Author Topic: Mallory Unilite issue  (Read 3197 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Mallory Unilite issue
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 09:05:11 AM »
Simple fix is a 1975 or 76 Ford Duraspark distributor triggering an external MSD6 (or a Duraspark if you are so inclined).  It will fit and it will probably never fail.  No electronics inside an inaccessable location with high heat and vibration.

More complicated is a distributor we made for a blower application.  Shortened an MSD 8594 and made an adapter to mount a Chevy sized crab cap.  Still using an external electronic box because mounting electronics to the engine was a lousy idea when GM did it in 1975 (HEI), a lousy idea when Ford did it in 1987 (TFI), and its still a lousy idea today.  And I know that a bazillion folks successfully do it every day (including on my old rat rod 46)...

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 12:58:35 PM »
I just need something better then Azone points.  Some NOS or such would be good. Or some Accel or such aftermarket?  I can bolt the points plate right back in the distributor.
Larry

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 06:14:14 PM »
Just an observation from another Unilite fan. Larry has said he has run his Unilite conversion for decades without any real problems until right now and all this advice he gets is to get rid of it. Where's the love for the venerable Unilite? :)

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 10:24:45 PM »
Noticed a comment regarding points bounce up the screen a bit, so thought I'd chime in.

The very first 'hotrod' thing I ever did was to put a Mallory conversion kit in the diz on the family '53 Merc. Toward the top of first gear, the engine would violently 'break up'. I guessed it might be ignition and talked to the guys at the local 'high performance' shop, who suggested the dual-point conversion. (My Dad wasn't a 'car' guy, although he didn't object to my getting my fingers greasy.) The instructions that came with the kit explained how to put the parts inside the diz and mount the giant brass-canned condenser on the outside. But my buddy and I were stumped for a half-an-hour when the engine wouldn't restart.

Finally I remembered having read about setting the gap on points and that four thicknesses of map paper (we all had maps in the glove compartment) would establish a working gap. So we set the points with map paper and the engine came to life. And from that time on, the flathead Merc would wind to the moon with NO break-up.

I fell in love with ignition systems to such an extent that, when I finally bought a NEW car, it was a '64 Ford Custom---with a 427-T engine. It said so on the valve covers. I'd ordered the optional transistorized ignition on the engine, complete with the Bakelite housing on the inner fender housing and the 'T' appended to the 427 sticker on the valve covers.

The distributor used only one set of points. (Buy them special, by part number, at the dealer.) I was told they alternatively fit in a six cylinder diz. But even with the transistor package, there was a bit of 'break-up' above 6000, and I was shifting at 6500, or trying to. I finally wedged a piece of scuba-diver's wet-suit material between the arm on the points and the inner side of the diz body. (I was a scuba instructor and had lots of scraps of foam neoprene laying around.) This stabilized the points and kept them from bouncing, even at high RPM.

On the last FE engine I built, I went to a trigger wheel, And this next time, I'll use a COP set-up and run the entire ignition through the ECM that runs both the injection and the ignition and, a few other things as well, so there'll just be a blank spot where the distributor was meant to go. But if I were to have anything to do with points, I'd use something like a chunk of foam neoprene wedged in place to stabilize the point arm.

KS
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:28:29 PM by cammerfe »

mike7570

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 12:48:28 AM »
Just an observation from another Unilite fan. Larry has said he has run his Unilite conversion for decades without any real problems until right now and all this advice he gets is to get rid of it. Where's the love for the venerable Unilite? :)
Used them in a bunch of cars, my ski boat and my race car. Not one problem.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »
Never again I walked to many times because of a Unilite. Also blew up many exhaust systems good idea not very reliable.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2020, 10:08:52 AM »
I have had both good luck and bad luck with the Unilite distributors.  The one thing that seems to kill them quickly is low battery voltage.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 06:38:47 AM »
The points I installed in 1999 when I built the motor worked great and would go to 6k every time.  The ones in 2012 where junk from AutoZone.  If I can find another Mallory YL tach drive distributor I would really like that.  Points and the chance to install my other mechanical tach.  I have a factory crab cap tach drive but like I mentioned it is worthless due to the height.  The YL tach drive std cap in the wagon is a very short height.

I will get something figured out.
Larry