Author Topic: Chrome Thunderbird V/C's - Not Mine  (Read 2022 times)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

427John

• View Profile
Re: Chrome Thunderbird V/C's - Not Mine
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:55:33 PM »
Look identical to the ones on the 427 dressed as 390HP in my Starliner,wonder if I should go out there and see if they're still there.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 08:31:00 AM »
There's a good way to lose your 100% positive feedback.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:43:18 PM »
One of the pictures has  box which  says "NOS quality".  Anyone who would pay that kind of money for those valve covers has too much money and is completely out of touch with reality.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 07:18:09 PM »
I agree NOS quality,doesn't have oil varnish on the inside and gasket remains stuck to it.Even then I don't think real NOS would bring that kind of money.

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 11:48:32 PM »
My recollection is that the first "Chrome Dress-up Kit" that I bought from the Ford Dealer's Parts Dept. in 1961 was $38.00 and included the valve covers, air cleaner lid, fuel filter housing, dip stick and radiator/fan protection cover.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 02:07:06 AM »
I think at some point it included a chrome master cylinder lid also.I didn't think it included the fuel filter housing because that would only apply to High Perf engines,but maybe they offered a kit for both.I'm missing the dipstick and fuel filter housing in chrome to have a complete setup on my starliner.Everybody that sees my fan guard thinks it some aftermarket deal or that I had one chromed.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 02:23:07 AM »
Did the kit you bought in 61 have the beehive style lid for the air cleaner?I think they kept that style until sometime in 62,by 1963 they had switched to the same style as the early 289HP's and then in 65 that kit switched to the late 289HP style air cleaner.The earliest 1960 HP's used yet another air cleaner lid that resembled the Y-block T-bird air cleaner.

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 01:25:38 PM »
I believe you are correct John, there was a "Mason Jar" chromed lid included for the master cylinder. The thing I recall about the fuel filter housing was that it included a fresh filter element and seal. The air cleaner lid resembled the 61/62 style rather than the "domed" 60 type cover. These kits were targeted toward the HiPo engine owners when they were released but did not include the cubic inch/High Performance decals shown on the eBay offering. The plating was very high quality (for its time) on all the items in the Ford kits.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 02:11:47 PM »
With the prices he have on those covers....geezz i got the whole chrome dress up
kit on the -64 im almost a wealthy man just like that ;D
And the prices on a lot of the other stuff, is the wife forcing him to sell or ???

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 04:22:49 PM »
I believe you are correct John, there was a "Mason Jar" chromed lid included for the master cylinder. The thing I recall about the fuel filter housing was that it included a fresh filter element and seal. The air cleaner lid resembled the 61/62 style rather than the "domed" 60 type cover. These kits were targeted toward the HiPo engine owners when they were released but did not include the cubic inch/High Performance decals shown on the eBay offering. The plating was very high quality (for its time) on all the items in the Ford kits.
I agree on the quality of the chrome,it looks to be nice triple plate instead of the flash chrome you saw on later stuff.