Author Topic: I must be going senile  (Read 4325 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
I must be going senile
« on: January 04, 2021, 06:30:49 PM »
I can't believe it but I just paid $178.00 for a gasket set. I remember paying $23.00 for a full set for my 390 in the sixty's.
I will admit I wanted a set that was matched to my bore and all the cheaper gasket sets were way to big on bore size for what I wanted.
Oh well I guess that is what it cost so I had to pay it.
Greg

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: I must be going senile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 06:34:02 PM »
You’re not senile.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 08:37:27 PM »
Try a late model import. I need to replace the head gasket on my wife 2009 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4 banger. It`s a DOHC with a timing chain, the timing cover is RTV (not included in the kit), after shopping around several different parts stores, the best price I found for a FelPro head gasket set was almost $275.00 Canadian, before taxes. I know it was 30 years ago, but thats more than what I paid for the ring set, main & rod bearings,oil pump, AND complete gasket set for my trucks 390 in 1990.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 08:48:54 PM »
I can't believe it but I just paid $178.00 for a gasket set.

At least you didn't spend that much on a set of custom Cometic head gaskets that have less than 1hr run time and are now shelf ornaments....The times they are a changin'
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:29:00 PM »
On the imports. I once bought a new turbo Volvo. After a few years the turbo went out. I remember one of the cooling lines for the turbo was $800.00 at the dealership. I wasn't going to pay that for a 3 foot line so I made my own out of 5/16 line- cost less then 10.00 but did take a few hours to get the bends in the line just right so it would fit. My last import made car. 
Now I am a little worried. I ordered the TFS gasket set which says they use cometic head gaskets. I did call my machine shop and he said he decked the block for the MLS gaskets.
Well I can only hope for the best.
At least pulling the engine out of the 63 is easy [except for the rear lower fender bolts]as I just remove the front clip.
Greg

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 03:57:55 AM »
I have the same problem. I was a mechanic, '62-'70 and ran one of the engine shops I worked in. I had to quote prices and for myself, I got a 30% discount on my stuff. Those prices seem to not disappear from my memory but, at least, I know I'm going to be paying more than 1970 but, it just doesn't seem right  :'(
Frank

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 06:27:03 AM »
I feel your pain, I recently bought a set of Cometic head gaskets for the new 427 going in my 63 Galaxy. They cost me $150 each The rest of the set was from pieces I had over the yrs from other builds. This engine is the most expensive one so far and I still ain`t done, close but not done yet.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 12:07:05 PM »
   Are MLS head gaskets cheaper for (sorry for the profanity) chevys?

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »
Going Senile?  ;D  Charles said.. Well, nevermind.  ;D
In all seriousness even a set of relatively standard FelPro 1020's are 95.00.   I have been noticing huge price jumps at Summit post the Plan-demic.
I think many who are home are working on their vehicles to bide the time.  It's better than sitting on your posterior doing nothing. Great for keeping a sound mind. Unless your frustration causes flying tools.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 03:14:51 PM »
i used to have a lot of flying tool's but they got to expensive to throw around. Snap On charged me $58.00 for a  pair of side cutter pliers and 450.00 for a 1/2 inch air wrench.
I really don't see how a new mechanic can afford to buy the tools and tool box he will need to do his job.
Greg

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 03:23:12 PM »
I stumbled on a thread from 2002 on another forum where people were discussing shocks for classic Mustangs.  One guy said he could buy a pair of QA1s for $120.  They're $159ea now.  Oof. 

Side note, while working at a previous employer, we had a project that involved a considerable amount of water plumbing for process cooling.  The customer spec'd out AN fittings as opposed to the typical JIC37 fittings we would normally use (they are interchangeable, but it is not recommended to do so).  These were bought in bulk and used when needed to avoid "onesy-twosie" orders and long wait times.  At the end of the project, everything left over was dumped into a dumpster, including several thousand dollars worth of AN fittings of all shapes and sizes.  I vividly recall this as I click "add to cart" and "add to cart" over and over, watching $20 bills fly away with every click as I order up all of the fittings I need.  Didn't these things used to cost like $6 a piece?  Why are they suddenly $20-$30 a piece?

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 06:21:43 PM »
i used to have a lot of flying tool's but they got to expensive to throw around. Snap On charged me $58.00 for a  pair of side cutter pliers and 450.00 for a 1/2 inch air wrench.
I really don't see how a new mechanic can afford to buy the tools and tool box he will need to do his job.
Greg
When I became a mechanic, I got my dad's, 6 drawer Snap On tool chest and some of his tools and for my 18th Bday, my mom bought me a set of long, combination wrenches. They where $35, in '62. I bought as many Snap On things as I could afford, until about '68. I broke a screw driver tip and the Snap On guy refused to replace it. From that time on, I bought Craftsman, for almost everything. If it broke, no mater what it was, they replaced it, no questions asked.

Of course I still had to buy some specialty tools from Snap On but, only if no one else made it.

The last Snap On thing I bought was in '84. I needed to make a gasket and I needed a 2 oz ball peen. The truck pulled up, next door to my shop so, I walked over there and said, "give me a 2 oz hammer"! He did and releaved me of about $20. I thought to myself, I should have known! But, there was no other source, either.
Frank

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 06:48:14 PM »
I started out with the $99.00 Chaftsman tool set. No specialty tools but the other mechanics were real good about loaning any special tool I needed but I all ways returned them cleaned as soon as I finished with them.
Gradually I build my tools with mostly Snap On, Macs, and Matco.
I still bought Chaftsman tools because they were the best tool at the least cost, they just were not as nice looking as the others.
I remember buying my first Matco top tool box on time for $500.00 and really though I had something. Now I have 5 top and bottom box's lining both my walls.
My friend bought a Snap On box [bottom only] about 10 years aGO AND SPENT OVER $6000.00  for it. I remember thinking it was time to get out of the business.
Greg

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 08:07:19 PM »
I can't believe it but I just paid $178.00 for a gasket set. I remember paying $23.00 for a full set for my 390 in the sixty's.
I will admit I wanted a set that was matched to my bore and all the cheaper gasket sets were way to big on bore size for what I wanted.
Oh well I guess that is what it cost so I had to pay it.
Greg

Thats what a head gasket almost cost for my sons Nissan Diesel wich i bougt from a friend
that have a repair shop so that was what he pays for it netto

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 08:20:31 PM »
I started buying Craftsman when I was 15 or 16 y/o. Its all I buy unless Craftsman didn't make it. The last Snap-On piece I bought was a 600ft/lb torque wrench. I don't care for the Snap-On ratchets, open end or box wrenches as the polished chrome surface makes hanging on to it more difficult when your hands get oily or greasy. Craftsman has a textured surface making for a bit better grip. Warranty: Can't beat it. The only Craftsman tool I ever broke was a 12pt. 7/8" deep socket after leaning on it with a 4' pipe attached to the 24" breaker bar. The socket split...Gee, I wonder why. Took it back to the store and Sears replaced it, no questions asked. I seldom buy individual tools as I wait until Craftsman has a sale, which is often and I will buy a "set" for little more than I spend buying individual tools. Another consideration for adding or replacement is Sears or who ever is carrying Craftsman tools now is usually open 6 or 7 days a week. I don't have to wait until the Snap-On truck to arrive, which is maybe once a week. When you need a tool you need it now...not next week.