Author Topic: Engine block heater for storage  (Read 1091 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Engine block heater for storage
« on: December 23, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »
Has any body tried to use a magnetic block heater to store a new machined block in an unheated shop.
I was looking at the Speedway Motors 200 watt block heater to try to keep my block heated and keep the surface rust away.
My shop is unheated and it looks like it will be a few weeks before I can get my short block together.
I have it soaked down in oil but noticed a little very small rust spot starting on it yesterday.
I was thinking a heater on the block and covered with a good tarp would help keep the rust down.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Greg

RJP

• View Profile
Re: Engine block heater for storage
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »
Save yer money...Just place a 60 watt incandescent light bulb under the cover and turn it on. Just make sure it doesn't come in contact with anything that can catch fire or melt.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 03:08:59 PM »
Thanks
Didn't think of that. I still have a bunch of them laying around.
Greg

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 05:45:16 PM »
Years back I had the wagon loaded in the trailer early in the season and we had a sudden cold snap.  I got a work light out and hung it inbetween the engine and radiator.  Good enough to keep the chill off and keep the water from freezing for a week.

The hard part today is finding a good old bulb!  LED are useless for that.
Larry

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 05:52:26 PM »
I have been buying rough service 100 watt bulbs at Lowes for the last 4 years. They are not cheap but a lot better then those replacement ones.
I have converted most of my lights in the shop to LEd's but in the house i like the old bulbs because my light shades will fit and I don't have bare bulbs though out the house like I used to.
Greg