Author Topic: Intake adapters  (Read 2784 times)

427John

• View Profile
Intake adapters
« on: November 07, 2020, 02:48:26 AM »
While viewing an old classified ad for one of the intake adapters jay b mentioned something about making some for hi risers,did some get made or is there still plans to make them?

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Intake adapters
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »
While viewing an old classified ad for one of the intake adapters jay b mentioned something about making some for hi risers,did some get made or is there still plans to make them?

Yes, Jay has High Riser versions available, part number 13101. Link for info on all the intake adapters is on the home page of the FE Power website. Here’s the link direct to the High Riser intake adapter:

http://www.fepower.net/Products/feiahr.html

Info on the the other versions of the intake adapter:

http://www.fepower.net/Products/feiamr.html

Also a version available for Tunnel Port heads:

http://www.fepower.net/Products/feiatp.html
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 05:15:32 PM »
Just curious how much better is a 351 C Performer RPM manifold compared to a FE RPM intake. That is the idea for having the adapter right or no.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 05:18:06 PM »
Just curious how much better is a 351 C Performer RPM manifold compared to a FE RPM intake. That is the idea for having the adapter right or no.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 05:23:34 PM »

No.  That wouldn't make sense.  The adapter opens the door for any 351C intake to be used.  Primarily for the tunnel rams and the single planes.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 06:19:27 PM »

Back in one of the early FE Power intake adapter threads Jay dyno did a back to back test of the Edelbrock FE Performer RPM and the Edelbrock 351C Performer RPM, and the results were nearly identical. He was pretty happy with that since it showed the intake adapter wasn’t a hindrance in any way. Maybe Jay will comment later, but to me the intake adapter itself isn’t just about more power, it’s about more versatility and opening more options. There are a lot of good Cleveland intakes that are still currently available, and many at reasonable cost, that give some more possibilities. The dyno testing has shown that the Weiand 351C tunnel ram is pretty hard to beat for a readily available intake that makes power all through the rpm range. We all know how hard and expensive it is to find an original FE tunnel ram. And even if you don’t want to go all the way to a tunnel ram even a common Edelbrock 351C Torker works real well for a single 4 single plane, and you can often find a used one for under $175 and even with the cost of the intake adapter have a pretty good performance intake combination. But it’s been interesting to see some of the intake combinations people have come up with using the intake adapter, a person probably see’s some more of the adapters in use on Facebook, maybe because it’s easier to post pictures. With the FE’s intake design of having a good portion of the intake under the valve covers, and the pushrods running through the intake, having that pre-made FE intake base available helps many come up with some unique intakes. And it opens up making some real high performance intakes, like the billet ones Jay makes, and the “sheet metal runner” styles others have fabricated. One of the other advantages of the intake adapter is the easy access to the valve train, something that is more involved with a FE. The Edelbrock FE Performer RPM is a really good all around intake manifold, and if you know that’s all you’re going to need on your combination it makes a fine choice. But we saw a good example of the convenience of having the valve train access a few years ago on Drag Week when one of our members had a couple lifters fail during the week, and he was easily able to change them in a short amount of time, and still get his dragstrip runs in and back in the road early. Maybe not a feature most will use, but handy when you do. Also, the additional versions of the intake adapters have made the same versatility available for some of the high port FE heads available, and the High Riser heads too. We even have a member with a Roots blown Tunnel Port, where else are you going to get a blower intake for a Tunnel Port?

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 06:26:04 PM »

When I tested the 351C Performer RPM manifold on the adapter, it performed nearly identically to a normal FE Performer RPM.  The adapter does provide some advantages, such as the ability to get to the valley of the engine without tearing the whole top end apart, and also allows easy changes of intake manifolds.  The Pro Stock Engineering intake adapter, which was available in the 1980s and which my adapter is generally patterned after, was available with both a single plane "Street" intake and a tunnel ram "Strip" intake, the idea being to run the street intake during the week, and swap the strip intake on for a trip to the race track on the weekends.  Swapping manifolds may be a less attractive alternative today, especially with the decrease in the number of local race tracks, but it's still something that can be accomplished in about 15 minutes with the intake adapter.

Probably half the people who buy the intake adapter want to run a tunnel ram.  There is no commercially available tunnel ram for the FE at this time, but it turns out that the Weiand 351C tunnel ram happens to work really, really well with the intake adapter, and allows for the tunnel ram look and performance on an FE engine.  The Yates style single planes also work really well with the intake adapter, so that's another popular option.  Bottom line though, is that if you are looking for similar performance to a standard Edelbrock Performer RPM, in most cases you are better off going with that manifold rather than the intake adapter. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 07:20:03 PM »
I bought the adapter and other parts for the easy option of changing cams.
The timing cover and adjustable timing gear make it super easy to work on the engine.
And as a bonus you don't lose any HP.
Greg

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 08:22:45 PM »
Due to the aftermarket support of the LR/MR pattern,basically the only intake not readily available for them is the tunnel ram but there are the other advantages as jay b menioned,now in the case of the HR anybody running them was stuck with the limited varieties of the factory intakes that are also extremely hard to find.The tunnel port is kind of in the same boat,but since it's original intake was the basis of the tunnel wedge,I don't think they have as much to complain about.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 09:36:05 PM »
Is the raised floor location indicative of the optimum amount of floor filling on Hi riser head intake ports?Should it be used as a template?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 10:11:01 PM »
I think that depends on the application.  What I did was basically take a medium riser port, and moved it up 3/4", so that the roof of the MR port matched the roof in the high riser head.  The factory high riser heads I've seen have about that much fill in the floor, but it really depends on horsepower goals and what else is done to the high riser head itself.

By the way, just in case you are looking at buying one of the adapters, as it happens I sold my last HR intake adapter about two weeks ago.  I will have them again, but I have to wait for the foundry to pour more, because at the moment I'm out of castings.  The next batch of castings is probably 2-3 months out.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 07:01:19 PM »
I had always heard that the hi riser port while it looked impressive,the bottom 1/4 of the port was pretty much along for the ride ,no worries on being out of stock it'll be a while before I need it.Its nice to know that something like this is available,might change my direction on this project.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 08:18:19 PM »
I totally forgot the fact that you can get inside the motor. That is a big plus and you can change intakes without taking dizzy out.