Author Topic: vintage holman moody ford fe heads?  (Read 7250 times)

68montclair

• View Profile
vintage holman moody ford fe heads?
« on: July 22, 2020, 08:59:51 PM »
long time lurker, first time poster :)
i picked up this set of C2 heads last weekend. Bought them because i had been looking for a small chamber head and these had been ported and had CJ sized valves installed already. didn't pay much attention to the HM stamp on the front pad. got home and noticed the C2HM line along the bottom of front pad on both heads. posted in a couple places, had some feedback that they're probably legit. where i'm striking out, is there anyone that can help me find out more information on them? possibly what the rest of the C2HM stamped line means?
thanks guys!

gt350hr

• View Profile
Re: vintage holman moody ford fe heads?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »
  HM sold "performance" cylinder heads back then and the limit was the thickness of your wallet. LOL These look legit and were good "for the day" . More recent heads ( HR , MR , TP , 428CJ) are better . The nice thing about these is the work is "undetectable" when bolted on plus the "cool factor" of being from HM.
     Nice score.

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 12:55:32 PM »
Be interesting to get them on a flow bench.  Neat Find!

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 04:14:58 PM »
68montclair (Zack), Great find I am sure Jason would put them on his flow bench. 

Mike
1971 Maverick Grabber

68montclair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »
  HM sold "performance" cylinder heads back then and the limit was the thickness of your wallet. LOL These look legit and were good "for the day" . More recent heads ( HR , MR , TP , 428CJ) are better . The nice thing about these is the work is "undetectable" when bolted on plus the "cool factor" of being from HM.
     Nice score.

guess the eternal questions. 1. how fast do you want to go? 2. how much you want to spend? really are eternal! lol

Feel a little guilty, bought em to throw on a 390 i have laying around that i want to put in a foxbody. Might have to pull the edelbrocks off my montclair and put them on the fox instead lol

thanks for the feedback!

68montclair

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 10:23:00 PM »
68montclair (Zack), Great find I am sure Jason would put them on his flow bench. 

Mike

i was just thinking about that. he has a pr of c6 heads and my BT intake, probably get to them in a month or two. see if he'd fit these in just for funsies

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 12:51:55 AM »
I wonder what ever happened to the Dr. on the old network 54 Forum..I believe he  was C5HM....His knowledge would really be helpful...
None the less.....cool set of heads..
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 06:52:05 AM »
I wonder what ever happened to the Dr. on the old network 54 Forum..I believe he  was C5HM....His knowledge would really be helpful...
None the less.....cool set of heads..

Doc is still around, but if you don't recall, he lost several of his restored vehicles to flooding. Pretty sure he was able to save at least one, but still, that had to be heartbreaking to lose those cool cars. I wonder what the insurance company did with them.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »
   C5HM ( Dr John Craft) is still around as cjshaker mentioned.  He is a great "factual" source for all things Holman Moody. By factual I mean he knows the difference between "Ford" parts , Ford parts "sold" by H&M , and "H&M" parts as well as THE cars they built.
   Randy

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 12:33:36 PM »
Does anyone have any contact info on him?

Since 1968, I have had a H&M marked (part #), dry sump system for a 289. It came out of a McLaren MK4, Can Am car. I've never seen another one.
Frank

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
    Frank ,
      Was the McLaren purple by chance?
    Randy

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 04:53:55 PM »
     Nice score.

guess the eternal questions. 1. how fast do you want to go? 2. how much you want to spend? really are eternal! lol

Feel a little guilty, bought em to throw on a 390 i have laying around that i want to put in a foxbody. Might have to pull the edelbrocks off my montclair and put them on the fox instead lol

will the valves on those heads clear the cylinder walls on a 390 without notching the cylinder walls?

thanks for the feedback!
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 07:08:32 PM »
    Frank ,
      Was the McLaren purple by chance?
    Randy
Randy, I don't know the color. His name is Kurt Speet, he raced in the Mid West.

I was wrong about the year I bought it, it had to be '70 and I was wrong about the MK4, it was a MK3. I confused it with the Atlantic Mk4. It was a long time back.

This is the car, he took the Ford out and put a SBC in it and only race a couple more times, after that, last time in TX, I think.
Frank

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 07:34:31 PM »
Does anyone have any contact info on him?

Since 1968, I have had a H&M marked (part #), dry sump system for a 289. It came out of a McLaren MK4, Can Am car. I've never seen another one.

Dr. John Craft is on Facebook as “Jac HMguy”. You could probably message him there if you’re on Facebook. He saw these heads on 68Montclair’s Facebook post and commented there.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 01:21:16 AM »
Thank you, Kevin.

I'll go look for him.