Author Topic: Canadian CJ Heads  (Read 4879 times)

gt350hr

• View Profile
Re: Canadian CJ Heads
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 10:52:39 AM »
    Werby,
      According to Bruce , "Buckmaster" offered to put the MR intake port into the CJ casting patterns. The exhaust ports were NOT modified , only the intake ports.
    Corrunker was not one of those that got Canadian heads at INDY in '69. He WAS an original "135" owner and no surprise since he worked for Ford and "had connections" 1355 cars were built with 390GT exhaust manifolds so I have no clue why they would have hit anywhere.
  Randy

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 05:25:12 PM »
I have some pictures of Morgan's CCJ heads but can't seem to post them. I had the privilege of have them for a few months, They're remarkably hard to sell.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 10:38:50 PM »
It's been long enough ago that I simply don't remember the details of the somewhat 'free-handed' clearancing I observed in the back of the engine compartment on the driver's side. In any case, we pulled the engine as soon as we got it to Corrunker's house, and when the engine went back in, it had a set of Hookers on it. The engine was somewhat of a mish-mash because John had the idea that a 390 block was enough lighter than the 428 as to be more desirable. We went through several to find a 390 block that had as little core shift as possible and so most likely to take the larger bore. The first trip to the strip was when we took it to Columbus and we blew a head gasket on the first pass.

We stayed in the pits the entire night replacing the gasket and it promptly blew again in the morning---just before they called the meet due to rain. We towed home and pulled the engine. Deciding there wasn't enough 'tooth' to the deck surface, the block had to go back to Grand-Schaefer Auto to take enough of a cut to leave the surface rough enough to hold the gasket. The meet was rescheduled for the next weekend.

About 3 AM on that first all-night thrash, it became clear that we were getting in each other's way. I took my sleeping bag and crawled into the back of the T-bolt that Rick, John's brother had brought and got a couple of hours sleep wound around the mount points for the roll bar where the back seat would have been. Somehow I lived through the no-sleep, couple hours sleep during that two weekend period. And made it to work every day all week. I was a metallurgical process engineer in QC at T&C Livonia. All of us were attached to QC at that time. Trying to sleep on the back floor of a T-Bolt would have me in the hospital in traction for a few days now. Youth is wasted on the young! ;D

KS

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 03:10:49 PM »
KS,
Great story!

While we are at it, look here:
https://archive.petersen.org/pages/preview.php?ref=316810

This is a Jerry Harvey 69 Mustang FB at the June 1969 Dallas Springnationals.
I'm trying to hunt down all those results (don't have the usual sheet.....) because it's BEFORE the CCJ heads appeared at Sep 69 Indy.

So this car clearly says SS/J on it. SS/J=10.00 lb/in, and the 428CJ, even the flat hood version factored to "only" 340hp by NHRA, is too light with W/P=9.62.
So what was under the hood? A 428 2-barrel? Nah.

The 390/320-IP fits class with W/P=10.20.

Is there any chance that this car actually ran a 390-IP in Super Stock (WTF???)
It didn't win (Payne's 428CJ/360hp 69 Cobra FB won SS/J with its W/P=10.00, probably a deliberate move by Ford). But maybe somebody wanted to see if the 390IP would compete in SS, and since they already had plenty of 69 Mustangs around, they just tried a 390IP in one? Since you could take the engine 30-over and run any cam & intake you wanted, it might work, but with a 4300 Autolite on top??????

EDIT SS/J.1000
I found the answer so it seems.
The Harvey car DID run the 390/320-IP in SS/J.1000 and the 428CJ/340 in SS/I.950 classes in 1969.
Note in both pictures, here and Peterson, the car has SS/I painted on it, but at the 69 Springnationals SS/J is scribbled on the windshield - a 390/320-IP under the hood.
Here is some text and a picture from Paul Ceasrine on classracer from 8 years ago:

http://www.classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=32067

"I took the information off the quartermilestone site.
 They listed Jerry Harvey as running a 351/300 HP Cleveland
 in his 69' Mustang at the 1969 World Finals.
But after checking, I found out he ran a 428 Cobra-Jet (non-Ram Air)
 'no hood scoop car' combination in SS/I for 1969.
And later in the year, he ran the 69' Mustang with a 390/320 HP engine combination in SS/J.
  Last edited by Paul Ceasrine; 01-17-2012 at 02:35 PM."

EDIT
Another fun fact as I go thru these results.
From the picture below it looks like a 58 Ford, none other than a 332/265-4v FE, was runner-up in L/SA=13.00 class. It was won by a FUEL INJECTED 4-speed HYDRAMATIC Sedan Delivery. Wonder how many injected Sedan Deliveries left the assembly line? As for the number of Hydramatic Sedan Deliveries, ZERO. It wouldn't even fit without cutting. The doggy old 332 should have won this "stock class" race.

https://archive.petersen.org/pages/preview.php?ref=314788
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:37:25 PM by WerbyFord »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2020, 08:33:40 PM »
During the time I was involved with 'Stock' and 'Super Stock', NHRA had only 'A' through 'E' Super. They started dividing up about the same time I took a step back and focused on my street cars and what racing I did was with Brother Lon's '67 427 TP car. I left FoMoCo and so didn't have the daily interface With the Corrunker Brothers and the other racers that were close by. I still helped out at CorBan Performance on occasion. (Corrunker/Bannister)

KS

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 09:07:27 PM »
During the time I was involved with 'Stock' and 'Super Stock', NHRA had only 'A' through 'E' Super. They started dividing up about the same time I took a step back and focused on my street cars and what racing I did was with Brother Lon's '67 427 TP car. I left FoMoCo and so didn't have the daily interface With the Corrunker Brothers and the other racers that were close by. I still helped out at CorBan Performance on occasion. (Corrunker/Bannister)

KS

1969 was the single year that the SS classes went down to 10.00
The bottom of SS was the W/P=9.50 class in 1967-68-70-71 (at least) but in 1969 there was the SS/J=10.00 class, which the big 1969 Cobra fastbacks did well in as their W/P came in at exactly 3600/360=10.00 (plus of course the 428CJ was still way underrated at 360 factored HP).

I've figured out what cars won all the SS and SSA classes for 1969 Springnationals except for Arthur Evans, winner of SS/H=9.00 class. IF it was a Mustang that would be a 69 coupe or fastback 428cj/360hp shaker car. But it could have been a Brand X, I cant find Arthur Evans anywhere else.

I don't know anybody who has eg the National Dragster results sheet that list the car makes.
1969 Springnationals was the last big race before the CCJ heads so the last chance to compare.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:11:32 AM by WerbyFord »