Author Topic: Best actual Ford cast 4V intake found  (Read 9395 times)

plovett

Re: Best actual Ford cast 4V intake found
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2021, 05:12:17 PM »
When did flowbenches come into use by the big three, or Ford, or others like Smokey Yunick? 

thanks,

pl

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2021, 07:18:47 PM »
Years ago, in early '70s, there were about 40 or so of the 427 engines sold for use on Lake Havasu boats with the aluminum heads with the "X" on them.  They were sold as GT-40 crate engines.  I had the aluminum heads in my hands back then, and they were really porous, as history will acknowledge.  I am just wondering if the intakes on those engines were the "K" variety.  What stumps me is the two raised studs on the intake ports.  Anyone know what they were used for?  Especially the #1 port.  Joe-JDC

Joe the GT40 engines with aluminum heads had a magnesium "in line" not sidewinder intake. Sidewinders were a Nascar thing because the pass side back ran richer on left turn ( oval) tracks so the carb was offset to correct it. I too am puzzled by the two stands.
  Randy
Do you mean inline as in not offset to one side?Surely not inline as in autolite inline 4 bbl.Would that be an SK or XE marked intake?

We called the "centered carb" ( side to side) an "inline" and the sidewinder had the carb offset to the driver's side. In my extensive searches for SK and XE parts , I have never seen an FE intake for an Autolite inline carb as FE development was over by then .For special parts to be made in EEE at Ford , there had to be a purpose or proposal ( for funding purposes) submitted and approved. I have hundreds of pages of SK part numbers and description with dates. Since there wasn't a logical need for the intake "I" don't believe one was ever created. I will NEVER claim to have seen it all , but I have seen allot of stuff others haven't.
     Randy
Did the magnesium intake have an SK or XE number or did it have a standard type casting number,and if so do you remember what it was?

mike7570

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »
When did flowbenches come into use by the big three, or Ford, or others like Smokey Yunick? 

thanks,

pl

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2021, 12:12:38 PM »
Years ago, in early '70s, there were about 40 or so of the 427 engines sold for use on Lake Havasu boats with the aluminum heads with the "X" on them.  They were sold as GT-40 crate engines.  I had the aluminum heads in my hands back then, and they were really porous, as history will acknowledge.  I am just wondering if the intakes on those engines were the "K" variety.  What stumps me is the two raised studs on the intake ports.  Anyone know what they were used for?  Especially the #1 port.  Joe-JDC

Joe the GT40 engines with aluminum heads had a magnesium "in line" not sidewinder intake. Sidewinders were a Nascar thing because the pass side back ran richer on left turn ( oval) tracks so the carb was offset to correct it. I too am puzzled by the two stands.
  Randy
Do you mean inline as in not offset to one side?Surely not inline as in autolite inline 4 bbl.Would that be an SK or XE marked intake?

We called the "centered carb" ( side to side) an "inline" and the sidewinder had the carb offset to the driver's side. In my extensive searches for SK and XE parts , I have never seen an FE intake for an Autolite inline carb as FE development was over by then .For special parts to be made in EEE at Ford , there had to be a purpose or proposal ( for funding purposes) submitted and approved. I have hundreds of pages of SK part numbers and description with dates. Since there wasn't a logical need for the intake "I" don't believe one was ever created. I will NEVER claim to have seen it all , but I have seen allot of stuff others haven't.
     Randy
Did the magnesium intake have an SK or XE number or did it have a standard type casting number,and if so do you remember what it was?

None that I have owned or seen had a part number OR an SK/XE stamped nmber. They were cast by RC Industries in OH along with the magnesium and aluminum water pumps which did have XE numbers on them.
   Randy

plovett

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2021, 02:04:35 PM »

thanks,

pl

That's pretty cool!  But not measuring cfm?  Also, what is the visible substance in the flow?

Thanks!

pl

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2021, 03:17:12 PM »
That's pretty cool!  But not measuring cfm?  Also, what is the visible substance in the flow?

Thanks!

pl

Looks like a valve to me.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2021, 03:28:19 PM »

thanks,

pl

Also, what is the visible substance in the flow?

Thanks!

pl
I 'm assuming he asking about the smoke that is in the air stream, rather than the valve.

Frank

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2021, 04:35:20 PM »

thanks,

pl

Thanks!

pl
I 'm assuming he asking about the smoke that is in the air stream, rather than the valve.

Yes, that is a small flow viz wind tunnel equipped with a smoke rake.  Most flow viz smoke is vaporized propylene glycol.

plovett

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2021, 04:50:00 PM »

thanks,

pl

Thanks!

pl

Thanks Frank.  Yes, I was talking about the smoke, not the valve. 

plovett

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2021, 04:51:12 PM »

thanks,

pl

Thanks!

pl

Yes, that is a small flow viz wind tunnel equipped with a smoke rake.  Most flow viz smoke is vaporized propylene glycol.

I did not know that.  Thanks!

plovett

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2021, 04:58:25 PM »

Thanks!

pl

Looks like a valve to me.

My question was not very specific.  :)  I wonder what Smokey was discerning from watching the smoke flow past the valve in an open space?

pl

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »
Maybe testing back cuts and/or turbulence flow over the valve head.
Frank

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2021, 06:09:53 PM »
Why do you think they called him "smokey"?  LOL.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

plovett

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2021, 07:31:01 PM »
Why do you think they called him "smokey"?  LOL.  Joe-JDC

Ha ha! I read it was because one of his racing vehicles created a smoke trail like a General Electric J79!  Either that or it was that thing in his mouth.   Sorry for the hijack, Joe! :)

paulie

plovett

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2021, 08:04:19 PM »
Maybe testing back cuts and/or turbulence flow over the valve head.

I would guess you are right, Frank.  I just don't know how much I would be able to tell by the smoke pattern.  That is, how would you interpret it, since it is visual?   Would Smokey just be looking for the smoothest flow and assume that is best? Or something else?  I don't know. 

paulie