Author Topic: Is it Necessary or Advisable to Shot Peen Ploished Ford Factory Rods?  (Read 8851 times)

dozz302

• View Profile
Hello, I have a set or rods I was going to be using in a motor I'm doing. They are 427 C3AE rods that have been polished. Had them checked and they are  Good.
This will be a bracket motor that will most likely never see above 6200 RPM. Maybe 475 horsepower.
Question is should I go thru the trouble to have them shot peened? From the factory they were shot peened but when polished  did that remove the hardened surface??
Should I have them shot peened again? I found a place I will have to send them to to get it done properly.
Thanks

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Is it Necessary or Advisable to Shot Peen Ploished Ford Factory Rods?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 05:04:57 PM »
Bracket engine?  You need aftermarket rods.  I would not trust 57 year old rods to a race application. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 06:04:36 PM »
Head to the “Member Projects” section and check out my Mustang thread. That will talk you out of factory Ford rods.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 10:20:54 PM »
By the time you get the factory rods squared away between shot peen and rod bolts aftermarket aren’t to much more. Regular I beams are stronger then 55 year old rods. Do yourself a favor and save yourself some aggravation.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 12:15:25 AM »
Up until a few years ago, my old 390 was running the factory rods with stock bolts, but different nuts. They have seen 7k a few times and over 6k quite a bit. I would not hesitate to reuse them on a stockish or mild rebuild. For the peace of mind, you may want aftermarket here.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 07:03:37 AM »
Some 25 yrs ago I wanted to put Lemans rods in my 428CJ race motor.  I spend a FORTUNE getting them all tuned up.  In todays money, that would be nearly what it cost to by TWO sets of aftermarket rods.

I agree, what you will spend on getting them redone, you can have a nice set of aftermarket rods that will survive forever compared to vintage rods.

Those Lemans rods still live in that same 428, but in light street duty.
Larry

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »
X2 on new rods best deal i found on a set was from dsc motorsport.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 10:24:26 AM »
 Re shot peening the rods can do more damage than good. Ford has a specification , air pressure ,shot size , time being blasted , to get the desired surface hardness, Without that knowledge , there could be an issue.
    As others have already said "costs" have to be looked at and that usually has the aftermarket rod being a better choice , both cost and durability wise. It's real easy to dump too much money into stock rods and still have a weaker part in the end. The least expensive H beam rod is superior to the low riser rods simply by design.
    Randy

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »
are they low stress rods out of a low milage engine or have they been run hard before? i re-used a set out of a 66 428 with very low milage and driven right too.the crank did not need turning,even the block did not need bored.the rods were prepped and fitted with arp bolts.that is the only only way i would re-use factory rods.but if its a bracket only motor,i would go aftermarket
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:52:36 AM by fryedaddy »
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 10:53:57 AM »
X2 on new rods best deal i found on a set was from dsc motorsport.

I bought set from DSC about a year ago. He said they had ARP 2000 bolts. Rods showed up had ARP 8740 bolts. Rods are no name, but look like to be RPM. The rods I got look fine, but I have had two times Dennis send something different then he said and is kinda oh well...
He is a good guy, just at $450 for a set of no name rods, next time will get a set of Eagles for a few $$$ more.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 10:59:51 AM »
   RPM or Speedmaster/ProComp most likely.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 01:31:38 PM »
427 C3AE rods that have been polished.

Question is ........................
Should I have them shot peened again?

I found a place I will have to send them to to get it done properly.

Thanks

If so, the short answer is YES!

Before the flood of all the after-market rods on market, and we only had available the O.E.M. pieces, polishing and shot-peening was an almost standard procedure for us in our performance/race build engines.

Scott.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 03:35:53 PM »
   What's funny is they never broke in the beam where we polished them to keep them from breaking in the first place.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 08:04:14 AM »
When they break it's either a fastener failure at the side of the big end - or a fatigue failure about one inch below the pin.  Back in the proverbial day we used to see a fair number of fastener failures before ARP stuff was common.  Now, with the original parts being really old we see a fair number of fatigue failures.  You cannot identify a potential fatigue failure with an X-ray or magna flux because its not caused by a crack or inclusion.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
I have a 63 427 that broke a rod about 1 inch below the pin and  put a window on each side of the block. I have heard that all the rods that come from china come out of same plant and the get their brand name when the they are shipped here?