Author Topic: Cam King  (Read 3250 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Cam King
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 12:42:32 PM »
I have one of Scotts cams in my 390 in my 67 Highboy. Its been in there probably 15yrs.  When I talked to Scott he recommended the break in machine since it was a pretty aggressive lobe and said it could beat down a lifter. So, I had him put it on the machine. It was $60 back then. After a few weeks of running the engine I started having lifter noise upon start up. I believe its only one, maybe 2 lifters. They quiet down after a few seconds so I've never replaced them.  Once in a while one will really tick upon start and it will hammer for a while. I have talked to Scott about it and he said it could have been the aggressive ramps on the cam but I just never have replaced them.

There are certainly noisy lobes, XE series Comp and many of their Modern Muscle grinds are so noisy they advertise to sound like solids, but that wouldn't come and go.  I am certainly not trying to say you have to fix it, but likely is internal to the lifter, potentially a lifter bore up near its max size, or a preload issue.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 01:09:29 PM »
I have one of Scotts cams in my 390 in my 67 Highboy. Its been in there probably 15yrs.  When I talked to Scott he recommended the break in machine since it was a pretty aggressive lobe and said it could beat down a lifter. So, I had him put it on the machine. It was $60 back then. After a few weeks of running the engine I started having lifter noise upon start up. I believe its only one, maybe 2 lifters. They quiet down after a few seconds so I've never replaced them.  Once in a while one will really tick upon start and it will hammer for a while. I have talked to Scott about it and he said it could have been the aggressive ramps on the cam but I just never have replaced them.
    Valve spring pressure on an "open" valve with the engine not running "can" cause a lifter to "bleed down" . The will "tick" a bit upon restart. This is normal. Th eimportant thing is to NOT rev the engine excessively when the noise is there. Increasing lobe taper ensures lifter rotation  and has virtually eliminated flat lobes even with "lower" zinc content oils.
   Randy

Bingo.  When I have flat tappets ground, I have an extra degree of lobe taper ground in.  In addition, I always use or recommend an oiling lifter, such as a Crower EDM or a Crower Cam Saver. 

To Greg, I'd make sure I had good lifters, such as the Crowers, make sure the spring pressures are around 100/280, use a Penngrade break-in oil, and let her fly.  I think it would be better to spend the labor/shipping money on good lifters and let her fly yourself. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

KsHighboy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 01:10:06 PM »
Ross, I thought of pre load myself. I have re set the pre load a couple times and the tick persist. I have just figured its a lifter that is not holding after it sits.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 01:43:08 PM »
   Agreed the tolerances might be a little off in one or two.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 02:02:42 PM »
The owners name is Scott Main. I have done business with him off and on for the past 10 years and have been satisfied with his products.
Looks like I will be changing the springs out and I can't tell you how much I love to do this with the engine in the car, at least I have more room to work in the 63 verses the 71 429 Ranchero.
Greg

Stop your whining! LOL   I did it on my Mustang with power brakes and pent roof 427 cast aluminum covers.  A gentleman here was kind enough to loan me his tool for doing them doing them on bolting the pivot on the shaft pads. It went perfectly.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 02:17:48 PM »
But I love to whine. Makes my day and everybody gets to make fun of me.
I have the tool but bending over the fender takes a toll on my back.
I just love to change out number 8,2,3, and 6.
Brent- I will give you a call on the crower lifters after the first.
Greg