Author Topic: Booster / Wilwood MC Rod Length Question  (Read 597 times)

CV355

• View Profile
Booster / Wilwood MC Rod Length Question
« on: July 06, 2020, 07:44:12 AM »
I installed a new 9" single diaphragm booster when reassembling the interior and brake pedal assembly of our '69 Mach 1.  The booster was from CJ Pony Parts, listed as a direct fit for 69/70.  I had to modify the rod to accept the brake switch, which I thought was odd at first.  Now I'm to a point where I tried to install a Wilwood master cylinder, and the rod length is totally off.  I measured vs the old booster (Bendix dual 8") and the old booster rod is 0.25" longer and almost 2x the diameter.  I cannot extend the new booster rod enough to hit the 0.020" gap.  I thought about machining a new rod extension but this thing is skinny and I don't like it being unsupported for 1.2". 

Wilwood included an aluminum spacer (PN 300-13885) for short rod boosters or direct manual brakes.  However, this spacer fills the entire MC piston cavity, making it too long.  Is there any reason I can't drill the spacer out to accept the [new 9"] skinny booster rod?  I'd be boring about 0.25" in, which will also support the rod better. 

Anything I might be missing?  I had brakes completely fail one time (not due to incorrect install) in 2009 and I have been paranoid ever since. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:57:28 AM by CV355 »