Author Topic: AOD transmission behind a FE  (Read 3549 times)

Saltshaker

• View Profile
AOD transmission behind a FE
« on: June 28, 2020, 04:17:45 PM »
Anyone install a aod trans on there FE? I currently have a TKO600 and thinking I might want  to swap for a AOD .Is  there  one about the same size as a tko600?
Jon
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 04:19:27 PM by Saltshaker »

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
Re: AOD transmission behind a FE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:49:42 PM »
Here's an option that was done instead of the AOD:

4R70W Install

Auto Transmission Gear Ratios
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »
Several options for putting one behind an FE. In the link above a factory Ford bellhousing was adapted. A few adapters are available as well as a couple of bellhousing that bolt to the pump. The adapters were not appealing to me as the trans is pushed back the thickness of the adapter and it is fairly tight as is with an FE in a mustang.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased the quicktime bellhousing to retrofit a 4r70w behind an FF in my 69 mustang. Unfortunately I'm not to the point of mockup in the car yet. Last week I did start trimming the bellhousing off the 4r70w so I may compare the dimensions to the C6.
Mike

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 08:40:30 AM »
When you do the 4R70, do you lose the speedometer? My dad's '63 Galaxie needs a new transmission and we have been juggling ideas around. Don't want to lose the speedomater though.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
Not nessicerilly. If I recall correctly I read the 2002 model year was the last of the mechanical speedo capable. However I picked up a 4r7ow from a 2003 police car that has is capable of a mecanical speedo. I do beleive the number of teeth on the output shaft changed over the years.
Mike

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 12:49:32 PM »
I have done it on a couple of vehicles.  Both were street only, mileage eating cruisers. No strip action, whatsoever.

1962 Mercury Monterey Wagon.  352 (325 Hp, 375 ft-lbs).  Broader built the trans, used their adaptor to bolt the Cruis-O bellhousing to the AOD's pump after removing the AOD's stock bellhousing.  Removed the AOD's lock up feature and went to a C6 style 2 piece input shaft rather than the AOD's 3 piece.  This required a custom torque convertor and we were able to get the stall to come in at around 1800 rpms with the 3.6:1 rear axle ratio.  Note, the Cruis-O's relatively small housing limits the torque converter size to 11" or less.  It is difficult to get small convertors to run low stall speeds, but with the relatively small (352) motor, it worked out well in this application.  The car cruises happily in OD all day, running about 2200 rpm at 75 mph.

1976 F-250.  390 (370 Hp, 450 ft-lbs).  I built the trans this time, again removed the lock-up feature, also added a TCI constant-pressure valve body.  I ordered a Quicktime AOD-FE bellhousing after the Holley tech told me that the Quicktime bell would support the stock 12" convertor and I knew I would have a harder time getting a smaller 11" convertor to have a low enough stall with the more powerful 390 and heavier weight of the F-250 over the Merc.  NOTE:  The Quicktime Bell will NOT support a 12" convertor, despite what Holly says.  I had Broader build a 11" convertor, but after multiple attempts, we could not get the stall low enough to have good street manners.  It would overheat the fluid, especially towing or at interstate speeds and eventually I pulled it and put a C6 back in. 

If I were to do the F-250 again, I would have used the Bendsten's adaptor plate and just dealt with the trans moving back 1.5".  This would have at least allowed me to run a larger convertor and to hopefully get the stall down to an acceptable speed.  I still think eliminating the lock-out and going with the 2 piece input shaft is a good idea when dealing with a high torque FE.  This is the AOD's main weakpoint, but it does require a custom torque convertor.  I have a friend running the Bendsten's Adaptor in his '64 Marauder, with a very healthy 500 hp 428.  It required some floor and firewall massaging, but other wise works well.

Broader AOD with Cruis-O bell.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:02:02 PM by FrozenMerc »

Magnus01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 07:04:29 PM »
Hey Saltshaker, I have a Lentech AOD with QuickTime bell housing and converter for sale. It has never been ran in my car. I decided on a t56 instead. Let me know if you are interested.

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 08:44:15 PM »
FrozenMerc,

Do you recall the part number for the QuickTime bell you utilized, RM-9057 or RM-9058?
Mike

DubyaTF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 09:08:38 AM »

I emailed Broader just a couple weeks ago about an AOD for my F100. Their response was that they don't build the AOD anymore, rather the 4R70W. Not sure why as an explanation wasn't given.
Jeff

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 12:27:05 PM »
FrozenMerc,

Do you recall the part number for the QuickTime bell you utilized, RM-9057 or RM-9058?

RM-9057.  I have only ever played with the older, non-electronic AOD's.

I emailed Broader just a couple weeks ago about an AOD for my F100. Their response was that they don't build the AOD anymore, rather the 4R70W. Not sure why as an explanation wasn't given.

I can't speak for Broader, but I have had a few transmission shops tell me that good rebuildable AOD cores are getting quite hard to find.  This may have something to do with it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:28:42 PM by FrozenMerc »

FB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 08:43:41 PM »
Anyone install a aod trans on there FE? I currently have a TKO600 and thinking I might want  to swap for a AOD .Is  there  one about the same size as a tko600?
Jon

Jon,
 i have one in my kellison, been in about 12 years now. mine has a manual valve body. built by FB Performance.

https://www.fbperformance.com/ViewTransmission/?TransmissionID=44

Phone
(631) 242 - 0008 (In NY)
(800) 769 - 1118 (Out of State)

Facsimile
(631) 243 - 3054

Mail
FB Performance Transmissions, Inc.
85 Cleveland Ave.
Bay Shore, N.Y. 11706

Fred