Author Topic: I Need USPS Return To Sender Help....  (Read 2127 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
I Need USPS Return To Sender Help....
« on: January 14, 2021, 07:45:15 AM »
Gonna put this out to the experience here on the forum. 

On December 11th, I sent a set of pistons/lifters/rockers to a customer in Australia.  Cost me $214. 

Yesterday, I get an email from where he had been tracking it and he found that it was coming back to me.  Sure enough, it had made it to NY Customs, and it was delivered back to me yesterday, return to sender. 

The reason was "Dangerous Goods/Contents Prohibited, Non-Mailable Dangerous Goods".

There was nothing dangerous in it, I had the content description labeled as "Auto Parts".   Apparently they had opened it and looked inside as some of the packing tape looks new.

From what I can find on the internet, I have no recourse since it's been returned to me.  In addition, it's outside of any 30-day window to file a claim, etc. 

Has anyone ever had this happen?  Anyone work for USPS?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cleandan

• View Profile
Re: I Need USPS Return To Sender Help....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
Brent, I have not dealt with this specific issue, but I did spend more than a decade working in, and managing, a company that shipped all sorts of electronic equipment.

Gather all your receipts...everything, and go through it carefully.
You are looking for potential arbitrary information that may have been confusing to the shippers, or customs.

Customs being your biggest hurtle because they are right and you are stupid.

Now that you have gone through your receipts and found no issues go through the parts looking for issues.
One I can see lies in the oils and lubricants protecting the parts from rust.
These may be construed as dangerous, or harmful in some manner...A stretch I know, but this might be it.

Otherwise you have a box full of various metals.
I assume the metals are steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and maybe titanium...nothing illegal, dangerous or out of line with that.

Take your story to your local USPS, talk to the manager, make them explain exactly where the refusal issue lies...If they can not then ask if you can simply reship the parts...at no extra charge because you already paid and were refused without just cause...with maybe a better Customs paperwork description. Bring your parts for direct visual inspection if requested, but leave them in the car for quick access.

I do not understand, other than the protective oils part, where your engine parts should have been refused for the reason they listed.

Oh, by the way, your generic description of "Auto Parts" may have triggered a refusal because many criminals ship "auto parts" that are anything but auto parts.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:22:37 AM by cleandan »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 08:45:57 AM »
I would likely see if you can make an appointment to talk to the Postmaster at your local post office and see if he has a recommendation for the next one.

Can you use FEDEX or UPS or is that too expensive?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:47:21 AM »
The other two are twice as expensive as USPS.

I did change the description on the customs form. 

The funny thing is that I've sent 4 packages to this same guy over the past month, one is a camshaft that will have rust protectant on it, two cylinder heads, etc.  I think they really screwed up, but I have no recourse.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:04:38 AM »
The other two are twice as expensive as USPS.

I did change the description on the customs form. 

The funny thing is that I've sent 4 packages to this same guy over the past month, one is a camshaft that will have rust protectant on it, two cylinder heads, etc.  I think they really screwed up, but I have no recourse.

Don't give up yet Brent.
It really sounds like they screwed up...made a mistake...like we all do from time to time.
Be cordial and accepting of the mistake and allow them to help you make things right by reshipping the items (no cost to you because you already paid)

Force them to identify exactly where the issue lies...and when they can not they will be painted into a corner and likely ship the package without issue.

The "dangerous package" claim is fairly arbitrary, especially when you read the dangerous package rules and regualtions you signed for when filling out the original paperwork.

Make them tell you why your aluminum rockers, steel piston rings, and forged pistons are dangerous or hazardous in any manner...They can't because they are not.

Once that has been established, play a little dumb and ask for their assistance in how to best remedy the mistake they made when denying your shipment.

Keep very goot notes on all of this, including names dates and times of everyone you speak to.
Do not let them package your product for you...you will do a better job.
Double check every box and get receipts for everything just in case this shipment gets "lost" on the second try.

Oh, be persistent, but not nagging. They often use a "sorry nothing we can do" as the first tactic in hopes you will simply go away and not be a problem any longer...even if they are 100% at fault and liable for the results.

Lots and lots, and lots of claims are "solved" with this tactic...and it works most of the time.

Proof, receipts, and making them directly show you why you were denied often gets you useful results when you have no issues to begin with because they made a mistake.

Now, if you had a can of spray paint in with the auto parts you are sunk.

Keep us posted because I am curious how this turns out.

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 10:01:58 AM »
Brent I have seen where customs have found drugs hidden in a set of pistons coming from south america to the US.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 10:42:23 AM »
Brent I have seen where customs have found drugs hidden in a set of pistons coming from south america to the US.

No dope smuggling here. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 10:49:56 AM »

No dope smuggling here.

With Brent being from Kentucky, it’s probably moonshine...

For the first time in my life, I’ve had a lot of trouble with USPS the past couple months with lost or late packages and letters.  I don’t know what’s going on but they’re having trouble.  Talking with friends and neighbors, they’re seeing it too.  Lucky you got the package returned to you.  The other carriers seem fine...albeit more pricey.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:58:04 AM »
While traveling in my work, the airport used to test my work cases for gunpowder residue, etc.  I wonder if something ON the box sent off a sniffer alarm?  Something, anything.  If you packaged it in the shop, what could have gotten on the box(es) that might make them "hazardous"?

Just a thought.

My work deals a lot with customs and all the paperwork, but the end user is a large corporation so I'm sure it is a bit more streamlined.
Larry

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 12:02:27 PM »
X2 on the moon shine ! lol

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 01:58:35 PM »
I had a hydraulic roller cam and lifters ship to Australia that disappeared in USPS system for six months.  It was eventually returned to me after being sent to Diamond pistons - I had used an old Diamond box INSIDE of the package I sent it in.  Someone at USPS opened up the box, found the Diamond address, and sent it to back them.  When they called and relayed it back to me the correct delivery and return addresses were still clearly visible on the outside carton.  I will never understand....

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 05:20:37 PM »
Brent, so if I read this correctly, USPS has had your package for over a month, and it never even made it out of the USA? I have never shipped much outside of North America, but surely that must not be a normal time frame? I have shipped parts from the West Coast of Canada, to Florida, and it took just over a week via ground shipping, how in the world can it possibly take over a month for a package to not even go 1/2 way across the country? Did they offer any explanation for the long period?
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 05:23:02 PM »
Brent, so if I read this correctly, USPS has had your package for over a month, and it never even made it out of the USA? I have never shipped much outside of North America, but surely that must not be a normal time frame? I have shipped parts from the West Coast of Canada, to Florida, and it took just over a week via ground shipping, how in the world can it possibly take over a month for a package to not even go 1/2 way across the country? Did they offer any explanation for the long period?

Yes sir.  Apparently it spent a while in customs in New York.  What stinks is that they conveniently returned it to me outside of a 30 day period. 

No explanation.  If you go online, they tell you to contact your local postmaster, so I did.  He says he has no clue and wants me to call customs.  Ridiculous.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

DubyaTF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 06:29:31 PM »

I tried mailing a tailgate handle for a F100 to a fellow Ford guy. USPS employee behind the desk gave me the "dangerous metal" act as well. It was wrapped in bubble wrap and cushioned with newspaper but somehow dangerous. Never spent another penny on the USPS and never will.

Sorry to hear about the trouble Brent.
Jeff

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 09:54:43 PM »
I guess I got lucky..... we were in Midway Utah visiting family and my wife wanted a rock. It was about 8-12 pounds. Walked it into the post office with it, grabbed the “it fits, it ships” box, wrapped the rock in newspaper and packed it in the box. Paid my money and shipped it. We flew home a few days later and it arrived shortly after we got home!!!

Brent, good luck dealing with the post office.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed