Author Topic: Cammer Fairlane marriage  (Read 1117 times)

rcodecustom

• View Profile
Cammer Fairlane marriage
« on: November 19, 2020, 07:11:30 AM »
I'm planning on installing my 427 SOHC engine in a 67 Fairlane (original 289, 4spd) this winter. Any experience, advice relative to  necessary front end  modifications  (trim the shock towers/replace the front clip) and transmission selection would be greatly appreciated. The car will be a driver with occasional power shifts required.
Thanks,
Rick   

475fetoploader

• View Profile
Re: Cammer Fairlane marriage
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 07:37:40 AM »
All I can say is very cool.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

plovett

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »
That sounds amazing!

I don't know the specifics, but I remember seeing a SOHC '66 or '67 Fairlane on Jay Leno's garage.  Maybe look that one up and see if you can find any info?

paulie

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
This may be helpful.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/cammed-heat-1967-ford-fairlane

No room was left underhood for a battery.
The one-sentence rationale for the project makes clear that David "wanted a fun car that nobody would see coming." Before he could accomplish that, however, there was a lot of slicing and dicing that needed to be done to the previously--and sloppily--cut-up Fairlane. Jon contacted Total Performance of Clinton Township, Michigan, whose proprietor, John Vermeersch, is an authority on muscle Fords in general and the cammer engine in particular. The first step in any such conversion as this is to precisely measure the engine. A SOHC FE breaks the tape at 32 inches between the widest point of its two valvetrain covers, compared to 26 inches for the more familiar 427 FE wedge. The front shock towers were trimmed down by three inches to allow for a minimum of 34 inches of clearance, so the cammer could be dropped between the fender wells, although custom panels were fabricated and TIG welded into place to maximize the room. The battery was also relocated to the trunk to provide additional room up front. The upper shock mounts were rotated 45 degrees and relocated outward from their original mounting points for additional clearance. Additionally, the shock towers were trimmed backward enough to remove the valvetrain covers for in-car service.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:58:12 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag