Author Topic: Pre-introduction help Edelbrock pump and A/C lateral bracket clearance.  (Read 1090 times)

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
I am starting the dry-run on installation of the air condition on my 1967 mustang. It seems as their may be a potential clearance issue with the  'nub' cast into the front side of the hose where the bypass is. Has anyone had an issue with this? 
Any wisdom imparted would be welcome.

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Pre-introduction help Edelbrock pump and A/C lateral bracket clearance.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 10:20:31 AM »
EDIT:  I think I know what you're referring to.  The Edelbrock casting is thicker at the bypass and does make fitting the bracket a problem.  You have to clearance the bracket.  I did that on the Tbird bracket when I was trying to fit that before running into other issues.  I checked this out just moments ago by checking the fit with an iron pump and the bracket.  My cut out perfectly fit the bypass part of the casting and I recalled the Edelbrock casting was thicker there.

Just so you know, there are different A/C brackets for FE cars.  This is for the pulley bracket and the compressor bracket.  Also, the compressor clutch.  They are different heights on both brackets and clutch depth.  The problem isn't with the water pump, but the brackets you're trying to use.  If you have everything right for mounting the brackets and pulley alignment but only have that interference with the pulley bracket, then you can cut out that troubling part.  I ran into this issue with trying to use Thunderbird brackets for my Fairlane.  Tbird brackets mount the compressor lower than on the Fairlane.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 12:28:14 PM by GerryP »

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 12:01:24 PM »
Agree with the AC brackets being different. The truck brackets I pulled from a 75 pickup were different from the 68 brackets I bought for the Mustang. What brackets are you using?

The vintage air kit came with a one piece bracket for the Sanden compressor, so...no issues with mine, but I do have a parts house remanufactured water pump.

Part way down page three will show some pictures of the front of the motor. Maybe you can see the area that's inferring for you.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=2565.30
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »
We aren't questioning if some brackets change with different models and years. These are all original 1967 Mustang FE brackets. There are no hodge-podge and mix and match components. The large bracket that supports the York compressor and actually has the belt adjuster pulley on the lateral support.
Edelbrock and the hack engineering department didn't take into account that these brackets that are found on Mustangs, Galaxies and Comets, Station wagons from 65-70 have them. The issue was the shape and thickness of the housing that the bypass hose is connected too is .345 too thick.
I called Edelbrock this morning and explained the issue, which they are aware of yet don't bother to mention potential issues in the installation guide.
The clown at Edelbrock tells me it's safe to mill it down up to .425. Charles Machine went to cut it on the mill. The pump is only .200 thick. It cut though.
I had to take it to have it welded. This is a 400.00 polished Edelbrock. 
They even made the strut support on the right too tall, which didn't clear the factory alternator lower support that is used on all FE's without air injection and with the top mounted alternator.
I had that milled so it would clear. I assembled the car and drove it while I did a Concours restoration on the components. I know many of you know this takes an entire tear-down of the front of the engine to get it done.

Anyway, you know how it goes. Sometimes nothing works like it should. 
I thought maybe another had ran into the issue.

Thanks for listening to me bitch. I'll try and keep future post more productive.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but I thought it was very productive. It answered questions where I made assumptions.

Who would have thought a new water pump would require milling and welding to fit on a factory application. I would be a wee bit ticked if I had to go through that too.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed