Author Topic: Using Hard Block to Fill Intake Crossover  (Read 1993 times)

mtburger

• View Profile
Using Hard Block to Fill Intake Crossover
« on: July 17, 2020, 11:21:54 AM »
Hello All.

I am looking for a solution to block off the exhaust crossover on an aluminum intake.

I do not have access to a tig, and didn't want to stack a couple pieces of stainless in there.

I figured I could block one side and pour in some block grout, clean it up when dry and be good to go.

Has anyone done this, or see an issue with it?

Thanks, Mike H.

1964Fastback

• View Profile
Re: Using Hard Block to Fill Intake Crossover
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 01:11:42 PM »
You could use Fel-Pro 1246s3 (low riser) or 1247s3 (medium riser) intake gaskets, which block the crossovers.

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 01:47:20 PM »
You could use Fel-Pro 1246s3 (low riser) or 1247s3 (medium riser) intake gaskets, which block the crossovers.

Pat

Do those gaskets actually have a steel piece or just block it with "cardboard" gasket?

I'd be a little worried about the expansion difference maybe cracking a good aluminum intake but I have no idea if that's a real worry.

One of my 428PI intakes was rotted out on the bottom (WHY would Ford put aluminum on a cop car, so much time idling), and the openings welded up with aluminum. It's so great - no blocking to worry about.

Beyond that I use a thin .010-.020 piece of STEEL - it will blow right thru aluminum beer can stock, BTDT.
Also if the blocking piece is too thin you can actually hear a tinny sound at the tailpipes.

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 02:20:56 PM »
Do those gaskets actually have a steel piece or just block it with "cardboard" gasket?

That is a good question.  Someone else will have to answer, as I don't have an old one to check.  But I did switch intakes after putting about 5,000 miles (mostly highway) on a set and the old ones looked fine overall.  Wish I'd thought to check what was going on under the exhaust crossover, though.

Pat

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 02:36:47 PM »
The "-S3" versions of the Fel-Pro gaskets have a steel liner that would block off the crossover

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 02:48:43 PM »
The "-S3" versions of the Fel-Pro gaskets have a steel liner that would block off the crossover

Thanks for confirming, Barry.  They look like cardboard from the outside and I suspected the crossover was blocked with steel inside but didn't want to guess.

Pat

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
When I was young and dumb we just used steel shim material. Cut it with a scissors - a little silicone to keep in place.
Never had an issue with that method.

Cheers

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 05:28:29 AM »
Have my own Fab shop and  I used a thin piece of stainless and ground it to fit the gasket. Been in there for 10+ yrs and no problem.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 07:50:57 AM »
So this was literally 30 years ago, but on a bad PI I had, I made small slugs of aluminum, spend a couple of hours on a grinding wheel for interference fit, and tapped them in lightly, then a couple spikes with a prick punch to swage them in and they stayed forever.  I like the idea of similar metals and some thickness to get a little deeper.

I don't remember how long it took or how much I had to modify the hole to get it done, but I don't remember it being hard
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

chris401

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 08:45:36 AM »
I bought a StreetMaster that was filled with some sore of Resin. It looked like fiberglass Resin without the fiberglass. The preveous owner bought it that way.