when you buy a set can you just take them out of the box install them on the engine and go?Is that the recommended norm,the reason I ask is that on some other forums guys recommend that the heads be checked  before use especially offshore brands.Is this something that is brand dependent or should it be done for all?

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 03:42:11 AM »
A question I've got about the aluminum heads,when you buy a set can you just take them out of the box install them on the engine and go?Is that the recommended norm,the reason I ask is that on some other forums guys recommend that the heads be checked  before use especially offshore brands.Is this something that is brand dependent or should it be done for all?

The set of TFS heads I got look nice, nicer than TFS stuff from years ago as have not seen any in a long time. That said  I will be disassembling and checking everything over before I use them. Seen too  many times (not just TFS) where not all the machining crud is cleaned out, springs not set up right and guides too tight. In engine building good idea to check everything. All too often stuff is not right and requires massaging...

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 03:50:38 AM »
I agree with earlier advice of making a plan and sticking to it,another thing to keep in mind is the car you are putting into,is the suspension set up to handle that kind of power and can it put 500hp to the ground.If this engine is going into a mostly stock street car, I can't honestly say I can tell the difference between a car with 400hp spinning its tires and a car with 500hp spinning its tires.

Is not hard to put power to the pavement these days. Are some pretty sticky tires out there and how make a car hook up has been figured out for a long time.

Regarding the TFS heads being overkill, keep in mind they have benefits other than just at full throttle. Small intake port should help drivability, efficient chamber help with detonation and give better combustion, and a head like that can make a goal with less cam duration which will make it more street friendly. So it is not just about HP.

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 08:39:18 AM »
I went back and read your original post about the condition of your heads and I can tell you I wouldn't mess with them. You are going to
have a bunch of cash in them just to make them usable.  I think the Trick Flows are the way to go hands down. JDC has already outlined the advantages along with some of the other guys so I won't labor the point. If they were HR or TP's I'd vote for fixing them.
The biggest thing will be every time you get behind the wheel or raise the hood you'll be wondering "what If"
My 2 cents for what it's worth

garyv

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
I would get the TFS heads  too , you'll appreciate the extra power at the stop light when needed  8)

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 11:37:51 AM »
Don't forget there is a big difference in chamber size, even with a stock CJ versus a TFS

As far as the previous question, can you just bolt them on?  Maybe.  I have had 2 sets of TFS that I could have, and one I couldn't, (the no-go was an early set that were dirty), almost every Edelbrock I couldn't, seems like they use a random valve spring generator LOL
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 12:23:37 PM »
I always find it funny that some people talk about how a new pair of aftermarket heads is "only a few hundred dollars more", but conveniently neglect any cost on getting the new heads checked out and any problems corrected before they are ready to bolt on the engine. What is the typical cost to have the TFS rocker mounting surfaces cut down .200" or so? I doubt the machine shop would be cutting al that up in one pass. The complete cost from out of the box to bolted on with whatever machining and parts are required should be addressed when doing a fair apples to apples comparison to a set of fully rebuilt iron heads.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 12:35:22 PM »
I always find it funny that some people talk about how a new pair of aftermarket heads is "only a few hundred dollars more", but conveniently neglect any cost on getting the new heads checked out and any problems corrected before they are ready to bolt on the engine. What is the typical cost to have the TFS rocker mounting surfaces cut down .200" or so? I doubt the machine shop would be cutting al that up in one pass. The complete cost from out of the box to bolted on with whatever machining and parts are required should be addressed when doing a fair apples to apples comparison to a set of fully rebuilt iron heads.

POP is making stands for the TFS heads.  Don't need to mill anything. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports