Author Topic: 428 piston pics  (Read 4652 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: 428 piston pics
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 12:56:17 PM »
Good info on both posts Randy...I agree, I'd either clean them up, or clean them and coat them if you wanted to be fancy :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 01:52:37 PM »

I'll add that the pistons are not "scrap  bin" parts as the skirts could be hit with Scotchbrite and coated to be perfectly usable.

Just to expound on this:  The procedure which has proven to work well in salvaging pistons in this condition for us has been to glass-bead (new clean material please!    ::) ) the damaged skirts, this beats down the crowns of the peaks pushing some of this material back to a useful placement, also tends to work well at lifting out the foreign particulate impinged in the surface, and tends to "fluff-up" through the peening process the surface thereby blending and recovering some of the lost diameter of the piston, and then yes, "Scotch-Brite" the surface, by hand (no flap-wheels & drill motors please!     ::) ) thoroughly to remove any impinged blasting media, and to smooth and lay down the surface additionally.  This is not difficult but does require some technique in order to acquire pleasing results.  And yes the further inclusion of a coating process is a nice option but necessarily a requirement for function.     :)

Scott.

plovett

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »
Thanks guys!  I have no plans to reuse the pistons.   I was just asking for the sake of knowledge.   I guess I won't throw them in the scrap bin or melt them down just yet, though.

pl