Author Topic: .. differential gear oil .... what do yall use ??  (Read 1325 times)

winr1

.. differential gear oil .... what do yall use ??
« on: September 29, 2020, 10:49:50 PM »
Non-synthetic 80w90 GL-5 oil treated with Auburn Gear friction additive

The above is what Auburn advises for their cone type LSD

Any have a favorite brand or good results ??

Ricky.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:24:50 PM by winr1 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: .. differential gear oil .... what do yall use ??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 06:47:34 AM »
I've switched everything to RedLine Shockproof oil. I put it in the Jerico, in the rear diff of my Mach 1 and my '70 F350 dually, and even in the transmissions of my Harleys (they don't use synchronizers). I've been very happy with it, but none of them are limited slips. I don't think it'd work so well with limited slip differentials.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:57:30 AM »
I used to use Coastal in all my stuff for the most part from Autozone.  I too have started putting Redline in rear and transmission of wagon.  All the others have not been changed in years and have Coastal in them.

The one thing I did notice using Redline synthetic is when trying to put my GF5R into reverse, it really spins a long time til I can slip it into gear unlike when I ran a thicker lube in it.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 10:00:08 AM »
I typically use Valvoline 80w-90.  But I don't run anything but a "real" locker or a spool.  I'd stick to what Auburn recommends.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 10:50:57 AM »
Usually whatever I have in the 16 gallon drum of cheap 80/90 non synthetic GL-5. Old school cast iron barrel pump with a long hose with dollys on the drum, works great around the shop. Save quite a bit of money buying by the drum even the little 15 or 16 gallon drums.

Unless something special is specified then usually Valvoline, only because its more readily available at the parts store.

Valvoline Drive Train SAE 50 Transmission Oil - 5 gal for most of the transmissions.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 12:04:40 PM »
 Auburn is all by itself in design, and I suggest following their instructions.
 Shockproof is great with low gears in high HP drag race and circle track use. I vary what I use by ratio and use. Gear oil itself is usually not the problem in a diff or trans unless the oil temp goes ballistic like a circle track road / race user without an oil cooler on long races.
   Randy

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »
I've switched everything to RedLine Shockproof oil. I put it in the Jerico, in the rear diff of my Mach 1 and my '70 F350 dually, and even in the transmissions of my Harleys (they don't use synchronizers). I've been very happy with it, but none of them are limited slips. I don't think it'd work so well with limited slip differentials.

Doug, have you run a Drag Week with the Redline? I talked to a tech person over the phone a couple of years ago, and they said they didn't really recommend it for the street. Like anything else designed for racing, don't run it on the street.  ::)
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

winr1

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 04:25:20 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

I read a memo online that Super Tec was valvoline rebadged

I filled it up with that and ran it on jackstands, drained and refilled and drove it a few miles, will drain it and put some hi zoot oil with additive in it

65 F100, 370,000 miles or so, never had the housing out to clean really good
( cleaned the housing tubes with a bottle brush and solvent, then the housing with solvent 4 times )

Ricky.