Author Topic: vintage holman moody ford fe heads?  (Read 7266 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: vintage holman moody ford fe heads?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 07:41:11 AM »
I would have those heads cleaned and magged, then flow a port or two and see what they do.  I don't expect a lot, looks more like they did more port than bowl work, but it would be nice to see them with some valves out.

In fact, you could wash them down with a garden hose and flow a port or two for laughs.

Cool find!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

GTwayne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »
Last time I called HM (They have a website) the guy that answered told me he answers when the "boys" are out in the shop.
Give em a call, they probably have the answers to your questions.

chris401

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 09:56:45 PM »
Not HM heads but I have a set of heads with stamped numbers. I showed them to a couple of FE guru's, they said these were likely over the counter heads.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 10:09:33 AM »
   Chris ,
      "My" experience tells me different. The $88 is a serial number from a "run" of heads. The casting number may be different than the number on the end of the head which would indicate some form of different machining was done to that "run " of heads. To verify that a side by side comparison would be needed.  It could be anything from a valve size to an added or removed bolt hole. ALL things at Ford had to be documented and this head is one of those deals. I have had 351W heads done the same way.
   Randy

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 01:37:41 PM »
The stamped numbers on the end of the heads appear to be a part number for a head assembly with the 6049  vs the casting number being 6090.The HM marked heads appear to be consistent with other Holman Moody parts in that they used Ford style part numbers with the HM in the prefix number ,the A in between the 6 and 0 in 6049 is consistent with some Ford part numbers.The heads appear to be 390HP or 406 heads that H/M performed some sort of upgrade such as porting or different valves or different valve springs and assigned a new H/M part number to.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 01:46:51 PM »
I had two sets of Tunnel Port heads that were Holman Moody stamped but they had HM done with a proper letter punch not a prick punch. That would be 1967-68 era . I dunno, maybe in earlier times they did it a cruder way.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 04:18:46 PM »
If you look at the upper left corner of the pic you will see a smaller HM stamp with a regular stamp with diagonal off set,I'm not sure what the center punch stuff is about.

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 08:58:29 PM »
Lee Holman still runs the business and has a few old timers working there with him. They are about 30 minutes from where I live. I’m sure if you reach out to Lee he may be able to give you some information about the heads.

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 08:47:03 AM »
I had two sets of Tunnel Port heads that were Holman Moody stamped but they had HM done with a proper letter punch not a prick punch. That would be 1967-68 era . I
dunno, maybe in earlier times they did it a cruder way.

Tom did your head stamping look like these?

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 11:28:16 AM »
  Lance I've seen them like that and also (h      with the letters joined. HM was one of  a VERY
                                                             m)
  few entities outside of Ford that could fully machine raw castings ."Dots" with a center punch is not their style

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 01:12:19 PM »
Yes, my cammer block has "6HM XXX" stampings similar in style to the one in Lance's picture. 
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2021, 04:48:08 PM »
    Frank ,
      Was the McLaren purple by chance?
    Randy
Randy are you referencing the honker?

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2021, 04:57:01 PM »
  Lance I've seen them like that and also (h      with the letters joined. HM was one of  a VERY
                                                             m)
  few entities outside of Ford that could fully machine raw castings ."Dots" with a center punch is not their style
I really didn't pay too much attention to the dots I looked at the first pic wiith the diagonal offset HM stamp in the upper left and the C2HM part number below looks consistent with other HM stamped stuff I've had or seen.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2021, 05:33:02 PM »
    Frank ,
      Was the McLaren purple by chance?
    Randy
Randy are you referencing the honker?
John, he was referring to the MK3 McLaren, that my dry sump came out of. See picture on page 1.
Frank

Quisp21

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 08:32:19 PM »
Does anyone have any contact info on him?

Since 1968, I have had a H&M marked (part #), dry sump system for a 289. It came out of a McLaren MK4, Can Am car. I've never seen another one.

Dr. John Craft is on Facebook as “Jac HMguy”. You could probably message him there if you’re on Facebook. He saw these heads on 68Montclair’s Facebook post and commented there.

He dumped his Facebook recently, miss his posts.