Author Topic: New block source  (Read 15621 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
New block source
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:15:34 PM »
How many of you might be interested in a billet FE block? (I live in Metro Detroit and EVERYTHING in way of mechanical stuff is available if you know where to look.)

There is an outfit in a northern suburb that has the capability to take a virgin aluminum billet and carve off everything that isn't an FE block. Within reason you can specify all details.

With hairdryers, and methanol and spray, using some of Jay's components, how much power do you want to make?

KS

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: New block source
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLNJ8d8Vqc

I've watched this video a few times.  Way beyond my pay grade.
Larry

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 03:08:54 PM »
It's not an FE Block, it's more of a 385 series block, I think with cooling issues for one among other issues, and was probably why no more were ever made. 
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 03:46:30 PM »
One of our forum members is already working on that. I’m guessing finding a CNC shop that can whittle out the block isn’t as hard as doing all programming involved to tell the CNC machine what to do, and come up with the $ to do it. For those that missed or forgot about the thread here’s a link to it. I haven’t seen any updates lately, maybe he or Jay will see this and comment.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=8274.0;all
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:57:44 PM »
Some years ago, a West Coast shop (maybe Donovan?) was making an aluminum block (not billet IIRC) that would accept a wide range of Chrysler or Ford hemi heads, had a dual-drilled bellhousing setup and used an aftermarket crank. The idea was to make a nitro capable block. Don't remember any more details and I don't believe the project went anywhere beyond a one-off sample block. 
Bob Maag

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 04:43:09 PM »
All these billet blocks seem to be whittled down to save weight.
If you're starting with a literal block of aluminum, why not just mill out 8 cylinders and other necessary passages and leave the bulk of the metal for strength and stability.  I believe the Kirkham's said the initial forged block of aluminum started at under 400 pounds. Probably under 200 lbs with milling necessary to use with pistons, crank, can, oil, cooling.  I'd be OK with a sub-200 lb block if it was strong, like bull

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 05:50:44 PM »
I would think that you could count on one hand the number of people that would go for something like this. Shelby has a nice cast aluminum offering and those aren't splurged for all that often.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »
Any brand new block is of interest to me. Has anyone considered a group buy with one of the 427 block providers? Say an order was put in for 15 iron and 15 aluminum 427 blocks. Any deal to be had? Personally I'm  interested in an iron block as I am most concerned about strength and longevity. I won't be using the motor in a competitive environment. However that is just my perspective. Maybe there's an opportunity here?
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 11:36:20 PM »
General reply to all who offered a comment. 'Billet' as we are talking about it means that the original block of aluminum has been forged, not simply cast. The Kirkham project weighed about 65 pounds when completed---down from about 380 for the billet they started with.

The project is going forward for several reasons. One of the most important is that virtually ANYTHING can be specified. The engine will be fully water-jacketed---they call it their 'endurance' option. The cam tunnel will be, for all practical purposes, a solid tube---for the strength it provides. The cam tunnel will also be raised for more room in the crankcase.

There will be lugs both on the outside of the block and in the valley to be able to use additional head studs---for more complete clamping. There will be no need for motor mounts---we'll use motor plates instead.

When I told them I'd be using a combination of methanol and boost, and with the addition of a bit of nitrous oxide for additional chemical cooling, instead of running a regular intercooler, and expecting to have as much as 5K horsepower, my contact simply said, 'You'll need to be using a billet crank and the rods and pistons to go with it'---very matter-of-factly. This will be a project that'll go together during this coming winter. Covid constraints on my business and a heart attack at the end of last January have also had their input. But it's coming.

KS

winr1

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 12:29:26 AM »
Darn, hope ya doin well after the attack KS and best wishes !!

Neat conversation, of course anything FE interests me

I would like an aluminum block for the weight savings

Would there be a market for a block that was for average hot rodders not trying to make max HP ??

I would like a big cube aluminum block for my 65 F100 as I am trying to get it light as possible

Iron would fine as well

Ricky.

winr1

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 12:40:18 AM »
I reread the last post
General reply to all who offered a comment. 'Billet' as we are talking about it means that the original block of aluminum has been forged, not simply cast. The Kirkham project weighed about 65 pounds when completed---down from about 380 for the billet they started with..

How much does a chunk of forged aluminium that large cost I wonder ??

And what kind of forge is used ??

Ricky.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 01:00:37 AM »
For the Cammer guys, this seems like it would be a opportunity to up grade.

A external , timing belt drive and a 3 valve cams and combustion chamber. That would reduce weight in the valve train and overall weight of the engine. Ease of maintenance and reduced friction, would also be advantages.
Frank

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 05:46:56 AM »
For the Cammer guys, this seems like it would be a opportunity to up grade.

A external , timing belt drive and a 3 valve cams and combustion chamber. That would reduce weight in the valve train and overall weight of the engine. Ease of maintenance and reduced friction, would also be advantages.
Good point. People that can afford a cammer can afford to upgrade and should.
I can only look on in awe, if I had the $ I would be all in !
Woody

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 04:32:23 PM »
Well I read through this thread and I didn’t see a price ( or estimation ) for such a beast, So forgive me if I missed it. My gut tells me it’s one of those “ if you have to ask you can’t afford it “ type deals.

Still, I hope it works out for you, it’s awesome to think about and I hope to see some pics when it does come together.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 06:00:27 PM »
Wonder why Kirkham buried the project and results?
They're usually really upfront and open about things.

Did someone die during testing?