Author Topic: First Start Tips and Tricks- FE Truck  (Read 3386 times)

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
First Start Tips and Tricks- FE Truck
« on: September 15, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »
The day is finally close after several years to start my 445.  Would like to know any tips, tricks etc. that you guys follow on any projects such as this.

A little back ground on it;

1975 F250 4x4
445 Scat Kit, Hyd. Roller Cam, BBM Heads, RPM Intake. On the stand for 2 years.
C6- Broader Rebuilt Kit and Converter- About a year sitting.

Everything is now in, checked, bolted up, and all engine bay wiring has been checked, cleaned up and routed, looks really good....fingers crossed no issues.

Anyway, I have about 4 qts. of ATF in the pan of the C6 and put about 2 in the converter. It has been about 2 months since the install.
I plan on priming the motor, turning it over with no fuel, no plugs in it for a bit. If no surprises I plan to hook up the fuel line, prime the carb, and start it.  Then slowly addling fluid to the transmission, topping of the coolant, keep an eye for leaks/issues.

When the motor was on the stand I would periodically "lightly" prime it and rotate the motor by hand just to keep things free'd up, so I feel the engine should be good. Hopefully sitting won't effect the gaskets/sealing.  Definitely do not like the fact it took this long to get to this point, but such is life, at least we got here!

Let's hear your process, or tips, etc. as I am sure many of you have done the same.

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: First Start Tips and Tricks- FE Truck
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 06:16:25 PM »

I plan on priming the motor, turning it over with no fuel, no plugs in it for a bit. If no surprises I plan to hook up the fuel line, prime the carb, and start it.  Then slowly addling fluid to the transmission, topping of the coolant, keep an eye for leaks/issues.

I wouldn't do the no plug crank, no benefit in it after the prime.  If you want, leave the thermostat out, although I tend to just drill a 1/16 hole at 12:00 to let air and water move during fill, cap off, prime the oil pump, set the distributor correctly (or over advanced is fine with no load, just not retarded), fill the bowls with a ketchup bottle, set the choke wide open, and let it run.  Even without a flat tappet, I like to bring them up a little, 2000-ish,  to get oil throwing all over, then run around watching oil pressure, water temp, and looking for gross leaks.  As it warms up, you will cool down LOL

Have a fire extinguisher ready. Make SURE it's not in gear, stuff like that, could even put the rear on jack stands. 

The engine will want to run though, no benefit in letting the starter have all the fun, the crank doesn't throw enough oil to help at starter RPM anyway
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:33 AM »
Ross,

Thanks for the reply. I agree on the cranking, priming solves the oil part, my thinking was maybe to get the TQ converter/pump moving some ATF, then add a little more.  I have never rebuilt a transmission until this one, and from what I read, they can puke fluid on initial start up.  Only having a few quarts in it now just does not sit right with me, but in the same breath I don't want a massive mess on my hands either, especially after all the paint/detail work I did in the engine bay.  That is really why that was in there.  Good tips on the rest and the ketchup!

Murphy's law still follows me it seems. Went to top of the radiator last night and the upper tank is leaking at a seam to the core. Radiator only has a few hundred miles on it, but had developed some solder bloom from sitting empty for years. I had cleaned it up nice with vinegar detailed in a prior post.  I looked up the price of a replacement last night and wash shocked to say the least.  I figure I am going to drain it about half way and try to solder that spot.  For the price I will give it a try for sure.  The main thing is I am trying to avoid replacement unless forced to since I had to trim the opposite side to fit a power steering gear box(PS swap to get away from the old Bendix stuff). Just another added delay.  Other than that I have to run an engine ground, main power wire to solenoid, make a fuel line, and hook up the vac lines.

Maybe I will get lucky on the soldering.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 01:36:17 PM »
Ross is a great resource and has done this a lot. I have no idea how many times you have done this yourself, but most of it is just the same as any other engine so if you have done it, it will be a lot like the last time.

