Author Topic: Learn Me On Valve Springs  (Read 1602 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Learn Me On Valve Springs
« on: January 16, 2021, 09:17:36 PM »
I've been looking at various spring types like, duals, Beehive's and Conical.
What do you like best and why, for street/track and not extreme high lift cam ?

https://www.compcams.com/search/Valve+springs?product_list_limit=30

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/beehive-springs-sound-great-but-will-they-work-for-you/

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Learn Me On Valve Springs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 10:21:56 PM »
On a very simple and basic level, 'ordinary', straight springs are all that's needed for ordinary builds. Springs with some other shape are brought into play to solve some sort of problem that has arisen due to complication. One example would be that springs that are smaller at the retainer end take somewhat smaller (read lighter due to size) retainers and this helps because there is less mass to be controlled by the spring. All the details get much more complicated as you follow along any such path.

The most basic that fits your intent will suffice. And your wallet will thank you.

KS
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 10:23:55 PM by cammerfe »

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 09:23:59 PM »
Thank you.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 10:31:26 AM »
The best plan for that IMHO is to use someone with experience (like Brent Lykins, and others) and run the spring recommended for the cam and application.  I quit picking things out of catalog s long ago.  At the very least, for an off the shelf cam run the spring recommended by the cam grinder and set up per specs.  It's not going to be cheap, so you want the right and best parts up front to help insure maximum service life.  Lots of engines use the "beehive" style springs, they have less harmonic issues and it seems they will do the job many times with less overall spring pressure.  The 7.3L gas engine in our 2020 F-350 uses those style springs. 

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 11:36:10 AM »
I also believe that you should buy the springs per recommendation.
I've heard good and bad on the beehive springs, how about you guys ?