Author Topic: stick shift transmission swap  (Read 3510 times)

Robin Maroney

• View Profile
stick shift transmission swap
« on: November 18, 2020, 02:45:32 PM »
Have a very nice 1969 F250 with the T-18 behind a 390 , its a 2wd dana 60 with 4:10 posi would like to install a 5 sp od. like a ZF s542.
what can I do to increase Fuel mileage , I use this to tow a 21ft sail boat, need a good low gear to pull out of the boat ramps.
Any Idea's ?

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: stick shift transmission swap
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 03:36:02 PM »
Not sure if they make adapters for the ZF to fit behind an FE?

Might be a better bet to install a GV Overdrive unit on the back of the T-18?
Larry

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 04:19:19 PM »
Not sure if they make adapters for the ZF to fit behind an FE?

Might be a better bet to install a GV Overdrive unit on the back of the T-18?

That's how I would do it.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »
Bendstendt's makes an adapter I think to run an NV or ZF.

Either way you end up about the same amount of money with an adapter or a GV. Unless you happen to have parts laying around.

69 crewcab

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 07:10:19 PM »
Robin
I have a 1969 crew cab 4x4 with a divorced transfer case . I will be running a NV 4500 5 speed with over drive. I bought the tranny and adapters from Advanced Adapters. I researched using a ZF tranny but they are much longer than the T-18 and with the divorced transfer they are to long. The NV 4500 is only a few inches [2 or 3] longer than the T-18. On my truck I am building a 505 inch fuel injected torque monster FE and needed a stout trans to handle the torque . The NV 4500 was put into Dodges with the Cummins motors so it is good for the power and torque . For me the non ford box works and doesn't change the high boy look. Because of the power I have to run a heavy clutch and am putting in a hydraulic master cylinder with a hydraulic throw out bearing. There is a kit to modify the stock pedal assembly for the clutch master cylinder.

David

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 07:28:17 PM »
Robin
I have a 1969 crew cab 4x4 with a divorced transfer case . I will be running a NV 4500 5 speed with over drive. I bought the tranny and adapters from Advanced Adapters. I researched using a ZF tranny but they are much longer than the T-18 and with the divorced transfer they are to long. The NV 4500 is only a few inches [2 or 3] longer than the T-18. On my truck I am building a 505 inch fuel injected torque monster FE and needed a stout trans to handle the torque . The NV 4500 was put into Dodges with the Cummins motors so it is good for the power and torque . For me the non ford box works and doesn't change the high boy look. Because of the power I have to run a heavy clutch and am putting in a hydraulic master cylinder with a hydraulic throw out bearing. There is a kit to modify the stock pedal assembly for the clutch master cylinder.

David

That sounds like a nice upgrade. It'd be cool to see it in the Members Projects when you get around to doing it. I tow with my '69 F350, so it would be something I'd be very interested in seeing.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

69 crewcab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 09:35:38 PM »
Cjshaker
My build is active!
I’m doing a frame off resto mod. Frame and front axle are done. All body parts are disassembled blasted and primed. Late model lariat leather interior has been fitted and removed. Engine is at machine shop for bore and deck. Pistons cam and other goodies recently received from Brent. BBM heads and Edelbrock port injected manifold ported by JDC waiting for installation
I should be building the motor before the end of the year and the sheet metal should be at the painters for bondo and paint in the same time frame. I have posted some of my build on FTE  But not here so I may have to fix that
David

lowriser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »
Totally ditto on the NV4500: Granny low for the boat ramp situation which can get dicey, and an OD for the hwy all in a HD unit that you know will hold up. It will drive like a new truck with 5 gear choices.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:13:56 PM by lowriser »