Having never done it before my 445 (very similar build in a '69 F100 4X4) I had pushed it outside the garage (wife was mad enough at me for spending all that money on my toy I didn't need to risk setting fire to the house), had three fire extinguishers handy, and had a buddy to watch under the hood.

Worth making sure you have the rotor pointed near #1 at TDC on the compression. We almost made that mistake, but luckily I didn't trust myself and checked it before the first fire.

If you have never done it before, it will smoke like mad for a few minutes, then settle down.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »
Yeah I plan on rolling it out of the garage for sure. Burning down a semi new built home would likely end in a divorce....trying to get it mobile again bc wife is tired of looking at it HAHA. I tell her the garage is mine but don't think she understands that...even after 12 years.

At lunch I dropped by the house and worked on the radiator. Knew it was odd for the tank seem to leak. Hit it with a wire wheel and exposed the brass. Nice long crack down the side of the upper tank. Guessing vibration may have caused it where the support is soldered on. Hope I can fix it, going to try tonight. If not I guess I will be going the Aluminum route.

DubyaTF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 02:59:39 PM »

I've always had a couple box fans running to keep any smoke clear and feed fresh air to the engine compartment.
Jeff

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 03:42:36 PM »
I've tried fans, but what works better for me is the garden hose.
Set it up where it will run all over the radiator top, but not so the fan will grab the water and spray it all over.

You can wait til the engine runs a while, gets up to 180-200F, then turn the water on.
It will drop to 160F and just stay there, works really good.
I don't mix the two though, I don't want 120V fans with all that water around!

x2 on the little hole in the thermostat, but I never leave it out - it will run hotter if you do cuz you will de-pressure the block and create steam pockets.

Good carb, full of gas, accel pump working, timing set right or slightly advanced, should be fine.
Should be easier with a roller cam, less to worry about.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 04:34:10 PM »
Thanks guys. All the basics are covered....main concern is any gasket issues due to the time it has been together, or C6 issues. The trans checks were all good, and everything super clean, but still worries me.
Got the crack on the radiator repaired. It looked like a blind man did it until I did some fine tuning on the solder. Seems to be holding and adhered good so hopefully it holds under pressure.
Ran the ground wire to the block and got the vacuum lines all attached at lunch. We shall see, looks like this weekend may be it....only a handful of minor connections to make/things to do now.
It will be nice for it to move under its own power!

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »
Don’t forget it’s a roller cam if you don’t like what you see just shut the key off
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 10:03:24 AM »
Long post, but some humor/humility etc. to start the work week off right.

What a weekend! Let me tell you. Anyone know a good Exorcist? Not kidding, I am telling you this truck is possessed. Laugh all you want but it is.
The crack in the radiator was repaired and holding fine for a few days. We get close to start up time, guess what, leaking under the brace. No way I have the skill to fix it.  Figured, we will let it roll and see what happens. Moving on, go to run the fuel lines. Got some nicopp thinking it would be better, well it is not. It works, but too soft for what I wanted to do, and apparently if you bend it more that a couple of times it gets work hardened fast. Fought it the whole time, but still better than the coated steel line I had.   I go to make the attachment to the tank, something falls out.  Figured a dobber got in my rubber fuel hose, so pulled it, looked, nothing, blew it out anyway.  I then suspected that maybe, just maybe I should blow through the fuel tank again.  Hit the feed line with some air....would not take it. Thought that is odd, what in the world, I knew the cap was loose. Hit it again, weird noises happen, then I am covered in old fuel. No one around, what to do? Plug my finger in it, think, hey I got a scrap piece of nicopp on the frame...finally after some stretch armstrong moves, got it stopped for further diagnosis.  Spent another hour cleaning my mess and shooting air in the tank fill.  Guess there is a low spot in the tank and it followed the pressure trying to escape the tank. Oh I left out the part where the fuel cap came off and hit me on the head. That was nice! Hurt much worse than I ever thought it would.

Am I the only one that has this type of stuff happen? I am pretty mechanical and cover my bases, but no matter what this truck throws new stuff at me. 

We get it outside, hose ready, extinguisher ready, filled the fuel bowls.  Had the dizzy at around 15 adv. Few hits on the key nothing, hit the throttle twice and she was off to the races.  Once it started warming up it would stay idling, had to go about a half turn on the main idle screw(from barely contacting) to keep it at 900. After all the running I got it down to about 850.

Now as all this is going on I am also running around checking fluids, temps, etc. Totally forgot about putting more fluid in the trans. It had about 6-8 total to start. Add another 4 or so. Then another quart or two. Check and seems high but not warm etc.  Ask a friend to put it in gear....we get nothing! My heart starts sinking. Thinking come on...not this. Check fluid again, do the gear test again..nothing, but then going to Park he hits Reverse and this ungodly grinding happens.....I about started clapping, I knew exactly what that was. Someone had hit the 4x4 lever, truck was in Neutral HAHA. It will grind like that if not in gear all the way on the NP205.  Reach in, hit it, now we got movement.

All in all it went surprisingly well as far as that goes I think. Motor sounded good, no leaks as of yet, responded well for no tuning. Idle oil pressure was about 50 cold, then 20-25 hot, rose with RPM like it should. Held about 190 on Temp the entire time.

The ONLY issue was after putting her up, a couple of times a buddy or two would drop by and I would crank it for them. One time it had a hiccup and backfire through the carb on starting.  I did not like that but it will not repeat it, and motor certainly does not sound like it has an issue at all. It purrs like a kitten.....very odd to me and concerns me for sure, but I have done 0 tuning.  This week I will set the base timing, fine tune idle on the carb etc.  One other note, the transmission seems a little loose. I built it with a Broader Kit, and 12" Broader Converter. Moving it in the garage it seems to want to rap up a little....I call it "loose", but no slipping. Still think it needs more fluid/time but it was not like it was a real test. Honestly I wanted to cut it short and take the win for the day. Years upon years it has taken to get to this point fighting time/life events the whole way, I was just happy that it started and seemed to run well. 

I did not drive it as there is no fenders/bed on it. Its ugly as hell except for the frame/engine bay.

I have some video but not sure on how to post it up....will do some digging.  Anyway that is the follow up, and maybe a good laugh to start the day.
P.S. the sound of a big block FE and open hedders is undeniably awesome! I may start it everyday just to have that first thing in the morning smile. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:35:52 AM by HarleyJack17 »

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 11:53:15 AM »
Well done. Like the side stories.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 07:27:07 PM »
No you are not the only one that this things happens to. I don't know if you read
My stories about the ladder, snowfall, creditcard and the wiper blade. Or hedgehog
attack while reparing the lawnmower ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 08:31:41 PM »
Congrats and your not alone. When the first motor started in the car for the first time. Gas was pumped out on the ground from a loose fitting on the discharge side of the pump!! Had to kill it quick.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »
Is there a way to attach video files with out using a host domain?

I can't believe there were no leaks....complete fuel system/trans replumb that was not easy. I know why a lot of folks just go with rubber hose these days.  Still a lot of buttoning things up to do but it is running and sounds freaking good!

69 crewcab

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 06:27:14 PM »
Congratulations on your success    even if it was a little painful!
I HOPEFULLY am about 2 months     ok maybe 3 months from firing up my 505 which is going in a 69 Crewcab highboy.  It is running a built NP205 with an NV4500 and disc brake Dana 60 front and rear. I was just about to order some of the copper/nickel line. Was it a hassle ? should I just go stainless ?
On my project there have been times when everything went well (as planned)    But there have been times when everything went to crap. Because I am doing a frame off Resto-Mod   so far I have just been able to quite working on what ever was fighting and move to something else.  Buttttt I know the time is coming when I will just have to fight my way through the problem of the moment.
Glad you can listen to motivating music while you continue to fight for progress!