Author Topic: 63.5 Galaxie at Goodwood  (Read 1544 times)

Heo

• View Profile
63.5 Galaxie at Goodwood
« on: January 13, 2021, 08:04:02 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/GoodwoodRRC/videos/1705420169638208
Wounder how it feels sitting in a Austini mini hunted by a 60s Galaxie
the rearwindow must be filled by the grill :o ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: 63.5 Galaxie at Goodwood
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 07:53:47 AM »
The way he slides around corners, can you imagine trying to pass him? It'd be like trying to get around the fat lady at a buffet!  ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 08:05:37 AM »
I have been watching the historic races since the mid 1990's and I find it interesting how things have changed, specially the perspective and acceptance of certain vehicles.

The racing I like the most are GT cars and Saloon cars, of which the Galaxie fits into the Saloon car class.

ALL vehicles being raced are there by direct invitation from the event promoter.
You did not see the full sized American cars in the early years because they were not invited.

If you watch past races, (St. Marys Trophy is always good) you will hear the general tone based on how the commentators talk. In the past they spoke of "wallowing", "Hulking", "Barge like handling", "Beast like" "Ill handling" "All over the track" and any number of other less favorable terms when describing the American saloon cars on the track.

How the American cars placed made little difference because they were not liked or respected as "proper" type race cars in the eyes of the Brits...The American cars often won, but the Euro cars got the press.

Yet when the Jaguar MkI's, for instance, are being raced it is a gloroius sight to behold.
The driver of the "drifting" Jaguar...because you drift a Jaguar while you wallow in a Galaxie, is said to be deft and poised on the edge, or giving a harrowing effort in controlling the Jag on the brink with such precision.
All sorts of praise and accolades are bestowed upon the mighty Jaguar as is drifts far left, then far right through the chicane and other sweeping corners....Never mind the Galaxie literally followed the Jag in the same manner and then just walked away, passing the Jag as the track straightened out.

But, things have been slowly changing over the last 7ish years because a few owners and drivers have been making headlines with the American cars so consistently that the action just can not be ignored.
This 2020 clip shows that with the commentary being positive, rather than dismissive and derogatory towards the American cars.

I think these are great examples to showcase the differences in weight, horsepower, torque, and the best line or method of making a certain style vehicle perform.

The Cortina's, Mini's, A40's, 2002's and other small, light cars are certainly more agile and able to brake later into a corner. They would outperform the Galaxies in a tight turn, short straight course.
But add even a moderate straight to the course and suddenly the acceleration and top speed limitations of the small cars comes into play...and things change.

I am glad the bias against the American cars is fading somewhat, but I figure it will never go away.
When these cars were being raced in the 60's the bias was heavy.
The French regulated FIA rules were written to favor non-American vehicles while hindering the American's directly...Specially in the Rally racing world. 

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 12:51:44 PM »
The way he slides around corners, can you imagine trying to pass him? It'd be like trying to get around the fat lady at a buffet!  ;D
Fat lady at a buffet ;D ;D dont get me started ;D ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 01:25:07 PM »
Guy that used to run at our drag strip has a giant Pontiac - Bonneville I think.  Huge.  Big motor, ran in the low 7s.  When he was running it I had the slow motor so he would be chasing.  Running that car first time, I was in the right lane.  At the finish I'd look out the left window and all I see from my rear door to the spectator side of the track is this wall of yellow sheet metal and chrome grill.  Laughed my butt off, it was the craziest thing to see at 90 MPH.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:45:29 PM »
I have been watching the historic races since the mid 1990's and I find it interesting how things have changed, specially the perspective and acceptance of certain vehicles.

The racing I like the most are GT cars and Saloon cars, of which the Galaxie fits into the Saloon car class.

ALL vehicles being raced are there by direct invitation from the event promoter.
You did not see the full sized American cars in the early years because they were not invited.

If you watch past races, (St. Marys Trophy is always good) you will hear the general tone based on how the commentators talk. In the past they spoke of "wallowing", "Hulking", "Barge like handling", "Beast like" "Ill handling" "All over the track" and any number of other less favorable terms when describing the American saloon cars on the track.

How the American cars placed made little difference because they were not liked or respected as "proper" type race cars in the eyes of the Brits...The American cars often won, but the Euro cars got the press.

Yet when the Jaguar MkI's, for instance, are being raced it is a gloroius sight to behold.
The driver of the "drifting" Jaguar...because you drift a Jaguar while you wallow in a Galaxie, is said to be deft and poised on the edge, or giving a harrowing effort in controlling the Jag on the brink with such precision.
All sorts of praise and accolades are bestowed upon the mighty Jaguar as is drifts far left, then far right through the chicane and other sweeping corners....Never mind the Galaxie literally followed the Jag in the same manner and then just walked away, passing the Jag as the track straightened out.

But, things have been slowly changing over the last 7ish years because a few owners and drivers have been making headlines with the American cars so consistently that the action just can not be ignored.
This 2020 clip shows that with the commentary being positive, rather than dismissive and derogatory towards the American cars.

I think these are great examples to showcase the differences in weight, horsepower, torque, and the best line or method of making a certain style vehicle perform.

