Author Topic: Oil leak Pat 2: Trans removal and video  (Read 1589 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Oil leak Pat 2: Trans removal and video
« on: September 14, 2020, 07:24:26 PM »
So i pulled the trans earlier today to find out the source of my oil leak on the fresh build of my 427 (484 stroker). Before people ask who built such a piece of crap that leaks, it was me. :-)  Below are daylight pictures and a black light video highlighting the oil with dye. Just to point out a few things first. The intake is not leaking. You'll see highlights in yellow just below the intake. About 3/16" down you'll see what I think is just residual oil that was between the backing plate and the scattershield. There is no oil between the intake part line and the top of the scattershield flange. I took a q-tip to this area and it is dry and clean. You'll also see a little oil on the right rear of the cylinder head. It's path does not lead anywhere but dripping on the starter. In the video and on the daylight pictures it looks like the plug at the oil relief is leaking and some of the blue over spray paint is washed away. You'll also see the oil galley plug below the cam plug seems to be leaking also. The over spray is washed away pretty good here. There is also a build up of oil on the lip of the cam plug bore. I think this is just a collection point from the leak above. You can see the dirt and oil accumulation between the crank flange and cam plug in the view of the rear of the block.

There is a oil trail from the second plug down to the cam plug and a trail from the lower plug. I'm going to prime the oil pump and see if I can catch it leaking at either of the two noted plugs. I don't think I would get any oil pressure at the cam plug, would I?

After priming and determining where my leaks are I'll pull the threaded plug (second down) and seal it again. I'll pull the cup plug below the cam plug and put a new plug and seal in. Dos anyone think I need to re-do the cam plug?

Please offer any thoughts and opinions.

Thank you to all of you that asked about my oil leak issue at the FE Race & Reunion.

BTW - I chose not to thread the cup plugs. I know the benefits but decided not to.

Thanks,

Videos
https://youtu.be/WLgQgYomCHU

https://youtu.be/-QoTNjWJSHw

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:48:05 PM by fairlaniac »
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Oil leak Pat 2: Trans removal and video
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 07:37:42 PM »
On core plugs, water or oil, I always run a bead of Permatex #1 on them.  This is the hardening sealer.  Did you use anything?

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 07:50:24 PM »
On core plugs, water or oil, I always run a bead of Permatex #1 on them.  This is the hardening sealer.  Did you use anything?

I did use TA-31 but as I mentioned to others, I may have used it too sparingly in fear of creating ugly, useless globs.
Doug Bender

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:54:58 PM »
I use loctite...

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »
I would pull all the plugs out and put the Permatex #1 on them . I use a self tapping screw to get the plugs out .

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 10:22:30 PM »
Hey Doug I agree if it’s apart reseal all of them. Don’t worry to much about how it looks back there nobody is gonna see it. It was good to meet you at the reunion.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 05:11:25 PM »
Doug, in the original post I mentioned the plugs having a dedicated pitch. That was a reference to side oiler pressure relief galley plugs. I did not know you had a top oiler. I will repeat my choice for oil (or water sealing), is Blue Block. It can be messy but won’t matter back there.

JB
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:58:43 AM by 6667fan »
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 07:12:12 AM »
Hey Doug I agree if it’s apart reseal all of them. Don’t worry to much about how it looks back there nobody is gonna see it. It was good to meet you at the reunion.

It was nice to meet you as well. Awesome Mustang!
Doug Bender