Author Topic: Cam King  (Read 3248 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Cam King
« on: December 20, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »
Has anybody used the Cam Research Cam King break in service?
I watched their video and it looks like it would work good.
To me it would be worth the $100 and shipping not to have to spend the couple of hours changing out my valve springs after break in.
Greg

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Cam King
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 11:20:25 AM »
There’s no guarantee that the lifter bores are in the exact spot that yours are , my guess is the success rate is probably not any better than taking the time to break in right . Comp can nitrate the cam surface for a better chance of break in for an additional price that might be worth it

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 12:00:43 PM »
Are we talking about Mike Jones's camshafts?  His avatar on Speed Talk is Cam King.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 12:06:44 PM »
It's not guaranteed that it will work and I've heard of guys wiping cams after this has been done.   As Eric mentioned, the lifter bores are not in the same spot from block to block, as well as some other variables that will be against you.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
I used a Cam Research cam with the lifters broken in. I broke in the cam at fast idle, etc just the same.
I had no problems with the cam.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »
The owners name is Scott Main. I have done business with him off and on for the past 10 years and have been satisfied with his products.
Looks like I will be changing the springs out and I can't tell you how much I love to do this with the engine in the car, at least I have more room to work in the 63 verses the 71 429 Ranchero.
Greg

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 02:29:31 PM »
Scott builds a mean Cleveland SBF.  Met him at the EMC when he won in 2018.  Easy to talk with.  Seems to be genuine and likes all things Ford.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 04:01:17 AM »
Isn't he the guy that originated the tongue plates for cleveland exhaust ports years ago?

fomocoloco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
after losing three i opted for his cam recommendation and break in service. worked flawlessly. the next time i used him again. i have learned that you have to make sure those lifter bores are scrubbed and brushed and verify they drop in with no hickeys or force necessary. it sucks to do it more than once. even on a test stand.

jim
9 65-72  f100 sb trucks 6 428's 1 460 2 521 strokers
1 66 f100 lb ranger
3 67-75 f350
numerous parts vehicles and parts

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 09:11:30 AM »
after losing three i opted for his cam recommendation and break in service. worked flawlessly. the next time i used him again. i have learned that you have to make sure those lifter bores are scrubbed and brushed and verify they drop in with no hickeys or force necessary. it sucks to do it more than once. even on a test stand.

jim

Yes, I agree on the lifter bore issues. Too often, folks plug in a new set of lifters (cam swap) but fail to note the condition of the lifter bores. They must be clean of all crud, buildup, etc. to rotate properly. Oddly, it's easy to check by merely plugging in a lifter in each bore and see if it spins easily (emphasis on easy btw!). Since especially FE's are so darned old now and often in very high mileage condition, the buildup of crud alone may have been the reason some lose a cam lobe or two and then wonder why.   
Bob Maag

fe-starliner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 10:13:19 AM »
To the original poster.  I've used the break in service offered by Cam Research three times in the last 10 or so years.  All three of my FE engines have cams broken in by Scott Main at Cam Research and my youngest son's 408 small block had the same service on his race engine before he went to a roller cam.  What my son and I did was use the break in service offered and then when we installed our cams we did a normal engine break in period just as if we had not already had the cams broken in.  I agree with those above who say the lifter bores may not be in the exact position, but maybe I've just been lucky.  I've had no problems with the cams I've had done.  Same for my youngest son.  I just had Cam Research break in the cam for my 352 about six months ago.  Again so far no problems.  I wouldn't hesitate to use their service again.
1960 Starliner, 406-6V, TKO-600, 4.11 9"
1961 Starliner, 427 4V, SS700 5 speed, 4.56 9"
1968 F-100 SWB, 352 4V, C6, 3.25 9"
2012 Mustang, 226" V6, 6 speed auto, 3.31 8.8"

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 10:52:18 AM »
I want to thank everyone for their comments and experience's with Scott and his break in service.
Glad to see that everyone has had a good experience with his service.
Being the type of person that has a hard time making up his mind I have decided to go ahead and send him my cam and lifters after the new year. and then go and and break it in as normal.
I was planing on building a break in run stand last year but my shop is so full I could not find anywhere to put it and since I don't build as many engines as I used to decided not to build one.
One thing that was a concern with my block was the lifter bores after the engine sat in my shop for the last 15 years. They were really rough so I had Charles pay attention and redo them. Now they are like new.
Assembled the new rods and pistons yesterday and would really like to get the bottom end together before Christmas but guess I will have to wait until the cam comes back.
Greg

KsHighboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 11:46:38 AM »
I have one of Scotts cams in my 390 in my 67 Highboy. Its been in there probably 15yrs.  When I talked to Scott he recommended the break in machine since it was a pretty aggressive lobe and said it could beat down a lifter. So, I had him put it on the machine. It was $60 back then. After a few weeks of running the engine I started having lifter noise upon start up. I believe its only one, maybe 2 lifters. They quiet down after a few seconds so I've never replaced them.  Once in a while one will really tick upon start and it will hammer for a while. I have talked to Scott about it and he said it could have been the aggressive ramps on the cam but I just never have replaced them.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »
Thats nice to know.
 That would drive me nuts. I don't believe I have to worry as everyone on the forum tells me my lobes aren't very aggressive.
I just want to have some insurance and lower my chances of a bad lobe or lifter.
I have never had a cam problem but with the new oils it has me a little worried as I have run out of my old oil from 25 years ago.
Greg

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 12:30:41 PM »
I have one of Scotts cams in my 390 in my 67 Highboy. Its been in there probably 15yrs.  When I talked to Scott he recommended the break in machine since it was a pretty aggressive lobe and said it could beat down a lifter. So, I had him put it on the machine. It was $60 back then. After a few weeks of running the engine I started having lifter noise upon start up. I believe its only one, maybe 2 lifters. They quiet down after a few seconds so I've never replaced them.  Once in a while one will really tick upon start and it will hammer for a while. I have talked to Scott about it and he said it could have been the aggressive ramps on the cam but I just never have replaced them.
    Valve spring pressure on an "open" valve with the engine not running "can" cause a lifter to "bleed down" . The will "tick" a bit upon restart. This is normal. Th eimportant thing is to NOT rev the engine excessively when the noise is there. Increasing lobe taper ensures lifter rotation  and has virtually eliminated flat lobes even with "lower" zinc content oils.
   Randy