The Cortina's, Mini's, A40's, 2002's and other small, light cars are certainly more agile and able to brake later into a corner. They would outperform the Galaxies in a tight turn, short straight course.
But add even a moderate straight to the course and suddenly the acceleration and top speed limitations of the small cars comes into play...and things change.

I am glad the bias against the American cars is fading somewhat, but I figure it will never go away.
The French regulated FIA rules were written to favor non-American vehicles while hindering the American's directly...Specially in the Rally racing world.

I guess some Britts are still angry about some tea party in Boston ;) ;D

DubyaTF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 06:43:18 PM »

If you haven't already check out:

https://youtu.be/-SeW612LX6I

https://youtu.be/IP5ZDy_n4TM

Proper FE racer cars here in the PNW!
Jeff

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 08:38:39 PM »

You hit the nail on the head.

I also have watched older Goodwood clips over the years and yes, the announcers were dismissive of big American iron. Yet, dismissive as they were, I often though they were more regretful their little underpowered cars were regularly run over, so to speak, by really fast old Detroit iron!
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 10:30:34 PM »
I don't know if you heard of Bo Ljungfelt Factory driver for Ford in the 60s. Won all stages
in Monte Carlo rally in 64 with a Falcon finished second total due to penalty points
Any way, my father in law was competing at a hilclimb in the 70s. Picko Troberg was there
with his bigblock camaro  (ZL1) with Bo Ljungfelt as a driver. Ironically sponsored
by lipton Tea, talking about Brits.
The speaker asked Picko Do you really think you stand a chance here with that big heavy car on this tight curvy
course?
 Well Bo is used to drive big heavy cars so i dont think that will be a problem.
Father in law said he had never seen a faster driver up that hill. He had the same time
at the Finish line that the factory works BMW Turbo that placed second,  had halftrack
And my father in law is not a big fan of American cars he is a SAAB guy

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:56 PM »
I don't know if you heard of Bo Ljungfelt Factory driver for Ford in the 60s. Won all stages
in Monte Carlo rally in 64 with a Falcon finished second total due to penalty points
Any way, my father in law was competing at a hilclimb in the 70s. Picko Troberg was there
with his bigblock camaro  (ZL1) with Bo Ljungfelt as a driver. Ironically sponsored
by lipton Tea, talking about Brits.
The speaker asked Picko Do you really think you stand a chance here with that big heavy car on this tight curvy
course?
 Well Bo is used to drive big heavy cars so i dont think that will be a problem.
Father in law said he had never seen a faster driver up that hill. He had the same time
at the Finish line that the factory works BMW Turbo that placed second,  had halftrack
And my father in law is not a big fan of American cars he is a SAAB guy
Heo, if you get into the history of rally racing, or other FIA sanctioned racing from the 60's, you can read the logbooks and other race literature.
When you do you will find the V8 Falcons were very dominant in Rally racing, often posting the quickest time on a stage over and over....But the find French rules were so heavily tipped in opposition to the American cars that the Americans basically had to run a literally perfect stage in order to win.
Otherwise they incured penalties that took them out of first place.
These rules are what helped cars like the Mini become "legendary" race winners...but few wish to look in the direction of reality when the rule books clearly state the Mini won.

Oh well, such is the way of history.
I would really like to be able to race in these classes but they are simply out of my budget..

I have a friend who does race vintage cars quite a lot and I have been able to get some full tilt race rides, not really allowed anymore, but years ago you signed a waiver, donned the proper geat, and off you went.

Back in the mid to late 1990's he said he was spending about $300 per hour doing this vintage racing and he is his own crew, owner, driver...everything.

Super fun is hardly adequate to describe what goes on.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 11:33:02 PM »
Yes the french rules >:(One year they thore down the winning car to
try  to find something to disqualyfie it for. Beacuse a uggly Citroen was
in second place  Aaaaand they fond out the lightbulbs was not
certified for rally so the winner was disqualified

I would like to, but it is out of my budget to and i care to much about
mangling up the car so! When i was young i had a lot of Volvo 544 and
Amazons they were fun sliding around on gravel and winter roads
and cheap and easy to get more power out of the B20 engine
The 65 mustang with Fourspeed was fun to

There is some Rally Falcon and Mustangs in Sweden and then we have
Bosse Rönnbäck with a 61 Starliner and a 56 Crown Victoria 8) ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt2VJEOuGKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xMwvxYfP2w

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:38:39 PM by Heo »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 07:43:30 AM »
There is some Rally Falcon and Mustangs in Sweden and then we have
Bosse Rönnbäck with a 61 Starliner and a 56 Crown Victoria 8) ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt2VJEOuGKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xMwvxYfP2w

I would have thought the spectators would be diving for cover when that Mustang came around. Mustangs and crowds don't usually get along so well ;D

There is an in car video floating around somewhere of a Falcon going from last to first on a road course. Some really amazing driving in an amazing car. I tried to find it but couldn't. I think someone posted a link to an article about it once and it is really an amazing build.

But there is this little video of a '64 going from 4th to 1st. Pretty much the same as that Galaxie, he just waits for a time to use that horsepower to make easy passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25ats_KXRk
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe