Author Topic: Tunnel wedge intake with dimples on the floor? Joe-JDC  (Read 1340 times)

hwoods

• View Profile
Tunnel wedge intake with dimples on the floor? Joe-JDC
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:30:48 AM »
Joe, have seen some posts where you machine dimples into the floors of the plenums of intake manifolds.  I have seen comments on the low end torque of Tunnel Wedge intakes. I have a BBM Tunnel Wedge on my 445" stroker.  have you ever done this to a tunnel wedge?     Thanks
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Tunnel wedge intake with dimples on the floor? Joe-JDC
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 11:01:31 AM »
No, I haven't as yet.  I have had to correct TWs with turtles welded, and it was a pain because the #7 port had terrible turbulence from the weld and low pressure area created by it. A piece of aluminum angle welded in the floor is terrible, too. It disrupts the flow pattern, especially #7.   I would think that putting dimples in the plenum would be a good place to start if you have hood clearance issues.  I plan on using them in both of my personal TWs.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Posi67

• View Profile
Re: Tunnel wedge intake with dimples on the floor? Joe-JDC
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 01:15:42 AM »
The guy who did my head work as well as my Dove T-Wedge put a brass tube with dimples suspended from the roof of the plenum near the back carb pad. I'd pretty much forgot about this until this post but unfortunately everything is together on my engine now and I can't get a photo. I'm sure Joe would know exactly what was going on if he saw it. Idea was to equalize the balance for the back cylinders.