Author Topic: FE Motor Plate  (Read 4631 times)

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
Re: FE Motor Plate
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »
Looks like serious business there Dennis.
Giddy up!
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2020, 07:47:23 PM »
Its important that not have any paint on the block under the
plates to get maximal friction and paint will wear down and
loosen the tension from the bolts

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Towd56

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2020, 09:10:09 PM »
Do you have a picture of the plate that you want to use?

Haven’t got that far

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 01:50:54 AM »
I would not trust the water pump holes to seal coolant and mount the engine both. I made a plate behind the timing cover and water pump. Uses 11 bolts, including the 7/16" alternator hole. It moves the seal out farther on the spacer and the oil pan front four holes need to be slotted but it won't stress the water pump gaskets.

Here it is partly finished and mounting a block in my 64 Comet,  also the one i made in 1983 for my 289 Pinto.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2020, 06:19:08 AM »
I would not trust the water pump holes to seal coolant and mount the engine both. I made a plate behind the timing cover and water pump. Uses 11 bolts, including the 7/16" alternator hole. It moves the seal out farther on the spacer and the oil pan front four holes need to be slotted but it won't stress the water pump gaskets.

Here it is partly finished and mounting a block in my 64 Comet,  also the one i made in 1983 for my 289 Pinto.

It does work fine.  Done many by water pump bolts and no leaks or issues.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Towd56

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2020, 07:13:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and pictures. Jay - I will have a look at your timing cover also. Hoping to have this in place within the next few weeks.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2020, 11:47:59 AM »
I am leaning towards using a front plate for the 427 in my Fairlane. It seems most only use the 2 Water pump bolts on each side. I did discover a timing cover from Dove, I believe, that also uses bolts from the timing cover? I can’t find it for sale anywhere though?

Looking for thoughts on just using the water pump bolts and to see if someone has a better idea that would incorporate some additional mounting points .

Any ideas or info on the timing cover is appreciated

I have a the Dove timing cover that you're talking about. It is a copy of the Ford C7 cast iron cover that the motor mount bolts to the 4 front cover bolts around the crank snout. I also have the cast iron cover too. If you are interested in either you can pm me here.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2020, 12:35:34 PM »
Do you guys who are using a front motor plate use a mid plate too or can you get along without one?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 01:42:04 PM by AlanCasida »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »
Do you guys who using a front motor plate use a mid plate too or can you get along without one?

You don't have to use a mid plate.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2020, 02:55:46 PM »
Do you guys who using a front motor plate use a mid plate too or can you get along without one?

Brent - current have the two piece front plates, mid-plate, and a factory transmission support on my C4.  Do you think I'd be fine removing the mid-plate and just using the front and trans mounts?  If no mid-plate, should I add a fore-aft limiter to keep the drivetrain from shifting backwards when launching the car?
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »

Brent - current have the two piece front plates, mid-plate, and a factory transmission support on my C4.  Do you think I'd be fine removing the mid-plate and just using the front and trans mounts?  If no mid-plate, should I add a fore-aft limiter to keep the drivetrain from shifting backwards when launching the car?

I've got guys using front engine plates and regular trans mounts.  The rule of thumb is that you don't want the trans mount more rigid than the engine mount as the engine will wrap up and the movement will crack the bell or trans case.  I've seen this happen with rubber engine mounts (with no viable limiter) and a polyurethane or solid trans mount.

If you're already setup with a front/mid plate combo, I don't think I'd change it. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2020, 03:08:50 PM »
S&W Chassis recommended to me to use a mid-plate and limiters. I'm putting tabs on my crossmember below the radiator core support and fastenening to the engine to eliminate fore & aft movement. That's the plan.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2020, 05:05:34 PM »
Not sure if it was related, but years ago, I had a 390 in my 64 Falcon, mounted using 2 "ear" style aluminum motor plates using the water pump bolt holes, with studs. I also used a factory rubber transmission mount, and no mid mount. After a while, the C6s bellhousing cracked, as did the flexplate.  A chassis guy I know, suggested that the large span between the front of the engine block, to the trans. mount allowed the engine/transmission assembly to sag enough to cause the cracking, and he recommended installing a midplate to give additional support. I never did, as I sold the Falcon as a rolling chassis shortly afterwards. I can say the aluminum plates, with a gasket on either side, with RTV, never had any leak issues.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »
Not sure if it was related, but years ago, I had a 390 in my 64 Falcon, mounted using 2 "ear" style aluminum motor plates using the water pump bolt holes, with studs. I also used a factory rubber transmission mount, and no mid mount. After a while, the C6s bellhousing cracked, as did the flexplate.  A chassis guy I know, suggested that the large span between the front of the engine block, to the trans. mount allowed the engine/transmission assembly to sag enough to cause the cracking, and he recommended installing a midplate to give additional support. I never did, as I sold the Falcon as a rolling chassis shortly afterwards. I can say the aluminum plates, with a gasket on either side, with RTV, never had any leak issues.
Ford found out with the flathead, that with the front mounts and transmount that it saged enough to decrease bearinglife. So the Y block with front mounts got mounts on the bellhousing. Thats what i read anyway

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

winr1

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2020, 09:24:22 PM »
On a 59 Corvette I changed the bolts to studs on the front engine mount

The studs were solid where they went through the mounts and were snug in the holes

Stopped water from weeping where the pump bolted on

I figured the slight back and forth movement with the looser bolt threads sheared the gaskets and lost tension as well

Ricky.