Author Topic: Another FE Build  (Read 3116 times)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Another FE Build
« on: August 16, 2020, 09:29:34 PM »
Let the nitpicking begin...

https://youtu.be/3rksPj1tu3o

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Another FE Build
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 10:23:36 PM »
Need to do a footrace with each type of spark plug stuffed in your sock. It'd be just as germane as the timed run of the Winney with the megs against the go cart. :)

KS

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:39:59 PM »
nitpicking - why would we do that?

Would it be the $7,000 block and $6,000 induction coupled with the $1,600 heads and the $65 passenger car gasket set?
Or would it be about the throttle body gasket that got kicked out by the wiring during the install?

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 11:24:40 PM »
It did peak at 501 h.p. There’s probably people on this forum that could do that with a 352 and iron heads.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 12:14:50 AM »
I couldn't watch the whole video...I stopped when he was running a bead of silicone around the intake ports.(WTF) To me that's up there with silicone on your carb base gasket and Teflon tape on your inverted flare fuel lines...JMO
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 05:01:57 AM »
I couldn't watch the whole video...I stopped when he was running a bead of silicone around the intake ports.(WTF) To me that's up there with silicone on your carb base gasket and Teflon tape on your inverted flare fuel lines...JMO

I bead the intake ports.....before gasket and after gasket.  Not big honkin beads, but just enough to seal her up.  IMO, that's where a lot of guys make mistakes with FE intake manifold installs. 

Now, as for the rest of the engine....that's stupid money for 500 hp.   
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 06:58:41 AM »
I sit in wonderment at the hardware, roller setup...all the fancy business....and heads I wouldn't put on a 400hp 390 build. 

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 07:38:01 AM »
Well they did say a couple times that big horsepower was not their goal at around 500. They certainly achieved that. ::)
But the heads with the rest of that setup is kinda like sittin’ at a strip club.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 01:55:39 PM »
Bone stock Edelbrock heads?  Combustion chamber had metal overhang in one picture.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »
I was surprised to see a 8554pt head gasket used. Thought that style of gasket was a no-no on an aluminum block?
Kevin McCullah

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »
Point of discussion here, I always believed that individual runner intakes liked lobe separation more near 115? They stated that this cam had 110.

The Borla system does not negate this rule right? I know the Borla intakes have that plenum system underneath them where all cylinders talk, but I still wouldn't imagine that the cam could have less lobe separation because of it?
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 03:09:19 PM »
Point of discussion here, I always believed that individual runner intakes liked lobe separation more near 115? They stated that this cam had 110.

The Borla system does not negate this rule right? I know the Borla intakes have that plenum system underneath them where all cylinders talk, but I still wouldn't imagine that the cam could have less lobe separation because of it?

It would depend on the total amount of overlap on the cam.  You can actually have a 115° LSA cam that has more overlap than a 110° LSA cam if the advertised durations are spec'd as such.

It would also depend on how the plenum is arranged.  I've never used one of those, but if there is a common plenum, then that would create more of a signal on each stack.   The reason a lot of guys go wide on the LSA on individual stack intakes is because you can get into a reversion situation and actually make a fuel cloud that hangs up above the intake.  If they're all hooked together commonly, then it's less of an issue.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »

I bead the intake ports.....before gasket and after gasket.  Not big honkin beads, but just enough to seal her up.  IMO, that's where a lot of guys make mistakes with FE intake manifold installs. 

Now, as for the rest of the engine....that's stupid money for 500 hp.
I got broke from not using silicone on the intake ports.i have a rpm intake i took off three times,it sucked oil till the third time.thats when i tried putting a bead around the intake ports. no more sucking oil down the intake ports!
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 09:47:01 PM »

It would depend on the total amount of overlap on the cam.  You can actually have a 115° LSA cam that has more overlap than a 110° LSA cam if the advertised durations are spec'd as such.

It would also depend on how the plenum is arranged.  I've never used one of those, but if there is a common plenum, then that would create more of a signal on each stack.   The reason a lot of guys go wide on the LSA on individual stack intakes is because you can get into a reversion situation and actually make a fuel cloud that hangs up above the intake.  If they're all hooked together commonly, then it's less of an issue.

In my experience, there is virtually no 'plenum' in a manifold like that. There is a hole from end to end in the casting that connects all of the runners. One might call it a 'balance tube'. It makes it less likely that there will be more signal in one runner than the next. When I used a set-up like that, with 45 DCOE Webers, it was a bit easier to do the tuning. The 'draw' on each barrel was easier to get synchronized.

KS

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 09:49:48 PM »
I was surprised to see a 8554pt head gasket used.
Caught that also.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon