Author Topic: BBM or Trick Flow heads for my upcoming build?  (Read 4323 times)

wsu0702

• View Profile
BBM or Trick Flow heads for my upcoming build?
« on: July 24, 2020, 11:25:21 PM »
So I bought a set of bare BBM FE heads when they were on sale a few years back.  Then shortly after that Trick Flow announced that they were going to be coming out with new FE heads.  After the Trick Flow heads came out I watched interestingly for any reviews.  In general everyone agreed that they flowed much better than the BBMs right out of the box and were of equal quality.  So I advertised my BBMs on a FB for sale group and have been looking into buying a set of Trick Flows.  But then I was having very knowledgeable FE guys commenting.  About 1/2 say keeep the BBM's and 1/2 saying yes go with the Trick Flows.  My build is going to be a 427 block based 500ci street/strip engine.  Probably 50% strip and 50% street (45 min drives to work occasional in cool weather).  BBM block, Blue Thunder 4V intake, RPM 4-3/8" forged steel crank, rods/pistons/camshaft/valvetrain still undecided at this point.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: BBM or Trick Flow heads for my upcoming build?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 04:43:44 AM »
Unless you have them ported, the BBM heads will be about 50cfm behind the Trick Flow heads.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 07:15:02 AM »
With our standard prep on BBM heads, the Trick Flow is 17 cfm better on the intake side on my flowbench.  The BBM is 15 cfm better on the exhaust.  The BBM has a better chamber.  The TFS has no inserts in the exhaust bolt threads.

When we run a chamber program, intake program, and a hand touch up on the exhaust, the BBM is better everywhere.  A 500 inch engine will be better with the BBM the way we do them here.

I am trying not to comment on this forum much, but my information is true and accurate.
Blair Patrick

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
So I bought a set of bare BBM FE heads when they were on sale a few years back.  Then shortly after that Trick Flow announced that they were going to be coming out with new FE heads.  After the Trick Flow heads came out I watched interestingly for any reviews.  In general everyone agreed that they flowed much better than the BBMs right out of the box and were of equal quality.  So I advertised my BBMs on a FB for sale group and have been looking into buying a set of Trick Flows.  But then I was having very knowledgeable FE guys commenting.  About 1/2 say keeep the BBM's and 1/2 saying yes go with the Trick Flows.  My build is going to be a 427 block based 500ci street/strip engine.  Probably 50% strip and 50% street (45 min drives to work occasional in cool weather).  BBM block, Blue Thunder 4V intake, RPM 4-3/8" forged steel crank, rods/pistons/camshaft/valvetrain still undecided at this point.

The TFS heads are relatively new and a lot of guys don't have experience with them yet.  I think that's why you're getting a 50/50 opinion difference.   If you compare OOTB heads to OOTB heads, I don't think any other head will out perform them. 

On the bench here, the TFS heads hit at about 335 cfm @ .600" lift.   Those are out of the box numbers....disassemble, put checking springs on, throw them on the bench and go.   Keep in mind that those numbers are with a 169cc port volume.  As Blair pointed out, the exhaust side is a little lacking.  I think I'd have to disagree with the chamber shape as they seem to work very well and in some applications have only wanted 29-30° timing. 

Also on the bench here, an unported BBM head (read as just valve job and seat blend) will go about 285 cfm @ .600" lift.   Different guys prep them differently and can put more/less work into them. 

FWIW, a 445 with a set of OOTB TFS heads, Performer RPM, and a 231/239 @ .050" hydraulic roller with 10.3:1 compression will make right at 550 hp here with 590 lb-ft of torque.  A 445 with BBM heads and a larger hydraulic roller (235/243 @ .050") will be down 15 hp. 

Now, the way I see it, you can sell your BBM heads and buy TFS heads, or you can send your BBM heads out and have them worked over.   If you send them anywhere, I would let Blair work on them.  I'm not a fan of some of the CNC port jobs that you seem for those heads.....you will end up with a huge port volume and I think Blair would shy away from that.

I haven't built a 490-500 inch engine with the TFS heads yet, but I have an order for one.  I'm thinking that will be about the upper threshold for those heads since they are at a 169-170cc port volume, but I think they will still shine.   FWIW, they will support 700 hp easily here in shelf form.   I don't know of many heads that you can buy off the shelf, pull them out of the box, bolt them on, and make 700 hp. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

wsu0702

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 11:54:43 PM »
Brent I sent you a message via my email.

plovett

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 05:55:08 AM »
Is the chamber volume on the TFS heads accurate?

thanks,

paulie

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 06:02:54 AM »
Every one I've checked (and I check all that I use) come in at 69.5-70 cc.  Intake port volume usually sits a hair under 170cc.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

plovett

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 07:00:33 AM »
Every one I've checked (and I check all that I use) come in at 69.5-70 cc.  Intake port volume usually sits a hair under 170cc.

Thanks!

pl

427HR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »

I am trying not to comment on this forum much, but my information is true and accurate.

Blair, that's BS. We all value your opinion on this forum.

351crules

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 08:18:44 PM »

Blair, that's BS. We all value your opinion on this forum.

absolutely,,and everyone else's

winr1

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 10:22:52 PM »
I miss your posts Mr Patrick

Ricky.