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 01:03:47 PM »
I have posted this on here before, but I run an Advance Adaptors Ranger Overdrive Gear splitter between the 6.9 IDI and T19 in my '85 F350.  It works great with that diesel and it's narrow RPM range.  8 forward and 2 reverse gears come in handy, plus rowing 2 sticks really confuses the millennial set.  I treat it like a 5 speed most of the time, start out in low range (1-2-3-4), upshift to High range when up to speed. My truck was a 2wd, so I only needed to shorten the rear driveshaft about 8 inches to make room for the Ranger unit and cut a 2nd hole in the floor for the relocated shifter.  Also had to extend the speedo cable, but that was minor.  With a 4WD unit, obviously there is a bit more work, 2 driveshafts and all.  I have been very happy with it, and have made multiple trips between SWMO and NW Minny with a 24' Pace enclosed car hauler hanging off the bumper.

Knowing what I know now, I would have put a Ranger Overdrive between the 390 and New Process 435 that was in my '76 F250 rather than dinking around for 2 years with an AOD conversion and still never getting that to work right. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 04:04:14 PM by FrozenMerc »

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 01:31:27 PM »
I have a T18  with a GearVendor in my '67 F250 and like it ok. It gives me about a 600rpm drop in high gear. They are little pricey if you get a new one. I got mine used off of Ebay for around $1100 so it wasn't bad. I like the idea of the NV4500 and have thought of converting to that. If you go the NV4500 route make sure you get an earlier Dodge unit. I think they are the only ones that have a mechanical speedo gear hook up. The Advance Adapter Torque Splitter looks interesting too.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 03:47:38 PM »
Do not use a ZF if you want a low first gear. The NV would be a better choice. Or even better yet https://tremec-blog.com/tremec-tr-4050-off-road-manual-transmission-solution/

I also have a Advance Adapters Road Ranger (older one) but mated to an NP435, a T18 would be even nicer. This was originally slated for my 77 dually for better towing and an OD but ended up in my 50 F1 since it was so low geared (4.27) and I didn't want to change the rear axle at the time. Plus I thought twin sticks would be cool (and it is). Some people can't believe it and really like it and ask good questions and then a few try and act like they know all about them and its super common cuz there uncles brothers cousin had a Mack truck that way... I just smile and say "ya same thing"  ::)

I have no complaints its kinda fun to drive actually, easy to shift, straight forward or straight back but as Frozen Merc mentioned you don't always even shift it. I usually start in the high side shift as normal 1,2,3 then low side 4th, then over. That's where the unit really shines is being able to split the massive 3-4 gear split of the original truck 4 speeds. It does have a little bit of gear whine but it doesn't bother me. Plus I have no idea how many miles are on it as it was used out of a 70's F100 mated to a Perkins diesel, I suspect quite a few. I did replace the input bearing and retainer as they where smoked.

You would end up with better gear selection for towing which is what these where originally intended for, old school hot shot trucks or trucks with big slide in campers. They also work with 4x4 trucks while using 4x4 since its before the trans.

In a 2wd truck it would be a fairly easy install. Probably easier than using a different trans anyway. No clutch or clutch linkage modification, original speedo will work (may need a longer cable) just new mount, shorter driveshaft and new holes in the floor for the shifters.

Definitely old school but I think they still have there place.  On a side note I inquired to AA about the strength if I wanted to mate it to a toploader (they are rated at 420ftlb continuous) and do a little drag racing. Of course they can't give any guaranties or anything for liability reasons but he did say (and very confidently I add) I would be breaking toploaders long before I need to worry about the OD.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 07:54:50 PM »

Robin Maroney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 06:43:57 PM »
THANKS GUYS, Have to go back to the drawing board

chris401

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 02:58:46 PM »
Have a very nice 1969 F250 with the T-18 behind a 390 , its a 2wd dana 60 with 4:10 posi would like to install a 5 sp od. like a ZF s542.
what can I do to increase Fuel mileage , I use this to tow a 21ft sail boat, need a good low gear to pull out of the boat ramps.
Any Idea's ?
The bottom right bolt ear on the FE blocks the starter pocket on a 460 and 7.3 bell housing. The small block is about in the same place.