Author Topic: Coil Mount Location  (Read 2772 times)

440sixpack

• View Profile
Coil Mount Location
« on: December 18, 2020, 10:32:26 PM »
 I have a 428 in my '76 high boy and the coil is mounted on top of the A/C compressor.   this doesn't look right .  is this correct ?  if not where should it mount ?

I want it to look as original as possible.

Gaugster

• View Profile
Re: Coil Mount Location
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:01:07 PM »
All the stock locations I have seen are essential on top of the intake behind the AC compressor. My experience is pony cars mostly though. Here's my coil pointed backwards. I've seen more stock looking engine bays where the coil is pointed forward. Oddly enough MSD recommends vertical mounting to extend coil life.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 12:31:51 AM »
I have never seen a single car mounted to the AC lateral bracket. They are usually on the first bolt on the LH side of the intake. The front top bolt position of the LH head on non-A/C cars.

Keith M

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 02:01:41 AM »
My 1975 F150, 390 original A/C truck, had the coil mounted on the compressor mount.  I looked in the MPC, the ignition diagram doesn't show a A/C position, just a  non A/C position, which is the usual mounting on the intake.  But the dealer installed diagram shows the coil going on a A/C bracket.

My buddy bought this from the original owner in the 90's and that's the way it was when he got it cause I thought it was strange, my buddy thought maybe it had something to do with heat since this puts the coil out there in the airstream of the fan. 

Keith

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 08:50:55 AM »
My factory air '67 Fairlane had the coil mounted to the top of the compressor.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »
My '63 Galaxie w/ 352 and factory Selectaire had the coil mounted horizontally on the top of the compressor.  When I swapped to the 482 with MSD and Blaster coil, MSD recommended mounting the coil vertically.  So I made an adapter bracket that mounts it on the front of the passenger side head. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
I thought about the intake bolt, but it's going to be a mighty tight fit to get it in there.   I'm still not sure what to do.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 04:45:01 AM »
I have no clearance issues with the York in the Shelby. If you'd like, I can post pictures.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 08:35:32 AM »
It would be good if you snapped a pic.  The cars use a horizontal compressor, but some trucks stood it up.  I can't remember if the vertical had a brace that used the coil mounting hole, but seems possible.

Of course it can pretty much go wherever you want unless you are restoring back to stock
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »
This is just my opinion but I always mount oil filled coils such as the FoMoCo 'yellow top' coil in a tilted or a laid down position to assure the internal primary wires are submerged in oil to prevent over heating and burn out. Not all wet coils are filled to the brim and have an air gap. Epoxy potted coils can mount in any position.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 10:41:52 PM »
Here is the factory location on the Shelby.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 12:09:30 PM »
When I was wrenching at several Ford dealerships we had quit a few trucks and some cars with the coil on the compressor.
Never thought about it much as this was the way they came in.
Greg

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 03:08:58 PM »
This is just my opinion but I always mount oil filled coils such as the FoMoCo 'yellow top' coil in a tilted or a laid down position to assure the internal primary wires are submerged in oil to prevent over heating and burn out. Not all wet coils are filled to the brim and have an air gap. Epoxy potted coils can mount in any position.
Sounds like a good idea as long as you orient the primary posts horizontally and not vertical.I know the old oil filled Accel super coils they always recommended mounting them upright also but always saw plenty that weren't.