Author Topic: Guess the oil leak?  (Read 3018 times)

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
Re: Guess the oil leak?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 08:05:15 AM »
With a block plate, it's odd that engine oil would be getting into the Scattershield. They are pretty much sealed off to the engine. I had/have the same issue on my car, and figured out that it's the input shaft seal, in the throwout bearing collar, on my jerico transmission.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 08:49:06 AM »
Some plates have holes for gallery plug plus the big hole for the cam plug which are all above the crank throwing oil everywhere.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 09:10:18 AM »
If it is the galley plugs the migration is extreme. The clutch will be risking oil contamination. Any oil on the engine side of block plate?
The galley plugs have a dedicated pitch to them. Other plugs will work but an extreme sealant like Blue Block is what I like for sealing those.
I’m glad you think ripping the trans/clutch down is easy, lol. At least you have a lift and a trans jack/support I hope.

JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 09:36:24 AM »
Some plates have holes for gallery plug plus the big hole for the cam plug which are all above the crank throwing oil everywhere.

^^This...
As far as I know, all the Lakewood plates have those holes, and they will allow oil to be slung around and past those holes. And yes, if that happens, it will ruin a clutch plate within a fairly short time period. If Doug is sure that the oil is from the back of the engine, and he has a Lakewood plate, or similar plate with holes, then it would be wise to get it fixed as soon as possible. Although I'd certainly make sure that was where the source was from, because I hate pulling transmissions.

Edit to add that I have no idea why Lakewood put those holes there. You can't reach the plugs with the flywheel in place, and if the flywheel is off, there is nothing holding the plate on. Makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:39:29 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 10:26:06 AM »
Most likely it is oil galley plugs or cam plug.
BUT, isn't there the off chance that the plug in the crank could cause an oil leak as well?   

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 04:38:50 PM »
If it is the galley plugs the migration is extreme. The clutch will be risking oil contamination. Any oil on the engine side of block plate?
The galley plugs have a dedicated pitch to them. Other plugs will work but an extreme sealant like Blue Block is what I like for sealing those.
I’m glad you think ripping the trans/clutch down is easy, lol. At least you have a lift and a trans jack/support I hope.
Jim, I've got the lift and last year at Maple Grove's swap meet my buddy picked up a trans jack/support that I can use. I say easy fix because those are the games I must play with myself when motivation fails :-)

Today I ran the engine while the car was up on the lift and watched the oil. It ran down the front of the block plate and the mating surface of the bell and trans.

I won't be bringing the Fairlane to FERR next week. I'll pull the trans and bell after that.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX