Author Topic: Preferred rocker system?  (Read 2249 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
Preferred rocker system?
« on: September 06, 2020, 12:48:01 PM »
For the moment, independent of price, want to look at pros/cons of rocker setups out there:
Comp Gold
Harland Sharp
TD
POP stands with Lykins non adjustables

Looking at a ~235* .625" hydraulic roller type deal, on TFS heads. 

Maybe I'm not looking deep enough, but the way I see it, as long as the shafts/stands aren't flexing, and the rocker ratios are accurate, is there really an advantage to any of these?  I understand the taller rocker bosses on the TFS does pose some issues. 

Is there any advantage to the Crane setup with the one piece stand setup?  Seems it could be more rigid, perhaps a smidge easier to install?  If no other advantage, I'd lean towards the POP stands that will be offered .200" shorter for setup with the TFS. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:40:19 AM by chilly460 »

1968galaxie

• View Profile
Re: Preferred rocker system?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 03:37:59 PM »
For your application with a mild hydraulic roller set up I would be looking at the Lykins rockers and POP stands.
It is your money, if $$$ are not an issue then you could certainly go to the way overkill/ bulletproof T&D race rocker set up.

Cheers

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 08:10:43 PM »
Will a race TD’s bolt up to a TFS head ? I thought there was a reason they couldn’t use them

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 07:30:12 AM »
Will a race TD’s bolt up to a TFS head ? I thought there was a reason they couldn’t use them

Sure will.  Just takes a little more milling than with a normal head.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 07:31:53 AM »
Chilly,

I think you're referring to the Comp rockers instead of the Cranes.  The Comps have a one piece base.  I don't think Crane makes their rockers anymore. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 08:03:17 AM »
So I can tell you why I use Brent's on cams like yours

1 - Non adjustable rockers are nice on a hyd cam, no adjusters to break, no extra parts, set preload and forget
2 - Can use a 5/16 pushrod, at about 160/400, it's happy and gives you lots of room, if you want you can go the thicker wall, but really not required
3 - Same 5/16 ball/ball is much cheaper, figure custom ball/cup pushrod lengths into the cost versus shelf stock
4 - Depending on the rocker, adjuster and lobe lift, some valve cover baffles can get a kiss from the adjuster (Shelby, Lemans, etc) no issues when an adjuster isn't there
5 - The price is nice, when you get a set of hardened shafts, Doug's stands and studs, and Brent's rockers, it is competitive with all, and much cheaper than some (ignoring the cheapies, I won't even consider them, and know you didn't either)

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 08:41:19 AM »
Chilly,

I think you're referring to the Comp rockers instead of the Cranes.  The Comps have a one piece base.  I don't think Crane makes their rockers anymore.

Yep, I’m an idiot, they’re Comps

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 08:43:24 AM »

1 - Non adjustable rockers are nice on a hyd cam, no adjusters to break, no extra parts, set preload and forget
2 - Can use a 5/16 pushrod, at about 160/400, it's happy and gives you lots of room, if you want you can go the thicker wall, but really not required
3 - Same 5/16 ball/ball is much cheaper, figure custom ball/cup pushrod lengths into the cost versus shelf stock
4 - Depending on the rocker, adjuster and lobe lift, some valve cover baffles can get a kiss from the adjuster (Shelby, Lemans, etc) no issues when an adjuster isn't there
5 - The price is nice, when you get a set of hardened shafts, Doug's stands and studs, and Brent's rockers, it is competitive with all, and much cheaper than some (ignoring the cheapies, I won't even consider them, and know you didn't either)

That is one advantage I looked at last night, being able to use ball/ball is easier to order and if it comes in at standard length especially, should be cheaper.  I use Smith Bros, some of the other manufacturers made it tough to try to order ball/cup

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 08:57:18 AM »

That is one advantage I looked at last night, being able to use ball/ball is easier to order and if it comes in at standard length especially, should be cheaper.  I use Smith Bros, some of the other manufacturers made it tough to try to order ball/cup

I generally use Trend, and at .025 increments, I often need one or two that are .025 longer with normal manufacturing differences, even on a square deck block, still shelf stock.  Not only easy, price is significantly cheaper than custom ball cup
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

HR427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 09:41:06 AM »
Can a solid flat exceed the limits of a bushed harland sharp rocker?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
Can a solid flat exceed the limits of a bushed harland sharp rocker?

No, unless oiling is inadequate.

I've tested my own rockers (also made exclusively for me by HS and have bushed fulcrums) up to 525 lbs open and I'm getting ready to use them on my 352 with a .700" lift solid roller, sporting 680 lbs of open pressure. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 09:59:26 AM »
That will be interesting.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »
That will be interesting.

It will just take some careful measurement but I expect the outcome to be good.  It's the same rocker body/fulcrum as HS uses for their higher end adjustable kits, with less parts to break and the absence of pushrod sweep due to the adjuster ball position. 

I saw a high end circle track engine at my buddy's shop, based on some Cup leftovers.  Solid roller with T&D non-adjustable rockers.  I thought, "Why not?"
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 09:46:37 PM »
FWIW, the last I knew, Roush makes their own rockers.

KS

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 10:17:36 PM »
I've tested my own rockers (also made exclusively for me by HS and have bushed fulcrums) up to 525 lbs open and I'm getting ready to use them on my 352 with a .700" lift solid roller, sporting 680 lbs of open pressure.

They should do fine. I know the bushed adjustables can handle over .700" and over 700LB open. At least on a drag engine, not a street car for thousands of miles.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86