Author Topic: TFS vs Edelbrock  (Read 7988 times)

plovett

Re: TFS vs Edelbrock
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2020, 08:14:08 AM »
Don't try to console me, Tommy.  I thought this was a safe place. :'(

plovett

Re: TFS vs Edelbrock
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2020, 08:46:32 AM »
Okay, I didn't know Edelbrock was casting the TFS heads.  I knew they were casting the Survival heads.  I had emailed TFS and they said the heads were cast in the U.S. and machined in Ohio.   

I say hooray for Edelbrock!

I do agree that the TFS and Survival heads are miles above the standard Edelbrocks.  It is funny though, how even in a non-mainstream esoteric group like the FE community, there are mainstream and fringe subgroups.   TFS and hydraulic rollers are the flavor of the month.  Plain old Edelbrocks now seem like the quaint choice. 

I'd like to put a set of TFS heads on my current short block, but that'd shove my compression up to 11.5:1 or so.  I wish they had a 74 or 75 cc chamber.   I wonder why they went with the 69-70 cc chamber?   Maybe it's just a product of the chamber design itself?  Or maybe it is because the head is targeted towards the more plentiful 390's and a smaller chamber is helpful to build compression with the smaller engines?  Pretty neat head at any rate, and a great bargain even with the weird stand height and non-heli-coiled exhaust bolt holes.

We've had the conversation before, but the FE is not the most practical or "sensible" choice.  If you start down that path, then the 385 series makes more "sense".  And the turbo LS makes more "sense" than that.   Hell, an electric car makes more "sense".   A Tesla will out accelerate my Cougar.   Makes me sad, but there it is.  Still, no 'lectric car for me.  Everybody here has to decide where their line is.   I would never use a hydraulic cam or fuel injection on my FE, or put a touch screen in my Cougar.   I say at some point you should just buy a new car if you like all that.   Enjoy the old cars for what they are.  But somebody else has a different "line" than me.   But TFS heads?   I say hell yeah.   They apparently did a bang up job on them.

I have thought for a long time that it was strange that Edelbrock never come out with a Victor FE head, but that is a smaller market and has been served by others like Blue Thunder, Survival, Dove, BBM, Pro Ports (again Edelbrock), and the all the head porters.   Still, a Victor FE would be cool.  I would say it is too late now as that market is fairly full, and they are making raw castings that become "Victors" anyway.

Ramble over.   :)

pl

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:51:01 AM by plovett »