Author Topic: Well that's that. I am officially unemployed  (Read 6025 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Well that's that. I am officially unemployed
« on: May 28, 2020, 02:34:52 PM »
After 42 years in the electrical trade and working the last 32 yrs, 7mths at The Boeing Company-now-Spirit Aerosystems as an industrial electrician/CNC technician, I have called it a day and am embarking on the next chapter of my life.  8)

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Well that's that. I am officially unemployed
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
Good luck.
 You will be lost for a while until you get used to it.
Greg

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 03:03:21 PM »
Good luck.
 You will be lost for a while until you get used to it.
Greg
Thanks! I think it will take a little while to grasp the idea that I will (hopefully) never have to in to a job again unless I just want to, since I have always worked,

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »
Congrats from another soon-to-be retired aerospace worker!  Are you in the Seattle area or Wichita or?  I'll be retiring at the end of June after 34 years of wind tunnel testing for Lockheed Martin just outside of Atlanta.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 04:36:44 PM »
Congrats Alan.
I just turned 65 the other day and I must say, this little look into retirement for the last 3 months courtesy of China has me thinking I’m going to like it. It’s really nice that if you don’t get a job done on your car you just finish the next day. No worries about having to get to work.
Just have enough projects to stay busy is what I’m thinking.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 04:39:07 PM »
Congrats Alan, I think you will LOVE being retired. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 04:46:33 PM »
Congrats Alan! Are you doing the rocky mountain race week this year? I know you had spoken of it in the past.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

FElony

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
Congrats, Alan. Good time to start a fitness program, if you haven't already. Sedentary complacency can often lead to waking up face-first in the planter in front of your porch, the neighborhood kids jeering at you while their dogs add their two cents to the liter of tequila your bladder geysered into your cheap Chinese jeans four hours ago. Not that that has ever happened to me. Nope. Not me. Just sayin' as an example. Happened to a friend. Yep, that's it.

FElony

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 08:20:44 PM »

I just turned 65 the other day.......

Damn old farts, always one step ahead. I turned 64 yesterday, but you're darn tootin' I'll have caught up to you by next year. I gots me some nitrous; I assume that's what a skull and crossbones on this bottle means.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 08:36:15 PM »
I assume that's what a skull and crossbones on this bottle means.
Nitrous for the soul
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »
Thanks for all the well wishes. I will answer the questions posed here.
I work(ed) at the Wichita facility

I am not sure if I'll make to RMRW. I have yet to make it to the track due to the ongoing Corona virus thing. Also the transition to retirement requires me to go on COBRA insurance for a little while and I won't get my info until probably the middle of June so I am not sure I want to do a lot of risky activities, like drag racing every day for a week, until I get all that squared away.

I am 61, will turn 62 in November and am already fairly active and eat right...for the most part so I am also H/W proportionate and don't smoke or drink. Also I DO NOT wear or even own any Chinese clothing  ;) . I buy USA made stuff whenever I can.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:17:57 PM by AlanCasida »

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 11:16:41 PM »
Alan: Congrat's. I was fortunate enough to retire 17+years ago at the age of 55 after 33+ years at MichCon Gas Company in Detroit,.
At least in the utility industry they gave both my wife and I  (we each retired before we married ) full insurance coverage plus full retirements. 
We both are runners and that keeps us healthy. I still run about 700 miles a year usually 5.5 miles 4 days a week. But I do drink red wine to maintain my sanity.
FE's keep me on the search for more in life. Please keep exercising.
Richard >>> FERoadster

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 07:53:45 AM »
Thanks for all the well wishes. I will answer the questions posed here.
I work(ed) at the Wichita facility

I am not sure if I'll make to RMRW. I have yet to make it to the track due to the ongoing Corona virus thing. Also the transition to retirement requires me to go on COBRA insurance for a little while and I won't get my info until probably the middle of June so I am not sure I want to do a lot of risky activities, like drag racing every day for a week, until I get all that squared away.

I am 61, will turn 62 in November and am already fairly active and eat right...for the most part so I am also H/W proportionate and don't smoke or drink. Also I DO NOT wear or even own any Chinese clothing  ;) . I buy USA made stuff whenever I can.

I worked at BMAC Wichita when I graduated from KU in Mechanical Engineering.  Worked there from 1984 to 1988.  Good times in Do-dah!
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »
COBRA insurance? You don't think that's a coincidence do you, Alan? COBRA? Seems to me that racing should be REQUIRED under COBRA insurance! ;D

Congrats on your retirement. Something tells me that you'll find plenty to keep you busy. I do hope you will make it to Drag Week this year.

People don't realize it, but you can actually find clothing still made in the U.S. Several years ago, it took me a while to find suppliers for everything, but I've managed to get almost all my clothes made in the U.S.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 08:02:27 AM »
Alan, +1 with all!  I think you did the right thing and now have the rest of your life to look forward to.  Agree with Jay, you're going to like it.  I've been retired 5 years now from the petroleum industry and it seems like my timing was spot-on. Advise received when I retired was 1. Have something to retire to, and 2. Stay physically and mentally active.  Our FEs can provide a lot of those challenges, always something to learn.   

Our daughter just hit her 15th anniversary at Boeing in Seattle working in Flight Controls.  I hope she can make it as long as you did! 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic