Author Topic: Some RMRW 2.0 prep  (Read 759 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Some RMRW 2.0 prep
« on: August 02, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »
I knew I should have tried this a couple of years ago. At least before I bought that little trailer anyway. It would be tight but I can get all my stuff for RMRW/DW in the Mustang. I can use the slick carrier for the Galaxie out back. If I could convince myself it was ok to run drag radials that would be so much better. I have a set already mounted. I know a lot of guys do it and if it starts to rain they just pull over and wait it out or start going a lot slower. And if I could convince myself not to take a spare it would open up some room but I don't think that will happen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:49:03 PM by AlanCasida »

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Re: Some RMRW 2.0 prep
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:40:54 PM »
Alan, I have the M/T ET street radials on my Fairlane and had the same tires in a different size on my Crown Vic for DW '17. I drove through plenty on rain storms with the Vic because I got lazy and left them on for a month or two. I drove home once from the track in the Fairlane and it started raining lightly. Neither one ever gave me trouble. I drove through deep puddles and standing water with the Vic and never noticed anything funny. Not sure how some of the other drag radials that look like a cheater slick work, but that's just my experience.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Some RMRW 2.0 prep
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 07:15:57 AM »
Kevin managed to do DW without a trailer, in his Shelby, but he had a fastback and no fuel cell. I don't know, Alan; having a small trailer makes life so much easier, and keeps you from tearing up the interior. As long as you've got a good mount, you'll never know that trailer is back there, but it'll keep you from having to smash everything inside the car, which isn't fun if you ever have to hit the brakes hard.

When it comes to drag slicks on the street, I don't think it matters if you have bias ply or radials. They'll be fine in the rain....until they aren't. Then you'll likely be looking at the road from about 50', if you're not on your top. Maybe a check of the forecast right before will help make that decision?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe