Author Topic: Question on 69 Fairlane fiberglass hood/fenders?  (Read 4752 times)

fescj428

• View Profile
Question on 69 Fairlane fiberglass hood/fenders?
« on: June 11, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
I am restoring a 69 Fairlane formal roof Cobra clone. I am aware of a guy on Ebay in Canada selling repro fiberglass front fenders and hood and was wondering if anyone had any dealings with him? More interested in quality of parts, fit, etc? I'm not opposed to buying original sheet metal, but just having no luck finding anything good, or the owner thinks they are gold. I would appreciate any thoughts? Thank you, Brian

Fordman

• View Profile
Re: Question on 69 Fairlane fiberglass hood/fenders?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 04:10:47 PM »
What's the ebay sellers name?. I havent seen glass parts for  69 torino/fairlane on ebay. Thanks

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 04:24:10 PM »
Unlimited used to have molds for that - if he picked them up from there, they are really old.  Like early 90s when they got rid of a bunch of stuff.

There used to be a mom/pop company in FL that made some fiberglass parts.  I bought the fiberglass bumper for my 67 Falcon from them - nice part.  I seem to remember they may have had 69 model parts.  They sold the business and retired.  I bought a hood from the new company for a 70 Mustang (figure 2000~2001 time frame).  The newcompany had sent the molds to China to save mfg costs.  The hood that came was about 1" small in width and length.  And paper thin.  So proceed with caution.

I passed on a 69 quite a while back because after looking, if the car doesn't have all good metal, trim, bumpers,etc - you're in for a hunt.  I have a 67 Falcon, no different.  Parts from a donor or no parts. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 04:31:25 PM by Falcon67 »

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »
I've seen some negative reviews regarding the quality of the Canadian parts. I have no direct experience, but what I read did put me off.

I have the 68/69 Crites bumpers and they're of the good quality (not show quality out of the box, but quite nice) I've always received from them. Crites sells a ram air 68/69 hood, but I've not looked closely at one in person.

I hope someone can point you to a good source. I'd like to eventually have doors too, if possible.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:56:06 PM by C8OZ »

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 04:07:41 AM »
Amd auto parts is making a lot for them new bumpers floors ect add more every time i look.

fescj428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 05:23:47 AM »
I appreciate all of the responses! I actually do have original hood and fenders for my car, and they are rustfree. But, they are badly beat and dented. The man hours to fix this stuff would be significant and the guy would have to be a great sculptor. I haven't found much of anything for sale close to me ( central Ohio area ) nor on east coast/west coast at this time. I am certainly not opposed to original sheet metal if the parts are decent and the price reasonable, but, I saw the fiberglass hood and fenders listed on Ebay and wanted to look into it more. The guy selling them on Ebay is "showcarsrob". Apparently sells other fiberglass parts for Mopar, Chevy, etc. Country of origin is shown as Canada and that is where parts would be shipped from. I am also aware of the Crites ram air hood. I would actually prefer the flat hood. I have a message into Crites if they have the ability to make a flat fiberglass hood? I don't need these parts tomorrow, I have time. Glad I started looking now.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 07:53:54 AM »
You might give Desert Valley Auto Parts a call. They have a large selection of older cars from the desert area so rust is not much of an issue. I bought a frame from them a long time ago for my 66 Galaxie and I was happy with it.
https://www.dvap.com/

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »
That name sounds familiar for some reason

Neutral Feedback:

for the price should been ready to prime and paint, had to do alot of work to it
1968-1969 Ford Fairlane Torino Showcars Stock Flat Bolt-on Hood (#123860835915)
Buyer: s***o (348)
US $494.99   
Past 6 months
Reciprocal feedback- View feedback left by showcarsrob for the member who left feedback for showcarsrob

Also Positive Feedback:
Thanks just as advertised! Super fast shipping.
1966-1967 Ford Fairlane Right Front Fender (FF70) (#113368788317)
Buyer: r***p (2492)
US $249.00   
Past 6 months
Reciprocal feedback- View feedback left by showcarsrob for the member who left feedback for showcarsrob

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 10:26:17 AM »
Check out obsolete+classic auto parts.com  they have more fairlane parts then most and are ok to deal with.If you have rust free fenders find old body shop  and have them fixed 68-69 parts are hard to find and cost big bucks i have a 69.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 04:55:08 PM »
I kinda doubt any of his web site is still valid - http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/fairlane.html

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 07:05:42 AM »
My theory on these Ford unibody cars with the front doghouse/shocktower design like Fairlane/Torino/Mustang/Falcon is the steel fenders add some rigidity to the front.  Steel certainly would absorb crash energy better than fiberglass if the unfortunate event happened.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »
My theory on these Ford unibody cars with the front doghouse/shocktower design like Fairlane/Torino/Mustang/Falcon is the steel fenders add some rigidity to the front.  Steel certainly would absorb crash energy better than fiberglass if the unfortunate event happened.

Perhaps they do but having jacked-up fenderless and then fendered Mustangs, the rigidity steel fenders offers is quite small in my opinion. Adding the Monte Carlo bar and other topside pieces that strengthen or tighten things up may also offer better crash protection. 
Bob Maag

Val406

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 09:11:52 AM »
As of right now (10a.m. Eastern) the phone number listed on the link from Falcon67 is a good number. Its in Southern Ontario and went to voicemail. The outgoing message prompted me to list specific part I'm inquiring about. Maybe worth a phone call on a weekday.

fescj428

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 12:01:52 PM »
I appreciate all of the responses very much! I'll keep the guy in Canada in mind, but, I wouldn't want to do anything with those parts until I get at least a positive response from someone who has used them. I sent him a message about where the parts are actually made and he didn't respond. However, he did respond with a package deal on hood and fenders shipped for $1500. I would like to think that I could find a nice original hood and fenders for around a $1000, but I may be dreaming? I do have time on this, and I'm glad I started this hunt early. Surprisingly, I posted this same message on another site dedicated to my car. No response, nothing? I'll keep looking! Thanks Much! Brian

fescj428

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 08:36:57 AM »
I wanted to post an update on what I'm finding hood and fender wise for my car. Hope that these posts help someone else doing something similar to me.

I reached out to a guy in the northeast Ohio area selling Fairlane parts. I was quoted $200 each for front fenders needing repair work. He has a nice flat 69 hood for $1000 which seems a bit steep?

I am looking a bit at the Crites 68/69 Fairlane fiberglass ram air hood. Decent quality and they are local. Trying to wrap my brain around the ram air scoop part. I guess I'm a bigger fan of the clean flat hood and sleeper look of a stock 69 Fairlane Cobra. Trying to be open minded considering whats available.

There is a place in Florida called USbody. They offer a flat hood in fiberglass for 69 Fairlane. I need to check with them, but looks like it's a hood pin type hood ( four corner hood pins). I would prefer to use hinges, lighter tension Shelby hinge springs, and a latch in addition to factory hood pins.

I have tried getting some more info on the fiberglass hood and fenders made in Canada from Ebay vendor. No luck when I ask specific questions.

I guess if I had Barrett/Jackson pocket book, none of this would be a problem. Regular guy trying to get it done.

Thx, Brian