Author Topic: Valve clearance  (Read 3504 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Valve clearance
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 11:16:59 PM »
First---Thank you Brent. I intend to use all new parts in a build I'm planning, and had intended that such things as pumps, lines, etc. would be compatible. My concern was that I might have missed something. All is well.

In regard to headers fitting with the eight-bolt exhaust pattern, when I put a 427 in my '67 Cougar in '69, (if I've counted on my fingers correctly), I bought headers for a 390 Cougar and replaced the flanges, to fit. They were no picnic to work on, requiring raising the front of the engine until the bell-housing hit the firewall, and then removing the motormount on the passenger side for hand-room enough to get a wrench in place. I put the engine in with the driver's side all bolted up tight. It is all do-able. Good luck!

KS

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 07:56:06 AM »
Yeah Ken I am hoping to replicate Ross and install the engine with them on.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 08:43:04 AM »
Yeah Ken I am hoping to replicate Ross and install the engine with them on.

It will be easy, stand the tail end up high, nose low. Drop the idle arm and turn the wheel so the tie rod goes toward the drivers side and gets out of the way.

Get the engine as steep as you can and stab it, just watch the brake line across the cowl.  If you really want to make it easy for a 4 speed, you can install the bell but not the tranny, but I do it all together
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 09:20:13 AM »
Thanks Ross I plan to do it all together as well but with a Tremec. The headers are hanging back there already so not much issue adding something in between them.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 07:09:17 PM »
Ashamed to see how much time has passed on this and I am just now taking steps forward. Below is a link to my post on the old forum with a couple pictures showing a MR head on a 4.16" bore.

One thing I noticed reading back over the responses, they seemd to all be referring to LR valve spacing, and I'm using a MR head. So the results I got were the exhaust valve touches the wall around .675" lift, and the intake is clear until you get over 1" lift.

I apologize for those interested in the picture using the link, but much easier posting pictures there.

https://www.fordfe.com/viewtopic.php?p=1118404#p1118404