Author Topic: out with the old...  (Read 1214 times)

shady

• View Profile
out with the old...
« on: May 18, 2020, 11:18:28 AM »
...and in with the old. Yesterdays project was to put a vintage Hurst comp. + in the 4 dr. Gal.  I hated to do it but the factory shifter was just shot. It had about 4 inches of play in it and 2nd & 4th were back into the seat and no longer fun to drive. Mostly straight forward but the handle was nowhere close.  Cut it off, shortened it and got it where it needed to be and re-welded it. I never realized when I bought it, (sight unseen) that old Hursts had the handle welded on rather than bolted.  Sure makes the top-loader perform. As usual I had every tool I own under that car and was totally fa-bushed from the 400 trips to the tool box but well worth the results.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: out with the old...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 11:22:25 AM »
On my 63 I used the Hurst bottom and made my factory shift handle fit the Hurst bolt on pattern. This is on a big in/ out Toploader. I can slam through the gears and never miss a shift.

shady

• View Profile
Re: out with the old...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:13:25 PM »
I would have tried that if my hurst handle would have unbolted. It seemed like too much aggravation to keep crawling under the car to mock it up and I didn't want to modify the stock handle . I like to do mods that can be undone. Mine also is a big i/o and I'm pretty sure I can bang gears just a little faster than the Grump could. ::)
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner