Author Topic: 63/64 Galaxie with a T-pan - feedback  (Read 1308 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
63/64 Galaxie with a T-pan - feedback
« on: June 23, 2020, 06:26:02 AM »
Looking for experience with a T-pan, mostly for left/right clearance in an early FE Galaxie.

I am doing a 461 with a rack and pinion and FPA headers, both look to be well behind the sump, so no factor but working from pictures I want to make sure an early Gal has room side to side up front.

I'd rather not go deep pan if I can help it for ground clearance.  I think it's a no brainer, but anyone have a a "gotcha"?

Thanks!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: 63/64 Galaxie with a T-pan - feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »
I have Moroso T road racing pan. 
Front corners are very close, less than an inch, but they do fit.
Of note, I did install new motor mounts etc during engine install.

I will also say that I bought my FPA headers from a guy who was installing r&p steering and had issues, so maybe check that well.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:18:35 AM »
Oh. FPA headers require a little trimming on my upper A-Arm suspension bits. I don’t recall all that well, think the back stud that sticks out and a little grinding on arm itself. I am not home or I’d take pics

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »
FPA headers as well in my car, also took a little trip on the rear of the top A-Arm mount.  Seem to remember I had to nick a bit off the passenger body mount as well but no big deal. 

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 01:21:34 PM »
I have a Canton T pan in mine with the factory cast headers. I wanted the ground clearance as well.
No clearance problems with stock manual steering stuff.
I think I remember a warning about sway bar diameters, but I have the 'small' bar and there are no issues.
Bill

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
The car has the rack, the headers, and a stock front sump oil pan now.  I want to go T-pan as it likely will sit low when he is done.

Looking at the pics he sent, headers are nowhere near the front sump but hard to see, and R&P tucks out back away from the sump, but hard to see what is left and right of the front of the pan.  I was mostly wondering if any issues with the T itself, sounds like no

Thanks guys!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »
I ran a cast T pan in my wagon for a couple years, but that was with long cast iron headers and stock suspension.  It currently resides in my black car with said cast iron headers.
Larry