Author Topic: Tunable Throttle body fuel injection for racing  (Read 1955 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Tunable Throttle body fuel injection for racing
« on: August 03, 2020, 07:02:55 PM »
Any recommendations?
Fitech, fast, quick fuel, Holley, accufab, something different, ??
Suggestions on where to start looking .
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: Tunable Throttle body fuel injection for racing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »
For racing I'd stay away from the purely self tuning stuff like the FiTech.

I don't mind self-tuning, but I like to have some control over what the self learning is doing.

Holley, BigStuff, MegaSquirt are good controllers with a lot of options and run whatever throttle body you'd like.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:27:35 PM »
Keith you seem like the kind of guy to me that would enjoy a Megasquirt system.
You like building your own stuff (I remember your oiling system) and you won’t get anything more able to adjust to whatever you can throw at it.
It’s a port injection deal not throttle body injection (can be TBI also) , it’s darn cool and can allow for any add on you want.
https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/mspro-efi-ems/ms3pro/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:39:25 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 10:26:50 AM »
Ditto on the self tuning stuff.  Nice for street driving and not worrying about consistency at the track.   

A friend tried running his stock computer on his '87 foxbody for many years.   After constantly chasing his tail with it he ditched it for a carb and removed all his issues.

A co-worker put Mega squirt on a vintage Porsche 911.   He seemed to make it work pretty well after some learning curve on tuning.  I think the advantage was using off the shelf parts(injectors, TB, and the like) and building the system himself.
Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 11:57:20 AM »
You can certainly build a throttle body system and control it with a Megasquirt if you wanted to save a rare manifold, it would have all the adjustibility and modern NASCAR racers aren't far from that with the injectors way up high

It wouldn't be sequential at lower speeds like a port injected setup, but that's likely just fine too. 

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 12:42:02 PM »
Your right Ross it can control pretty much any type of system.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 12:44:43 AM »
Just pick up throttle body of your liking and search engine management that your pocket allows.

If I were building fuel injected race car from ground up I would take motec (there are others)which could handle all the cars eco system,engine management, electrical system  ,data gathering, and so on.

Going to your mustang?
Its already done if I remember right.
Mikko

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 05:52:40 AM »
Yes thinking about switching over on new engine. Definitely don't want self learning system.  Just in research stage at the moment.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 06:40:02 AM »
After running a FAST port injection system and installing a holley sniper system on a friends 70 mustang. I would go with the holley system.  For the simple fact that almost every tuner knows the holley system!!!!! Now I had to learn how to tune on my own but if you don’t want to do that just about every one I talked to knew the holley!
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

Coubra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
After seeing some other plugs for port injection, I'm going to put my two cents in.  This past year installed an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 system on our engine, where a Pro-Flo 2 system had been before.  The 2 had been a nightmare and the 4 system exactly the opposite.  Put parameters into the 4 and let it do it's thing with the advantage of being able to make adjustments as I want.  Just sayin'...

https://www.edelbrock.com/edelbrock-pro-flo-4-efi-kit-35960-for-ford-fe-390-428-engines-35960.html

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 09:01:52 PM »
I am surprisingly happy with the behavior of my Pro flo 4 too, but really the only significant adjustments are a/f mixture and basic timing curve.  There are lots of things you can play with, but nothing like a comprehensive program

Compared to a race type, to include MS, you just don't have the control and are trusting the programmers. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:26:14 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 09:58:24 PM »
After running a FAST port injection system and installing a holley sniper system on a friends 70 mustang. I would go with the holley system.  For the simple fact that almost every tuner knows the holley system!!!!! Now I had to learn how to tune on my own but if you don’t want to do that just about every one I talked to knew the holley!

I'm not really sure that's the case these days, but it probably varies from region to region. Around here it's just as easy to find a shop to tune a MS, BigStuff, etc as it is a Holley. Plus with the internet if you can get a base tune close to enough to get it to run without hurting itself you can data log and remote tune/forum tune it.

The Holley Sniper really isn't any better than a FiTech or similar as that is what market Holley was targeting with it. The Dominator stuff is a whole different ball game and is really good/detailed and is a nice package. But you pay a premium for the Holley name. I think the current generation of MS and BigStuff (and a few others at this point really) are as good as Holley and a better price point in some cases.

I've also found the MS/DIY Autotune and BigStuff guys are pretty helpful to work with directly. Not sure how many people have called any Holley brand for support lately - but I'm not impressed to say the least.