Author Topic: Car cover  (Read 2445 times)

JohnN-1BADFE

• View Profile
Car cover
« on: September 12, 2020, 04:52:05 PM »
I am looking to purchase another car cover.  I have a California Car Cover that is nice, but man they are expensive. I don't mind paying for quality, but wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions on a high-quality cover that isn't as expensive as California car cover's.

Thanks,
John
67 Fairlane GT - 390/451 stroker - 654HP / 552TQ

67 Fairlane S/W - 390/458 stroker with tri-power - 515HP / 595TQ

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Car cover
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 05:02:18 PM »
These are the guys I use.
Their outdoor covers work very well.

https://www.carcovers.com/

I used to use Cal Car covers also but their longevity did not match the price.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 05:17:43 PM »
Ordered their outside cover for my 63 2 Dr. sedan 2 weeks ago.
It is at least a foot to short to fit the car.
Their on line chat said to e mail the sales dept.
I have sent 2 e mails since Tuesday with pictures.
So far no reply.
Greg

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »
Who’s cover?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 06:38:19 PM »
I used National Parts Depot, lots of choices.
Woody

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »
+1 on carcover.com

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 08:52:14 AM »
I purchased a Covercraft Dustop, it was about $300.  Absolutely love it and it can be customized with your choice of several Ford logos. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 10:18:32 AM »
If it's a cover for inside use, here's what I did, and saved a bunch of money. I got 3 of the large cheap microfiber blankets at a store (Walmart or just about any similar store, they're pretty much all the same), then had the wife sew them together. I trimmed the excess off and the wife added them as 'extensions' on the sides (the widest part of the car). They cover the entire car, are EXTREMELY soft, do absolutely no damage to the paint, are very light, so easy to throw on and take off and only cost me about $90 total.

Here's a shot of what it looks like.

It may not look the best, but it has worked far better than any other cover I've used, and I've used some really expensive ones, including the California Cover. I do not like the kind that uses spandex to keep the covers tight around the car; they are difficult to put on and remove, require that you stretch and drag the cover across the paint to get it around the corners (which creates a high wear area on the paint), and are typically heavy and expensive, and they're difficult to wrap up properly (like fitted bed sheets). I can easily roll mine back across the car, flip up the sides, and it's done. Putting it on, I just sit it on the deck lid, flip the sides down and unroll it across the car. Done. I get zero dust through it, and it still allows the car to breathe, so it does not trap moisture.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:25:50 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 01:40:48 PM »
That’s the way I do it in the winter Doug, and yes it is the best way. Unfortunately I keep my car at my house a lot during the summer so I use a cover and no matter how much you spend covers ruin your paint. You can’t see the swirl marks outside but under fluorescent lights you can see them. And I’ve noticed the roof of my car is dulling alittle. My two cents worth.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »
Could it be the case with car covers being hard on paint that very fine grains of dirt eventually work into the material and act as an abrasive?

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 06:46:28 PM »
I agree and if it’s in a garage we’re there is no wind then the cover isn’t moving around. My car is outside a lot unfortunately. My dads garage is like 8 miles away and to do that on a daily basis sucks.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 07:10:10 PM »
Could it be the case with car covers being hard on paint that very fine grains of dirt eventually work into the material and act as an abrasive?

Absolutely. Another big problem is people not making sure that the car is clean before putting a cover on it. If the car is dirty, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what is going to happen to that dirt. And you typically can't wash the big covers (the heavy cotton/canvas ones will start to pill and mat, and the canvas is not water friendly). However, the elastic bottom ones also keep a constant tension against the paint, so even the softest material will eventually start to have an effect. If you've used one, then you understand how hard you have to pull to get it over the corners. That's rubbing with considerable force. Microfiber hides the dust better than most materials, and the cover that I came up with can easily be washed in any heavy commercial washer, which you can typically find at most laundromats. After 8 years of use, I have not had to wash mine yet, and it shows no signs of any dust getting on the surface of the paint when it's removed. Just thought I'd throw it out there as an option.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »
Walmart Budge covers do just fine IMHO.  HAve even used them outside for more than one season.  Inside, no problems. 

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 04:05:08 PM »
Turbohunter
It was the carcover.com cover.
Greg

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
Turbohunter
It was the carcover.com cover.
Greg
I hope my 63 Sedan cover isn't the same. I ordered it a few months ago while my car is still being restored.