Author Topic: Dove heads  (Read 1914 times)

Hipopinto

• View Profile
Dove heads
« on: June 21, 2020, 06:44:30 PM »
I have a chance to pick up a “bare” uncut set of DOVE medium riser castings

These have valve guide bores cut and hardened seats installed but all else needs to be done

What is a fair price for these and are they a good casting or once they are complete am I just better off going with an off the shelf head?

This would be for a future build large bore large displacement

Thanks guys

Dave

Hipopinto

• View Profile
Re: Dove heads
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 06:57:13 PM »
By the way these need port work as well as they are just castings with hardened guides

Dave

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 09:45:58 PM »
Are they aluminum castings? By the way, you'll need to be much more specific regarding what you have. Dove had the ability to mix-'n'-match intake and exhaust runners and combustion chambers so 'medium-riser-castings' is way too vague. What sort of valve pockets?
They may be just fine and perhaps not so much. At one time, Dove had a whole bunch of castings he'd scrapped, stolen. They were then found on the market and many people were disappointed.
Tell us more.

KS

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 04:56:59 AM »
This could be one of those cases?

I have to go get more numbers and pictures but I’m thinking it may not be worth it

They are castings that need finished machines and ported

They are aluminum but I remember had an SK part number

I’m thinking after I get guides, valves and all the porting done it would be less expensive to get an off the shelf head With someone to talk to about any issues and possibly warranty for manufacturing defects if any

Dave

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 06:43:39 AM »
I think your last statement was accurate.  The juice isn't worth the squeeze

Some options today that weren't there before.

- Bolt an off the shelf TFS head on and make power easy
- Buy a set of CnC ported heads, either BBM or FElony and make power easy
- Have a pro-port Edelbrock built for the specific application and likely make even more power

Just a guess, but likely all of those will beat the Dove head in both power and cost, and no worries about porosity.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:13:47 PM »
I agree with everyone above. Dove's can be good however with other options and what these sound like (rejects) why risk it. Also, people get excited that their Dove Heads have a SK number. As far as I know..  every Aluminum head Dove did was the same SK number so that adds zero value to them.

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 04:44:57 AM »
Ok

I found them as being “odd” in the state they are in meaning partially machined

Plus the more I think about it it’s better to support those that will support you meaning buy from a good reputable source

Thanks guys
Dave