Author Topic: CNC video  (Read 1328 times)

winr1

CNC video
« on: October 17, 2020, 05:07:30 PM »

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: CNC video
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 08:28:27 PM »
That's pretty impressive, but I enjoy watching another type of CNC video.  Ones like this make me feel a bit better when I screw up and break stuff on my little Haas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsFNeiAu04M&t=357s
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

winr1

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 10:05:43 PM »
Darn !!!   that was hard to watch ....

Ricky.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 10:33:13 AM »
I enjoyed both videos! Thanks for sharing.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 12:04:25 PM »
That's pretty impressive, but I enjoy watching another type of CNC video.  Ones like this make me feel a bit better when I screw up and break stuff on my little Haas:
It's amazing what a typo can do! The wrong decimal point, especially in "Z" or forgetting "-". Small things, mean a lot in CNC.

I also worked in the NC era (paper tape control). A flicker on a light bulb or a little fuzz, could do amazing things (as in destructive).

In the '70's, I worked at a place where they machined aluminum platens, 6 x 48 x 72. The operator walked away to get coffee, during a long cut, using a 1.5" roughing end mill. I guess, just as he got out of sight of the work piece, the coolant failed and when he got back, there was a long (2/3 ft) piece of extruded aluminum, instead of chips. Quite a sight.
Frank

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 05:21:19 PM »
It can also be quite hazardous to use a CNC manually, as I learned the other day.  I needed to run a 1/8" hole through a shaft crosswise.  The CNC would be a great choice to indicate the center of the shaft and drill a straight hole, right?  Well, the problem is that you don't have any feedback if something is going wrong.  The CNC will go where you tell it with about a ton of force.

I grabbed a center drill from my business partner's toolbox, because it was close at hand.  I put it in the toolholder and brought the machine to the correct spot.  With a careful 0.001" per click of the hand wheel, I brought the tool down to the work.

Hmm, why is it not making any chips?  Let's lean in and take a closer look.  BOOOM!  The center drill exploded and sent a piece of hot shrapnel into my lip.  (Yes Mom, I was wearing my safety glasses...)  Turns out that center drill was so dull that it wouldn't even have cut butter.

Lesson learned!  Make sure you have a sharp tool if you're cutting something with a CNC, especially by hand!  Wear your glasses boys and girls!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:24:52 PM by WConley »
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.