Author Topic: FE Oil Pan and Filter Adapter Q's  (Read 1788 times)

CV355

• View Profile
FE Oil Pan and Filter Adapter Q's
« on: September 21, 2020, 01:13:24 PM »
On a '69 Mustang, are there any major clearance issues with a 6"-7" deep oil pan (such as a Moroso 20607 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-20607/make/ford)?  Anything I should be concerned with?  I don't see any issues simply looking at the engine bay, but I've been burned before...

Also, does anyone know of an oil filter adapter that swivels?  The standard 90 adapter gets the filter dangerously close to the headers I have.  We're talking less than 1/16" clearance.  Even with the headers jet-hot coated, I'm still concerned about heat. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 01:40:34 PM by CV355 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: FE Oil Pan and Filter Adapter Q's
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »
The only issue created by sump depth on a '69 Mustang is when it hits the road or track surface. ;D  As long as it has the indents for the tie-rods, which that one does, it'll work.

I don't know of any swivel adapter units, but isn't there a factory adapter that angles the filter forward (not out, like the truck jobs). I seem to recall seeing a couple before, but have no recollection of what they originally came on. Not sure if it would clear the sway bar either, if you are using one. Remote filter is about the only way to get away from the straight down style headers, that I'm aware of.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 02:31:47 PM »
The Hooker header being close to the filter won't cause any issues.  Thousands have used that header and not had issues with it cooking the oil.  If you are concerned, you can always use an FL400 Motorcraft filter.  Smaller diameter, and yes, it doesn't hold as much oil.  But that won't be an issue.  As was already stated, you could always remote mount a filter. 

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Remember, RPM is your friend

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 02:59:10 PM »
The 30 degree filter adapter Doug reference is from a 1976 4X4  and only produced for one year. D6TE 6881 AB

I'm using one on my 48 Continental so the filter will miss the steering box. They are quite hard to find
I'll take a picture and post it here.
Richard >>> FERoadster
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:31:44 PM by FERoadster »

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »
CV355,
      Not every person has the capability but I clamped the adaptor in the mill and angle milled the mounting face about 2*s , kicking the filter forward. This gave me adequate clearance on my "antique" JR headers ( 1-7/8ths tube) .You can't tell by looking when it's on the engine. Very subtle, seals fine.
   Randy

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 06:38:24 PM »
i have used the same re-locator adapter for over 30 years because of header clearance problems.they work pretty good
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
I had the same concerns, so I got a sheet of that heat reflective material (the kind with the real sticky backing).  Oil and filter change I screw the new filter up and see how it's going to clock with the header tube, mark the filter, then take it down and place a piece of heat barrier on the back half of the filter.  And since my headers cross under the pan I stuck a piece on the pan above the header tubes.  Might not being doing a dam thing but it gives me some piece of mind.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 10:08:55 PM »
I had the same concerns, so I got a sheet of that heat reflective material (the kind with the real sticky backing).  Oil and filter change I screw the new filter up and see how it's going to clock with the header tube, mark the filter, then take it down and place a piece of heat barrier on the back half of the filter.  And since my headers cross under the pan I stuck a piece on the pan above the header tubes.  Might not being doing a dam thing but it gives me some piece of mind.
i put some medal behind mine too,and i also made one for the starter too.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new